• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

*THERE MAY BE SPOILERS, GUYS!*
So as human beings, there are many little things that we tend to gloss over when playing video games. This is one of the things that makes franchises like Zelda that are full of these quirky bugs and easter eggs so good. It really helps give a game replay value.

So let's make a list of the little things in the Zelda series it took you multiple playthroughs to pick up on.

My list will be all from Ocarina of Time, since I've played that one the most:
-Nabooru at the start of the spirit temple offers Link as a child an unnamed reward for getting the silver gauntlets. After giving you the Spirit medallion, she mentions how she never would have guessed how handsome Link would become and says something along the lines of "Maybe I should've given him that reward..." Maybe I'm taking too much from context alone, but I think I may have an idea what the "reward" was...O.o
-In Kakariko village, the windows on the houses aren't actually attatched. If you turn the camera right, you can see that they're floating a couple game inches off the wall. Graphical bugs can be so funny! icon_biggrin.gif
-The Twinrova boss is actually harder if you equip the Biggoron Sword (I usually skip it since it breaks pretty much everything else)
-I'm pretty sure you can only deal the killing blow (before the event) to Ganon with the Master Sword.
-Zelda reacts rather oddly when being trapped in that pink crystal. She kinda bends back and makes a kind of face that doesn't reflect being trapped in a crystal as much as being impaled. If I'm correct, in the 3DS version, they changed this
-A couple puzzles in the game require clipping your sword through walls...changed in the 3DS version
-The snake statue's boobs are hookshotable (this serves no purpose)
-The original blocks in the Spirit Temple contain an Islamic symbol
-The other water pillars in the realm of sages appear to have waterfalls madeof particles, unlike pretty much every other waterfall in the game.

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 12 July 2011 - 07:35 PM.

#2 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

Lmao! Link would have been one lucky son of a bastard if Nabooru wasn't captured by Twin Rova icon_wink.gif
Nah, a Zelda game wold have something....that....you know....kinky?

#3 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

In Ocarina of Time, there's the soldier in the back alley in Hyrule Castle Square who you can go back and talk to after receiving the Ocarina, just before you travel to the future. He's on the edge of death and spills a bunch of details for you about Ganondorf's plot. I believe there was a thread about it here a while back, but I'm too lazy to look it up...

Edited by PowerGauntlets, 12 July 2011 - 08:28 PM.

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:58 PM

-The Twinrova boss is actually harder if you equip the Biggoron Sword (I usually skip it since it breaks pretty much everything else)

You think so? It only takes three jump attacks to kill a stunned Twinrova, but you can only hit her twice per stun. You can kill her in only two rounds with the Biggoron Sword as opposed to the four with the Master Sword.

Let's see, what are some little things I've noticed...
- In Twilight Princess, there is a Goron in the Market Town that says "Keep this a secret from everybody", an obvious reference to "IT'S A SECRET TO ERR'BODY!"

- In the 3DS version of OoT, the Mario paintings in the Castle Courtyard has been revamped to illustrate a level from, what looks like it could either me NSMB:Wii, or maybe the up and coming "Mario 3DS".

- I think it is implied in some of OoT's in-game backstory, that the Sheikah were not always at peace with Hyrule. Read some of the stuff in the Shadow Temple. Things like "Here's lies the memory of Hyrule's bloodstained history full of greed" or something. This could be a reference to the War that occurred long before the game.

- If you go through the Cave of Ordeals in TP, twice, the post man will be in the last room, reading a letter, and ask what you are doing there.

Edited by Anthus, 12 July 2011 - 08:58 PM.

#5 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

-Majora's Mask is the best game in the series

This clear and well-established fact is actually not immediately noticeable to everyone! Craziness, I know.

#6 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(JoshSim @ Jul 12 2011, 10:23 PM) View Post

-Majora's Mask is the best game in the series

This clear and well-established fact is actually not immediately noticeable to everyone! Craziness, I know.

It took me three playthroughs to realize that fact. I was so shocked that I hadn't noticed it before!

#7 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

I usually realize how good a game is after 100% it. Since you're doing a lot more then just the story, it makes it 100% more fun! It makes no sense, but it's true!

