1 screen massacre

• Please log in to reply
1044 replies to this topic

#1 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:31 PM

A loooong time ago, some buddies and I made this: The one second massacre.

For anyone interested, I think it would be cool to do a 1 screen massacre here with you guys. You basically make a screen within a day, enemies and all, then pass the quest to another person, who has a day to add a screen, enemies and all, who passes it to the next person...

We did this with music of course, each person getting a second, and you can hear the result.

I think it would be cool, and I'd play it.

~PnW

In fact, here's my first screen. Reply to the thread with intent to modify, then edit the post with the new version!

I hope this catches on...

Guidelines:

- There should be an agreement that the quest be playable (no difficulty ramps between screens, no insta death, no dead ends).

• Screen designers can change the adjacent two rows/columns of combos on adjacent screens to open/close paths between them. Within reason of course. This way an overabundance of linear or open screens won't hurt the flow of the quest.
  • Caves/Item cellars don't count as new screens.
  • New screen posts should have a ZQuest screenshot embedded in addition to a download link, so people can keep track of progress without downloading the quest each time.
  • Scripts should be allowed, as long as they're non-global (with the exception of items) and included in the buffer.
  • If you're placing down an item, be sure to check Tools->Quest Reports->Item Locations to be sure it isn't already in the quest.

Edited by peteandwally, 06 September 2017 - 11:01 AM.

• Anthus, Jamian and Binx like this

#2 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:38 PM

I express my interest in participating. One thing I need to know is the exact version of Zelda Classic that you used.

#3 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

You want a massacre huh? I'll put in a room if it's a room directly before the room Moosh puts in and directly after the room James24 puts in. ..I'll give you a massacre. :evillaugh: :P

[edit] Joking aside, this is actually a pretty interesting idea. It might be fun to play a single dungeon made by 40 people just for the WTF is happening with this quest factor! :)
  • Magi_Hero, Neppy, Anthus and 2 others like this

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

Hm, I overlooked this. Sounds interesting. Can we add multiple screens as long as there is someone else inbetween?

#5 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

I express my interest in participating. One thing I need to know is the exact version of Zelda Classic that you used.

I used the version on my mac (2.5 build 28), but I can switch to anything really.

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:38 AM

I really like this idea. In fact, I guess I'll jump right in.

Reserving screen 1:2D. Done

StaDr7y.png

https://www.dropbox....ssacre.qst?dl=0

Also some suggestions for additional rules, if peteandwally is okay with it of course:

• Screen designers can change the adjacent two rows/columns of combos on adjacent screens to open/close paths between them. Within reason of course. This way an overabundance of linear or open screens won't hurt the flow of the quest.
  • New screen posts should have a ZQuest screenshot embedded in addition to a download link, so people can keep track of progress without downloading the quest each time.
  • Scripts should be allowed, as long as they're non-global (with the exception of items) and included in the buffer.
  • If you're placing down an item, be sure to check Tools->Quest Reports->Item Locations to be sure it isn't already in the quest.

Edited by Moosh, 06 September 2017 - 06:48 AM.

• Eddy, Jared, peteandwally and 1 other like this

#7 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

All good suggestions.

tumblr_ovv8a8GPs81ron6tyo1_1280.png

https://app.box.com/...sae3i4xdccc2shv

Edited by peteandwally, 06 September 2017 - 10:59 AM.

#8 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

I'm not a big fan of this one. Besides the fact you'd be altering someone else's contribution without their consent, I think having "clunky" flow is part of the charm of a collaborative project. Obviously the goal of this project is to have fun making a group quest rather than making the best quest possible.

I don't like this one either since it creates too much disparity. People that can't script might feel they have little to offer the project because they can't match what other people have done with their screens, and so don't get involved. But I have far less objection to this rule than the former one.

I'd be happy to jump on board, though I only have 2.5 build 24 and 29.

• Anthus likes this

#9 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

@peteandwally: If the first screen is gonna be dungeon 1, are we gonna start Link with a weapon or hide the dangerous to go alone screen somewhere in the overworld?

I'm not a big fan of this one. Besides the fact you'd be altering someone else's contribution without their consent, I think having "clunky" flow is part of the charm of a collaborative project. Obviously the goal of this project is to have fun making a group quest rather than making the best quest possible.

I suppose I can see your point, but I think it's at least important in dungeons that we can modify door sets to add/remove connections to rooms. Seeing as dungeon design will be more complex and we could potentially design ourselves into an unwinnable key order situation.

I don't like this one either since it creates too much disparity. People that can't script might feel they have little to offer the project because they can't match what other people have done with their screens, and so don't get involved. But I have far less objection to this rule than the former one.

That's kinda why I specified FFC scripts over global ones. They tend to be more modular and accessible to newer members, so once something gets added to the quest, anyone can use it or not use it as they see fit. I guess I should have also suggested that when applicable, new scripts should come with setup instructions.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#10 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:45 PM

I suppose I can see your point, but I think it's at least important in dungeons that we can modify door sets to add/remove connections to rooms. Seeing as dungeon design will be more complex and we could potentially design ourselves into an unwinnable key order situation.

Ah ok. I can see dungeon design being an exception for that reason, but not overworld stuff.

#11 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:47 AM

This seems like a pretty neat idea. I'll probably hop in whenever and make something lol.

Also potential dumb question, but if you guys are working on the dungeon, would it be fine for me to come in and make a random overworld screen instead of continuing the dungeon? I assume that would be fine, but just checking.

#12 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

@Moosh I should have named that dungeon something else besides dungeon 1. I think whoever makes the 'it's dangerous' screen should place the continue point at the screen there. I only placed it on the first screen to test playability.

@Eddy Make a screen anywhere you want, connected or not to what has been done, just make a screen!

Who's next?

https://app.box.com/...sae3i4xdccc2shv

• Eddy likes this

#13 Dairyking

Dairyking

• Members

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

Made a new screen in 2.50.2. Hope that's okay.

rgAwAkx.jpg

https://www.dropbox....ssacre.qst?dl=0

• Jenny likes this

#14 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

my interest is piqued
  • Lightwulf likes this

#15 Dairyking

Dairyking

• Members

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:05 PM

I thought about making the "It's dangerous" screen somewhere as my screen, but I figured placing a heart piece and a sword-only path would be more fun. I might come back to make the start screen later, after a few more people make screens and assuming it still hasn't been made at that time.

Hm, I overlooked this. Sounds interesting. Can we add multiple screens as long as there is someone else inbetween?

I didn't see an answer to this, but I'm assuming it's okay?

• Lightwulf likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users