• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

The colors in the image's pallete are what you find in the main pallete of the LOZ tiles (with the overworld's colors in the level csets.) This image shouldn't use any more colors that what is in it's pallete (which means that the image only uses the colors in the LOZ tiles' main pallete.) The graphics in this drawing are meant to be 8-bit tiles. Are you familiar with 8-bit tiles in Zelda Classic 2.5? Cukeman knows all about that.

The image will need a bit more shading, as Shane pointed out. Nice of him to make a post here in this forum. Others might come, so I will post the links to my sound effects again (which I will use in my first practice dungeon.)
Nolysounds DX (tyrant sounds are in here)
Moblin And Others
1 For Ganon, 2 For Gohma

Edited by Nolornbon, 08 November 2011 - 08:50 AM.

#32 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

No problem. icon_razz.gif Just to point out something obvious you doing a good job so fa!. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Shane, 09 November 2011 - 05:16 AM.

#33 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

Okay, I did a search and found info about loading 8-bit graphics in ZQuest, and I figured out the rest on my own from there. (The problem before was my mind was stuck in version 2.10 and I forgot the capabilities of ZQuest in 2.5.)

Because of the angle of the sun, I didn't see why there should be shading on the roof, other than the shadow of the yellow things on the corners that stick up.
After I figured out how to do 8-bit graphics, I imported your picture and proceeded to add shading on the roof with the assumption that the lines are like roof-length shingles that overlap each other. The front of the roof was difficult to figure out; in my mind I wouldn't have extended the lines from the roof down the front but had something similar to what you'd see on the Greek Parthenon. If you let me change the lines to how I think would look better, I may be able to do a better job.

Anyway, without changing where you put your lines (other than raising the whole graphic 2 pixels to avoid the extra blank space), here's the result:
IPB Image

Sorry for the large size. This is how a screenshot in the 2.5 ZQuest came out after I cropped off the rest of the screen. I couldn't take a screenshot in the tile view (because of the flashing "8" on every tile) so I had to make them combos and place them on a screen. Here's the screen I put it on, for reference (and smaller size):
IPB Image
(For some reason, the dark yellow I chose came out as light blue. I need to learn more about 8-bit graphics to figure that out. icon_neutral.gif )

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Lightwulf, 11 November 2011 - 09:28 PM.

#34 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(Lightwulf @ Nov 11 2011, 09:26 PM) View Post

Okay, I did a search and found info about loading 8-bit graphics in ZQuest, and I figured out the rest on my own from there. (The problem before was my mind was stuck in version 2.10 and I forgot the capabilities of ZQuest in 2.5.)

Because of the angle of the sun, I didn't see why there should be shading on the roof, other than the shadow of the yellow things on the corners that stick up.
After I figured out how to do 8-bit graphics, I imported your picture and proceeded to add shading on the roof with the assumption that the lines are like roof-length shingles that overlap each other. The front of the roof was difficult to figure out; in my mind I wouldn't have extended the lines from the roof down the front but had something similar to what you'd see on the Greek Parthenon. If you let me change the lines to how I think would look better, I may be able to do a better job.

Anyway, without changing where you put your lines (other than raising the whole graphic 2 pixels to avoid the extra blank space), here's the result:
IPB Image

Sorry for the large size. This is how a screenshot in the 2.5 ZQuest came out after I cropped off the rest of the screen. I couldn't take a screenshot in the tile view (because of the flashing "8" on every tile) so I had to make them combos and place them on a screen. Here's the screen I put it on, for reference (and smaller size):
IPB Image
(For some reason, the dark yellow I chose came out as light blue. I need to learn more about 8-bit graphics to figure that out. icon_neutral.gif )

Let me know what you think.

The yellow came out blue, because you used a sprite color, I think. Something close to that, though.

#35 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

If you think changing the lines would be an improvement, then go ahead and do so. Nice to see that you learned how to import 8-bit classic graphics. The roof does have shingles, so shading it is a must.

Has anyone downloaded my sounds as of late? Maybe I should put all the sounds in one zip... icon_heh.gif Sounds links are below. Download and comment on them (and Lightwulf's work.)
Nolysounds DX
Moblin And Others
1 For Ganon, 2 For Gohma

#36 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

I am working on a video that will allow people to preview the sounds that are in the .zip files at the ends of the previous three links I posted. I will put that video in my album on Photobucket and provide a link to it below here. Images in the video are of various characters from when I used to play The Sims 2 (I now play the Sims 3.) I made all of those characters, except for Titania Summerdream (she's the elf woman smacking the punk guy.) My Cigarhead Bobman character is featured, but his muscular body mesh was made by somebody else. I wish I could upload the sound effects onto this site somehow.
This is the link to the video.
The woman with the cigarette in her mouth is a villain I came up with. Her name is Negaline, and her hair and her cigarette come from other creators on the internet (the hair is from Mod The Sims, and the cigarette is from Rosesims.) She was created in The Sims 3. Hope you like the Ganon sound that plays while her face is showing.

It looks like a lot of people watched my sound effects video. Would anyone care to post comments on it here? Remember, the sounds in that video are the ones that the three .zip files contain.

Have you been working on my Greek building entrance as of late, Lightwulf? I was wondering if you could complete it when you are done with your Level 8 in your quest.

I have an idea for a triforce alternative. It is called a golden star tetrahedron (merkabah.) I have a link to an image I made of it below.
IPB Image
Could somebody make a classic-tiles version of this with the proper shading? Color scheme should be that of a standard triforce piece.

Edited by Nolornbon, 04 December 2011 - 01:43 PM.

