Photo

Screenshot of the Week 300

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Poll: WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION?! (54 member(s) have cast votes)

PUREZC! PUREZC! PUREZC!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

Wow, all of the shots are outstanding this week! Nice job guys.

Orin XD - I lol'd a bit. It's a nice shot, and there's really nothing to criticize.

Russ - Is that a remake of Z1? Anyways, if I wasn't in the contest this week I probably would have voted for you. The only thing I see that looks out of place is the clashing styles between trees. Aside from that, your screens just get better and better Russ. Keep up the good work. icon_thumbsup.gif

Ironfist - Yeah...

Pokemonmaster64 - This is a solid classic screen. For today's standards though, it's a little square. By the way, the caption made me laugh. icon_smile.gif

Rem - Nice! I love the Origins tileset, so I'm a little biased, but there are a few minor issues with screen design. At the bottom right, everything is diagonal and at the top left, everything is square. It just looks a little odd imo. Everything in between looks fantastic though.

Lynker - This looks pretty good Lynker. I'd add some ground detail to spice it up a bit, but otherwise it's quite solid. icon_thumbsup.gif

Wow, lots of competition!
I rreally loved everyone's screens!

And this week I had fun building my screen, and that's what it's all about! icon_biggrin.gif

Edit - And ZebraStallion. I love the screen! I NEED that tileset! Too bad it isn't done icon_cry.gif

That's the spirit!
Although the tileset isn't complete, I think Molten_Onyx made a better version a while ago. You should PM him to see if he still has it. And thanks!

Edited by ZebraStallion, 07 November 2010 - 10:23 PM.

#17 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:30 PM

Seriously?
I work so hard on mine, and i don't get a vote, meanwhile while someone works for 10 minutes and gets 7 votes?
>:(

#18 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:40 PM

I get it all now! Ironfist's shot represents rebellion against the norm! It all makes sense now! Beauty in obscurity.

Also, to the people who commented on my screen being too square, I meant for that. I wanted to keep it as true to classic as possible without being too bland.

#19 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:03 PM

People vote for a screen on their on prerogative. There's no right or wrong way to do so... I'm sorry if you feel cheated, but that's the nature of the beast. Not everyone can be rewarded equally or fairly, and certainly not in a contest that has as many variables as this one.

I'd prefer it if comments didn't deal with the votes that a shot is getting, because those kind of comments can sway other votes without reason and generally don't have much substance.

#20 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:39 PM

I went for ZebraStallion's DragonBridge.

#21 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:24 AM

I nulled to be fair.

Myself: Nice! People lol'd at my screen. Its nice to see some humor, espically in the 300th SotW. I intended it to have a sense of seriousness with a dose of humor to go with it as well as being fresh. This screen (not exact) will be in Diamond Quest and to those who are interested in where I got the fox-people NPCs from (I know Russ is...). I made them myself, based on one of the default NPCs.

Russ: A bright colourful DoR screen, seemingly based on the starting screen of LoZ in a diffrent location of the overworld and there's nothing to really critsize. 7/10

Ironfist: What the heck? A HC ensemble of fireballs and HCPs. It only strikes out at me due to being surprised. 4/10.

Pokemonmaster64: A good'ol Classic shot. The problem is that there's not enough detail in this shot to draw me to vote if I hadn't entered. Your comment made me lol. 8/10.

ZebraStallion: WHAT IS VALOO DOING ON THAT BRIDGE! Whatever he's doing up there, he is at least blocking poor Link's passage to the building on the other side. Aside from that, the scenery looks good (I still don't like the mountains). 8/10.

Rem: Minish Match! Very detailed, but is that me or is there a perpspective clash with the trees compaired with Link? I would have voted for you had I not entered. 9/10.

Lynker: A little bland there. It wouldn't hurt to put some more detail in the sand/ground, but the rest of it is okay for a BS screen. 6/10.

#22 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:30 AM

I voted for ZebraStallion.

#23 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:22 AM

Sorry EZ, I was just expressing my feelings. I was kinda upset...

#24 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:06 AM

Voted for Rem, although Ebola's 8 color 3D is quite impressive for ZC.

#25 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

SotW 300? This is ZELDA!! (<would've been my caption, but I didn't entered anything) *ahem*

Voted for Lynker. It's not the best screen I've ever seen, nor is special or anything. But it's so much better than his previous screens, and I figured since he improoved a lot lately, he should get my vote. I actually quite like how it tunred out colour-wise. Also, I like how it's quite simple.
Though those bushes and the GB trees are No-no. I suggest replacing those graphics with some that look better in BS. Probably something from MC or those palm-trees from Tetra Trackers.

