NSF8-bit

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

Hello there. I, and my brother have been working on an NSF of various Zelda themes, not previously available in 8-bit. These have been made for use with 8-bit tilesets (Classic, EZGBZ, etc.) in conjunction with the NSFs/GBSs from the actual 8-bit games (LoZ, Z2, LA, etc.) Personally, I find that the NSF is very helpful. Because I can't thing of anything else to say, here's the tracklist (the tracklist is also included in the .zip).

New Version as of 20th June 2017

New new version as of 31st December 2020!

(which means we've managed to keep to an approximate three-year cycle! whoop?)

Tracklist:

Spoiler

Changelog and (vague) Roadmap for the new version:

Spoiler

Future versions will contain more tracks, in a different order, and may make slight changes to existing tracks. To be clear, the tracks are in different locations (for internal logic) so it's not as simple as plugging in the new nsf.

This NSF was made using Famitracker Version 0.3.0 using the Konami VRC6 Expansion Chip. Credit to Brad Smith for the NSF Importer, used for Tt. 1 and 27.

All rights for the original music go to their respective owners

Oh, and make requests if you want. Enjoy!

Download link:

Mediafire: https://www.mediafir...ansf-3.zip/file

PureZC: http://www.purezc.ne...ge=music&id=501

(Old download links are on the PureZC download page)

Edited by klop422, 31 December 2020 - 12:26 PM.

#2 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

My request would be to add the download link, if it's available.  xP

#3 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

:doh:

YEs, it's available. I'm updating the first post

Edited by klop422, 24 July 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#4 ObnoxiousOboe

ObnoxiousOboe

Creator

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

The kinds of songs I'm looking for are Clock Town (1st day), Termina Field, Goron City, Zora's Domain, Middle Boss Battle (OoT), Boss Battle/Dodongo Boss Battle (OoT), and Molgera. Hopefully I'm not asking a whole lot!

#5 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

That's quite a long list!

For the next version, I think we were already planning on doing Clock Town Day 1, so there's that.

Termina Field will be put in the Overworld theme (which is a huge medley of them all)

I was planning on doing Goron City, but, in my opinion, the theme's just wrong without the Goron Voices, so I'll need sounds for that, preferably out of the Original game.

The others we could probably do without much problem.

Edited by klop422, 24 August 2014 - 08:32 AM.

• ObnoxiousOboe likes this

#6 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:00 AM

The TP's hyrule theme would be pretty good to have too, I'd also mirror Molgera's theme that was mentioned earlier, it's an amazing piece of music! The sword training theme from TP would also be very nice to have.

Nice work on the songs you have done already, though, the tempo seems to be a bit faster than the original on the dark world theme, was this intentional?

Edited by green-kirby, 06 September 2014 - 06:01 AM.

#7 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:10 AM

Well, unfortunately, you can't fine-tune the speed in the tracks on Famitracker. There are 19 different settings for 'speed', and a whole load more for 'tempo'. Tempo fine tunes it, but as the Famitracker Help says: "...some rows may play slightly longer than others and may be noticeable. To avoid this, leave the tempo setting at 150 (125 for PAL) and use only the speed setting to change BPM to ensure all rows get the same duration." The Hyrule Castle theme is also faster than it should be, but we've been going for the right feel, and the closest speed we can use.

On another note, I was wanting to do the Hyrule field theme from TP as well, but we're still getting round to it. I think for the next version, we're introducing a load of boss battle themes.

And, unfortunately, molgera has three percussion tracks, so we'll have to think about how to do that. But we should have it done at some point, possibly for the next version or the version after that. Same problem with the OoT shop theme, actually.

#8 Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:49 PM

Hello there. I, and my brother have been working on an NSF of various Zelda themes, not previously available in 8-bit. These have been made for use with 8-bit tilesets (Classic, EZGBZ, etc.) in conjunction with the NSFs/GBSs from the actual 8-bit games (LoZ, Z2, LA, etc.) Personally, I find that the NSF is very helpful. Because I can't thing of anything else to say, here's the tracklist (the tracklist is also included in the .zip).