#8 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(Anthus @ Jul 12 2011, 07:58 PM) View Post

You think so? It only takes three jump attacks to kill a stunned Twinrova, but you can only hit her twice per stun. You can kill her in only two rounds with the Biggoron Sword as opposed to the four with the Master Sword.

But my problem with the Biggoron's sword is that you can't use the shield while it's equipped, so your choices are to either keep switching swords or use an item in between that sheaths your sword. On top of that, I hated the battle in the first place because I keep running into Z targeting issues resulting in me not being able to aim my shield or just plain old getting frozen and losing a ton of health.

#9 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE(FefeRawft @ Jul 12 2011, 10:29 PM) View Post
It took me three playthroughs to realize that fact. I was so shocked that I hadn't noticed it before!
It's a subtle, but once you realize it, it changes everything!

#10 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:14 PM

- They never explain how old Kafei and Anju are.
- We never get to see the real Kafei by the end (Too obvious?)

#11 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE(Lynker @ Jul 13 2011, 12:14 AM) View Post

- They never explain how old Kafei and Anju are.
- We never get to see the real Kafei by the end (Too obvious?)

I'll give you the second one, but why would we need to know how old they are? That's like saying we never know how old Malon is in OoT. We have a rough idea, but we never find out. I think the first one is kind of a stretch.

#12 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:55 AM

Replies in bold!

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Jul 12 2011, 05:33 PM) View Post
My list will be all from Ocarina of Time, since I've played that one the most:
-Nabooru at the start of the spirit temple offers Link as a child an unnamed reward for getting the silver gauntlets. After giving you the Spirit medallion, she mentions how she never would have guessed how handsome Link would become and says something along the lines of "Maybe I should've given him that reward..." Maybe I'm taking too much from context alone, but I think I may have an idea what the "reward" was...O.o
I'm pretty sure she was hinting at a kiss. Why was she so cryptic about it?... Because the Zelda series was a little prudish back then. Made to be appropriate for 6-year olds, if they could figure out the game.
-In Kakariko village, the windows on the houses aren't actually attatched. If you turn the camera right, you can see that they're floating a couple game inches off the wall. Graphical bugs can be so funny! icon_biggrin.gif
Well, I think they did that to keep the windows from looking completely flat. I wouldn't really call it a bug. Just conserving polygons.
-I'm pretty sure you can only deal the killing blow (before the event) to Ganon with the Master Sword.
I can confirm this! It is true.
-The snake statue's boobs are hookshotable (this serves no purpose)
Hunh, hadn't noticed this one. What were you doing hookshotting her in the chest? icon_razz.gif
-The original blocks in the Spirit Temple contain an Islamic symbol
I'm not sure whether they realized it was Islamic when they made it, but yes, there was a big hooplah about that at one point. I don't see what the big deal was. It's just a crescent moon and a star.

Now, for my own contributions (all OoT since I've played it to freakin' death):