#37 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

Sorry for the wait. Here you go:
IPB Image
I designed it to look like it has one of those carved-stone motifs featuring 3D-looking people/animals/whatever in the middle of the front of the roof.

Also, I tried my first hand at doing a classic merkabah. I didn't think it looked that good to only use the base red & orange, so I also used the secondary colors that come with the CSet ( CSet 8 ) to differentiate the background-arrowhead-thing from the three triangles in front. Also, I flipped it horizontally. I left it in bitmap form and at twice normal size so it's easier to see. Here it is:
IPB Image

I should be viewing your video later today or early tomorrow; I'm just a little tied up right now.

Edit: Okay, viewed it! Interesting characters you have on there.
Of course, I've already listened to all the sounds before seeing the video, but it was neat to hear them in order. (Plus, the video saves time over opening each one in Audacity to listen to! Still, if you have a hard time hearing a specific sound or want to hear a specific one again, opening the file in Audacity is the way to go.)

Yeah, I had a little trouble with posting this post earlier. I finally figured out it was the .bmp of the merkabah that was problem, so I uploaded a .jpg version so my post would actually post instead of giving me errors. I made it so that the link on the .jpg leads to the .bmp version of it.

So let me know what you think of each. I wasn't sure about the merkabah, but when I looked at it again just now I thought the colors were okay.

Edited by Lightwulf, 05 December 2011 - 05:15 PM.

#38 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE(Lightwulf @ Nov 11 2011, 06:26 PM) View Post

In 8-bit color mode avoid CSets 12, 13, and 14. Also remember that colors in CSet 6 change when you get a ring,
and colors in CSets 2-4 will change when (and if) your DMap Level Palette changes.

Edited by Cukeman, 05 December 2011 - 02:57 PM.

#39 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

Thank you, Lightwulf. The tiles look just fine and I like the carving you made on the Greek building entrance. icon_awesome.gif

I thought posting that sound effects video would be a good idea. It is good to hear that you like the video and the characters I made. icon_biggrin.gif

#40 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

So, do you think the "shading" on the merkabah looks alright? I say "shading" because the only thing close to shading is the use of the red on the background shape. The front three triangles really don't have any shading at all (other than the difference between the fill color and outline color). In the above picture, the colors got a little distorted when I saved the .bmp to .jpg format, but I set the link to the .bmp version so you could find the undefiled version of it.

The original Triforce sprite has a white outline and flashes by changing to CSet 7 (the blue CSet next to the red CSet being used). I could implement using white in some or all of the outline for the front three triangles.
Do you think I should go that far, or is it perfect as it is?

@Cukeman: Thanks for the clarification! It helps my understanding of 2.5 a lot.

#41 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

Your suggestions sound quite practical. White outlines would be a very good idea. If you can get the merkabah to flash like a triforce piece, that would also be good. If you feel that the shading needs to be improved, then go ahead and do so.

If you want to use the castle and the Greek building in any of your future projects, you can do so. I wish to see a future for these graphics in the community.

If you ever get time, see if you, Cukeman, or Koh can turn the image below into something more suitable for a custom classic dungeon set. The color scheme matches that of a standard classic dungeon.
Custom classic dungeon interior idea is here.
The purple outlines show where the black outlines should be. The borders on the walls are slightly raised, and the floor tiles should be shaded similarly to how standard classic floor tiles are. Who knows, maybe you will have for yourself the beginnings of a unique look for your Level 9 in your quest. A win/win situation is a good situation.

Edited by Nolornbon, 07 December 2011 - 12:46 PM.

#42 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hmm, that's quite the idea! Classic already has the diagonal floor tiles. I could see this happening!
Not sure if I'll put it in level 9, ... but ... hehehehehehe!! Sweet! I don't want to say my plans yet; don't want to give too much away.

Anway, cool design! I need to try and finish my level 8 first before working on it. It's coming along nicely, now that I have the attic walls I need.

#43 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

What do these attic walls look like? I would like to see them. Also, your newest submission to the loose tiles database has finally appeared. I gave it five stars, for it is a very useful addition to the classic set. Your tiles give much more potential to the classic set.

I think it would be a good idea to give your level 9 a unique look considering the fact that your level 8 is a mansion.

#44 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

Thanks! I appreciate your support of my work.

I posted some screenshots of the attic on the last page (post #49) of my thread in the Quest Project Discussion if you want to see them (click the link). Ica44 helped me design the wall corners. To compare the attic walls with the rest of the mansion's walls, you can also check out the first post on the second page (post #16) for a room charred by a fire gleeok, as well as the screenshots I posted on the third page (post #43) for some other rooms I created. I will be posting more screenshots there as I get them done.

Not all of the dungeon is a mansion, though. Just a big section of it (with 3 floors including the attic). The other part of it uses dungeon tiles and is the lighthouse portion of the dungeon. The entire dungeon is known as the Haunted Lighthouse.

Oh, level 9? Well, I think I could agree with you, since level 9 is going to be in the underworld, but I have a secret area that I'm planning on creating that I was thinking on using it for. I might just use it for both since they're both in the underworld, so we'll see.

#45 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

Pleas forgive this double-post; it's on a different topic than the last one.

I went ahead and fixed up the merkabah symbol so that it looks decent when it flashes. All you have to do is put this graphic on your tilesheet, go to your Item Editor, open the one for "Triforce (whole)", click on the graphic, and select this one on your tilesheet. It uses CSet 8 and flashes between CSets 8 and 7. Here is the graphic:
IPB Image

Now, I don't know how you'd do Triforce fragments using this thing. I guess using the 6 Triforce piece rule might work; it's just the front 3 pieces (I would think) would look different than the 3 pieces for the back. What do you think?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users