• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

You've got some good ideas going here, keep it up icon_smile.gif
Not many people (that I know of) work out building designs/interiors.

#17 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(Nolornbon @ Oct 19 2011, 03:49 PM) View Post

I would prefer the castle to be drawn in 3D and to be 7 tiles wide and 4 tiles high. It also goes back about 4 tiles. The dome on the top is circular and has a diameter of 3 tiles. The castle should be gray with the dome and the ornaments being blue and the door being open (black.) Basically, it should be colored like Level 8 in the first quest of The Legend of Zelda (The Lion.) Proportions can be taken from the drawing. Show the graphic based on my drawing here and I will evaluate it. If all goes well, NES quests will have a new dungeon entrance.

Sweet!

Hey, I'm currently working on this, just so you know. I'm a bit busy so my time here is limited, but I am working on it. If I'm lucky, I may finish this building this weekend (but unfortunately I can't promise that; at any rate, it's in progress).

One thing, though: For the generic pallettes that come with classic, there's no overworld pallette that has gray. What I'm doing is using the two grays that come with CSet 6 (Link's colors for the mirror shield) on CSet 4 (the white overworld pallette). Those combined with the two water colors already on CSet 4 should be okay, right?

#18 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

It is nice to hear that you, Cukeman, like my stuff. It is true that not many people try to make unique buildings and unique dungeon interiors. Have you listened to any of my sound effects? There are some good ones.

That will do just fine, Lightwulf. I can be the guy behind pre-rendered graphics and you can be the guy behind classic graphics. Together, we can breathe new and better ideas into the ZC community. There are some sound effects you might not have heard, so I will place the links to all my sounds .zips below. The one Ganon and the two Gohma sounds should interest somebody. You should already have the first sounds .zip file, Lightwulf. You might not have the other two.
Nolysounds DX
Moblin And Others
One For Ganon, Two For Gohma

#19 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:59 AM

Oh, don't worry, I downloaded the new sound files after you posted them.

Good news: I've finished version 1.0 of your castle.
I say it that way because I expect to get some feedback on how to make it look better, so I can then go back and fix it and post it again.

Anyway, here's version 1.0:
IPB Image

1. I'm not sure if the scattered dot pattern for the shadows looks good. Since this is supposed to be "classic", should I remove the shadows or do them differently?

2. I'm not sure if I have the shadow on the front of the dome correct.

3. Again, this being for "classic", should I use the two shades of gray or make them all the light gray?

4. I wasn't sure if the stone heads were supposed to look just like classic level 8's map or if you wanted them just like they were drawn; right now, I made them just as you drew them. I was considering making them more like the lion head shape from classic level 8's map.

5. Are the walls how you intended? Or did you mean for there to be no courtyard but just one big rooftop?

6. One other thing, since CSet 4 actually has the color white, is there anything on here that you want white (like the star, for instance)?

#20 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:04 PM

The courtyard looks nice for the interior of the castle, but could you make another version that has a closed roof and has a more rectangular shape (with the north and south sides being wider?) The coloring looks very good, and yes you can use the scattered dot pattern for shadows. Just make the darker spots solid. Again, keep and improve the version with the open courtyard and make one that is more rectangular and has a closed roof (with the north and south sides being wider.) No sense wasting good work. icon_wink.gif

Shadows should fall towards the southeast just as some of them do. The shadow on the dome looks good, but the two head pillars should be a lighter gray (same with the star.) The lion shape for the heads you mentioned will do just fine. For the sake of beauty (and because I want people to use this,) I like the two shades of gray you used. Just make the heads and the star a lighter gray (or white if that would be easier.) Color the door frame the same way. The features that are colored blue look fine colored that way, and the features on the walls look fine (though there should be a third trapezoid feature on the back wall centered between the other two in your courtyard one.)

This creation that you made based on my drawing is looking promising. You are a skilled artist, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. icon_awesome.gif Don't get discouraged if anybody says that this is garbage, because what you have made has the potential to be very popular and widely used. It truly is that pretty, just keep my suggestions in mind and make the improvements I mentioned. I need help with making tile graphics because I lack artistic skill and desire. You, however, seem to have both.

Thank you for downloading my sound effects.

#21 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:34 AM

Gee, thanks. icon_kawaii.gif

Anyway, if you're sure you want it wider (8 tiles instead of 7), that's fine with me; it is how it is because you had said a width of 7 tiles. With a width of 8 tiles, though, be aware that there will have to be two "walk down" (or "walk up") combos for the entrance with half of each combo unwalkable. (What I mean to say is that I'm keeping the proportions in the middle tiles the same but shifting everything a half-tile to the right.)

I've already worked on fixing the colors how you were saying. I made the door frame white. I made the star white, with a few tan pixels of shading, and I included white with both grays (& black/seethrough) on the two heads. I'm not sure if the things on top of them are supposed to be torches or what, but I changed the color inside them from tan to white.

By the way, what did you mean when, for the shadows, you said to "make the darker spots solid"? Are you saying the spots closer to the building?

#22 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

The things on top of the heads are lightning forks. Could be useful as a potential trap for players. The building should stay seven tiles wide, just make the distance between the north and south walls shorter (about as long as the blue dome's current diameter.) There should be a solid roof on the building, as that is what I had envisioned. You can make another version of the building which is like what you have posted, though. That way there is a square castle with a courtyard and a rectangular castle with a closed roof. The shadow parts closer to the building should be a more solid color (the colors you are using themselves are fine,) but the outer edges of the shadows that are farther from the building should have a scattered dot pattern.