Tracklist:

Spoiler

Future versions will contain more tracks, in a different order, and may make slight changes to existing tracks

This NSF was made using Famitracker Version 0.3.0 using the Konami VRC6 Expansion Chip

Forgot to add the download link:

Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.../zeldansf-1.zip

you music is really cool

can you do a Remix of zelda 2 adventure of link's battle music?

maybe some GameBoy Dungeon music too?

#9 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:32 PM

1 is quite good and 6 is excellent (sounds a bit like Kirby's Adventure :) ). Some of the other tracks have instrumentation choices that don't feel right, and 11 is too fast.

#10 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

can you do a Remix of zelda 2 adventure of link's battle music?
maybe some GameBoy Dungeon music too?

With the Game Boy Dungeon themes, do you mean remixes or just transcribing. If you need the themes, you can download the .gbs and .nsf files on Zophar's Domain and probably other places.
If you're looking for remixes... I would be reluctant. Most of these are supposed to be transcriptions so that people can use themes from more modern games with 8-bit tilesets (so that the lazy people like me don't have to learn to use the hard ones). The Z1 overworked is more than a remix; it's a medley of all of the overworked themes (or it will be). If there were something to add (other than 'epicness' which I don't think we need, to be honest), then maybe.
I could add them to a different NSF, maybe.

Edit: Cukeman, any chance you could be more specific in terms of the instrumentation? If so, we could try and see if we could improve upon it.
And, in terms of tempo, I explained that a couple of posts ago. There is a technique we could try, but I'm not sure it'll work.

Edited by klop422, 16 May 2016 - 05:11 PM.

#11 Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:07 AM

its ok I switched my quest style its now gameboy style

I meant just making them sound like they fit it with the rest of the music

#12 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:29 AM

New version as of today!

Look in the OP for details

#13 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:08 AM

New Version as of 20th June 2017

Tracklist:

Spoiler

Changelog and (vague) Roadmap for the new version:

Spoiler

Future versions will contain more tracks, in a different order, and may make slight changes to existing tracks

This NSF was made using Famitracker Version 0.3.0 using the Konami VRC6 Expansion Chip

Download link:

Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.../zeldansf-2.zip

(Old download link is on the PureZC download page)

The maximum track that it is possible to select in 2.50.x, is Track 8. Shoving all of these into one NSF probably wasn't the best solution. I'm not sure how best to split it apart, but I'll look into it.

Is there any chance of giving the Z3 Boss Victory Jingle the same treatment?

#14 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:13 AM

The maximum track that it is possible to select in 2.50.x, is Track 8. Shoving all of these into one NSF probably wasn't the best solution. I'm not sure how best to split it apart, but I'll look into it.

I'm 100% certain that I've selected higher track numbers in both the editor's music player and the game (i.e. the dmap editor. in 2.50.2, and it's played back in the game).

...Huh. A fresh download doesn't let me pick tracks at all if a music file has more than 8, in a new quest file. But it does on my own quest, which has had more than 8 tracks per music file in it since 2.50.0 (i.e. the first one I could ever run on a computer over here).

In any case, can I humbly request that be changed? I may have a check exactly how this all seems to be working and submit a formal request in the forum.

As for splitting it apart, we still have the famitracker source (because we need it to keep working :P), so if we wanted to split it into several smaller ones, then that would be fairly simple (either make various copies and remove all the tracks we don't want from each version, or finally update to a newer version and do a bunch of exporting/importing). Might sort them by purpose - town themes, boss themes, dungeon themes, etc. - if we decide to do that.

Is there any chance of giving the Z3 Boss Victory Jingle the same treatment?

This one?

Since it's short, probably :P. We're doing a couple jingles in the next release, so that one would fit right in.

I'll take a note of it.

#15 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 30 December 2020 - 09:17 PM

Watch this space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users