#26 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

I vote EZ this time around!

Why can't I vote for him. icon_frown.gif

Okay, seriously, I voted Russ. I thought it was solid and well-made, though there are a great deal of solid shots this week. icon_smile.gif Nice work.

#27 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:41 AM

Yeah the 300th SotW!!!
Good shots. Okay, Ironfist's is the worst shot. That's my opinion
I had to choose between Russ and Lynker. Because that are the only screens i would like to play in.
Russ's is a bit better but I'm fed up with DoR screens at the moment.
I left it to chance (Lynker or Russ)! Lynker won icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Avataro, 08 November 2010 - 10:44 AM.

#28 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

Thanks Shiek and Avataro :')

#29 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:14 AM

Ebola Zaire:

You didn't include your screenshot as an official contestant? MADNESS!!!!...

Orin XD:

Now THIS is a great example of DoR interior. All of the tiles are used correctly, and many of them are ones that people frequently misuse. And you even used the MC wooden house interior, with its unique palette! I like. I put a lot of effort into those walls and palette, so it's great to see someone using them.

Well, I guess there's one small thing I could criticize, but it's so small I'm not even sure it matters. You see, the light streaming through windows. The t-shaped cross beams on the window should be visible as a shadow in the sunbeam. There SHOULD be tiles for it somewhere in your version of DoR, though you'll need a translucency layer (I recommend layer 2).

But still: right off the bat, this is the one that got my vote.

Russ:

Hey, it's rather simple, but not bad. Not bad at all. Unfortunately, it's mostly landscaping. There's nothing going on with this screen. At least add some enemies or something.

My one criticism for tile use is the grass that lops over the edge of the cliff. It goes a bit too far over the edge and creates some awkwardness with the appearance and the walk flags.

Ironfist:

Not sure what this is all about. Is it a joke? Are you just using SOTW as the equivalent of carving your names into a tree? Ehhh. Not even worth further comment.

Pokemonmaster64:

Decent for a Classic screen, but physically it's quite cramped. There's hardly anywhere to move, and that tree in the bottom right splits the screen in a way that would be frustrating to the player since it almost looks like it should be possible to walk around it. I'd remove the bushes in the lower left and place an additional unwalkable combo to the right of the smaller tree. A rock or a bush would do. Or perhaps something more interesting than that.

I'm guessing the cake in the map frame is just a joke, serving as filler until you get an actual map. I dunno, I just don't think it's amusing. Also it kinda falls flat since it's too small to read. Eh.

ZebraStallion:

Hmmm. Well, here's the problem: you've got some really nice tiles and you're using them correctly, but there really isn't anything new going on here. We've seen all of this before. It's just moved around and remixed into a slightly different scenario. We need to see a bit more to be ensured that an interesting quest is being created here.

Also, two physical problems: first, those bushes on the left are a bit uncomfortably close to the edge of the screen (well, at least for my tastes). Secondly, the windmill entrance is definitely too close to the right edge of the screen. It'd be too easy to accidentally touch the side of the screen when you're trying to enter the windmill. Annoying.

Rem:

Pretty decent Origins III screen, though it'd be nice if there was a little more action than just two Oktoroks and Link standing there doing nothing.

Also, I know Origins III has has apparently fiddled around with my mountains, but I don't think the square corner grass tops you used are intended to be placed at the top of the grey diagonal ledges, like you did at the bottom of the screen. There's probably a diagonal equivalent in the tileset that would work better for that.

Lynker:

I usually discourage people from having ocean surf jut in quite so sharply. Ocean surf should hit up against the beach, but when you angle it like that, it tends to look like it's flowing... well... "outward."

Other than that, it's a fairly decent, average New BS screen. It kinda reminds me that BS tileset overworld palettes are a little heavy on the grey, though. Hmm.

Just noticed: a bombable wall. I guess this cave has two entrances? Well, I guess that's fair play, if multiwarp and screen state carryover are used correctly... I think you'd need both of those features to make it work without bugs.

Anyway, like I said at the top, Orin XD got my vote. Thanks to everybody for entering. icon_smile.gif I'm happy to see a good turnout.

#30 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:07 PM

I wish I could vote for EZ. icon_frown.gif

Russ gets my vote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users