- If you hit the ground with the Megaton Hammer next to a wall with a skulltula, it will flash, die, and fall off. But if you keep pounding the ground, it'll continue bouncing off the ground until you stop pounding.
- You can get the heart piece above the entrance to Dodongo Cavern by backflipping over the railing at the overlook further up the mountain. It's a long enough fall to damage you, though.
- The Goron Tunic allows you to walk on some lava. Funny, it doesn't seem to include fireproof boots. You still get damaged every few seconds, but you can prevent this by targeting and hopping/backflipping.
- Some of the spiked floors in the Shadow Temple register as "lava" to the game. That means you can also use the Goron Tunic to temporarily walk on spikes in some places! Be sure to wear it in the Shadow Temple. Or, heck, anytime you don't have a Like-Like to worry about.
- There's the stuff in the windows of Hyrule Castle courtyard, but everybody knows about that.
- If you see Kaeporo Gaeboro (the owl) waiting for you at the entrance to Lake Hylia, you can skirt your way around him to avoid the auto-dialog, provided you keep your distance and climb the ladder to the right. Phew... Lousy stalker...
- You can get the heart piece on the roof of the house in Kakariko without the hookshot. Do it by climbing the watchtower, targeting, and side-jumping over the railing toward the house, directly left after you reach the top of the ladder.
- You can get another heart piece in Kakariko really early in the game by systematically tossing a Cuccoo onto the pile of bricks, jumping up, picking it up again, and tossing once more until you reach the top of the pile. Then use the Cuccoo to fly to the plank of wood. Avoid the guy walking back and forth by jumping past him, then glide down to the back entrance of the house which leads to a cow behind bars. (Poor cow.)
- Once again, you can use a Cuccoo to "cheat" and get a heart piece early in the game at Zora's River. Carry the Cuccoo from the bottom of the area all the way to the waterfall at the top, throwing it and picking it up again when necessary. Use it to cross the gap, and you can get the heart piece before you acquire the Boomerang.
- If you throw Deku Nuts at Ganon's face during his final form, they can stun him.
- If you throw Deku Nuts at Ganon's TAIL during his final form, they can damage him. In fact, you can finish this fight using only Deku Nuts, plus one final sword stroke.
- If you stay on the roads after nightfall in Hyrule Field, Stalchildren will not attack. Woo, Zelda 2 shout-out! icon_biggrin.gif
- If you stand on the drawbridge chains and wait for night to fall, then carefully walk across the top of the drawbridge, there's a large amount of invisible Rupees waiting for you. You can also just climb the chains and jump to get them in midair. Many newbies figure this one out, though.
- Deku Sticks may break when you use them to attack, but each hit does as much damage as one stroke from the Master Sword. If you Jump Attack with a stick, it will do as much damage as one stroke from the Biggoron Sword.
- The Water Temple can be completed without the Zora Tunic. It's not even necessarily that hard.
- Most inanimate wooden objects in OoT can be hookshotted. The same goes for most ladders and climbable walls. It's fun finding them.
- It's possible to complete the trading quest for the Biggoron Sword entirely without Epona. I've done it. icon_biggrin.gif
- If you can get a butterfly (as seen just outside Hyrule Castle) to land on your Deku Stick, it will turn into a fairy. I've seen it. But it's way too difficult to be worth trying -- I say don't bother.
- If Navi turns green and you can't figure out why, try playing the Song of Storms near where she turned green. Usually, a large fairy will appear that refills all your life. You can't bottle it, though. If Navi turns green in a dungeon, try playing the Song of Light instead.
- The Spirit Temple can be completed before the Shadow Temple. I prefer it, actually.
- At the fishing hole, you can cast your line at the front desk and hook the owner's toupee. He won't be very happy about it.
- Cut up a signpost, then pound the ground with the hammer. The pieces will bounce.
- If you play Zelda's Lullaby after cutting up a signpost, the pieces will float in the air and the sign will reconstruct itself. icon_smile.gif

...Well, that's all... for now, anyway. icon_wink.gif I've replayed OoT so many times I could keep remembering new stuff all day, it seems.

#13 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

The forest temple medallion has changed. It's the only thing I noticed that changed in the oot remake.

#14 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 13 2011, 08:55 AM) View Post

- Once again, you can use a Cuccoo to "cheat" and get a heart piece early in the game at Zora's River. Carry the Cuccoo from the bottom of the area all the way to the waterfall at the top, throwing it and picking it up again when necessary. Use it to cross the gap, and you can get the heart piece before you acquire the Boomerang.

I don't really think that's getting it early, that's usually when I get the heart piece.

#15 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 13 2011, 07:55 AM) View Post

- The Spirit Temple can be completed before the Shadow Temple. I prefer it, actually.

I actually first did it that way. I always thought that was the correct order, for a long time. It would make sense, Spirit Medallion comes first on the subscreen. Plus, in my opinion, Bongo Bongo is a much harder boss than Twinrova.

Alright... I only have one, it's from OoT.

-At the beginning of the game, in Kokiri Forest, you know the rupees you get from back-flipping away from the rocks? They're actually invisible, and fixed in one place, just above Link's head. I discovered this while randomly jumping off the fence right by the area. icon_razz.gif

Edited by Daemon, 13 July 2011 - 09:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users