I have a good computer now and Gimp, so I can draw out the black outlines of future projects and put basic color information in them. I can't shade to well, so I will need your assistance on that part. As least you will have a good idea of what the shapes and the colors will be, though. When you have finalized the graphics you are working on, put our two names in white below them. That way, everyone will know that you were of great assistance to me. If we manage to make enough graphics, I might be able to update my last loose tiles submission, which was a bland one. It would be nice if Cukeman could assist here as well, but I don't know if that will ever happen. I will always have the names of myself and those that helped me with the graphics that are made, as it is safe to say that some people do not read the credits on the submission pages.

#23 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

Okay, here's the deal.

Before I saw your post this morning, I had went ahead and made a version of the castle extended to 8 tiles wide. After I saw your post, I went back and modified the original to fit 7x7 tiles. I'm posting both of them here so you can take your pick of which you prefer:

IPB Image
Versions 1.2 and 1.1

I'll have the closed-top versions done today sometime.

Edit: Okay, it took longer than I thought to make time to finish this, but at least it's done!
Here they are with closed roofs (Versions 1.21 and 1.11):

IPB Image

Just let me know what you think.

Edited by Lightwulf, 02 November 2011 - 02:59 AM.

#24 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

They look marvelous, Lightwulf. I prefer the 7x7 one because Zelda Classic's screens can only be so big. However, both sizes can be kept and released to the public. The castles are well made, just be sure to put our names under the 8x8 ones as well.

It is shocking that none of the other members want to post here, despite your artistic skills and my ideas. icon_sigh.gif CastChaos might still be working on his Shadow Wars III quest. Maybe he will find the castles to be appealing (and my sound effects too.) Speaking of my sound effects, what did you think of them? Do any of them have a future, like perhaps my Ganon one? icon_shy.gif

CastChaos has a topic for Shadow Wars III here. Come see what the quest could be like.

As a treat, here is a map I made sometime in the past.
Woods Area

Edited by Nolornbon, 02 November 2011 - 10:38 AM.

#25 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

Actually, those castles aren't two different pictures side by side. I put them both in the same picture file, which is why I only put our names on it once.

Now, I wanted to point out that there is extra shading on parts of the front of the castle in versions 1.21 and 1.11 that is missing from versions 1.2 and 1.1.
Should I fix that and keep them both (meaning should we keep open courtyard and closed roof versions)?

Regarding your sounds, I thought I'd give you some constructive criticism. Honestly, I don't know how you made some of them. Nice work!

- Some of them seem a bit long for active gameplay. If you were to use the Gohma sound(s) you made to replace the standard "gasp" sound for the Gohmas, it seems like the sound would still be finishing when it was time to start again. I'm not sure if Audacity or another program can compress the sounds so that they play quicker?
- I really like the Fire Boomerang sound; but to use your Magic Boomerang sound, it would be better if it were compressed so that it can be repeated quickly (like the Fire Boomerang sound, but it can be a little slower than that one).

- I wasn't sure how some of them are to be used. For the "Bad Link" one, do you mean the Link the player controls, or like a Dark Link? For the "Distant Curse", it does sound distant, but what kind of curse are you talking about - a weapon/item curse from a Bubble enemy or something else?

- However, there's one sound that I just don't get, I'm sorry to say. icon_frown.gif "Cracktorok Hurt" sounds like a drill being revved a few times, not like a hurt enemy. If the tones varied, rather than all being the same note/tone repeated, that might make a difference. Also if it were compressed a little, that would help.

For the majority of them, I can foresee uses for them.

That Woods area looks nice for a Classic map!

#26 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:27 AM

I wish to keep both the closed roof and the open courtyard versions, so both should have the shading. I will need to assign your graphics the classic tiles colors when you are done (the same pallete that the image below has.) This is easy with a free drawing program called Gimp. The image below is a rough draft of something else I would like to see in the classic tiles style.
IPB Image
All it needs is to be shaded properly. I can draw and put in basic colors, but I can't do shading. I don't wish to be criticized by Robin and Alestance... again. Can you (or Cukeman or Koh) put shading on this for me?

The distant curse sound is meant for an evil spell being fired in the distance by a wizard. The bad link sound can be used for dark link when he speaks. The sounds should loop just fine in Zelda Classic when they are used as ambient enemy sounds (the sounds boss creatures make when they are on the screen, though in 2.5 any enemy can have such a sound.) Looping is an issue when the sounds are used for when an enemy gets hurt. Luckily, two hurt sounds from an enemy can't overlap, so the new one cancels out the old one. I guess I should tweak the cracktorock hurt sound. As for how I made my sounds, I used a microphone to record various sounds and then used Audacity to edit them. Audacity is a free sound editor and it is very powerful. I you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, use the beta version of Audacity.

#27 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

I've been away from the site for a while, partially because I just got the RAM upgraded, and partially because I needed time to work on my quest.

Here's the final version of the castles, all in one picture so that whoever wants one only has to download one file and choose one to grab:
IPB Image

As for your picture, good job!
I was concerned because I don't know what CSet it will use in ZC. Are you going to have a custom pallette with those colors?

#28 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:54 PM

Thank you for completing the castle! It looks quite professional!

The picture I drew is intended to use the same main pallete that the default tiles of Zelda Classic do. The level palletes are the ones for the standard overworld coloring (what is seen in Hyrule of the first Zelda game.) However, the picture is meant for 8-bit tiles. By looking at it, you can tell that it needs some shading. That is what I would ask you to try to do with it. It should be noted that all parts of the window frames are the same color. Do you have Gimp? With that program, you can import the pallete in the drawing (which is a .gif image.) There is a help guide for Gimp, and it can be found at the program's site.

#29 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

I'm not sure if you meant to only use the colors found in your picture, because that's what I was thinking when I made this:
IPB Image

Again, I'm not sure if you intended to use more colors for shading. If so, I can adapt this.

#30 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

Looks good I feel like they lack shading on the roof.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users