Photo

MotM 1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

Poll: MotM 1 (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:22 PM

http://h1.ripway.com...sh/zelda065.gif

o_o here, it's the exact same map I submitted.

#17 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:24 PM

Ouchiwawa, I thought you guys would appreciate some sidescroller action... Eh whatev, I'm as new at this as most of you are... Well, maybe next month you'll like it better. Overworld, eh? I'll keep that in mind... 'Sides I don't have many dungeons that are only one floor. icon_razz.gif

Either way, making that sidescrolling level was fun. You oughta try it sometime. icon_smile.gif Also, do you have any idea how hard it is to get fully functional moving platforms working in 2.10? icon_blah.gif icon_lol.gif

#18 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ May 5 2008, 07:22 PM) View Post

http://h1.ripway.com...sh/zelda065.gif

o_o here, it's the exact same map I submitted.

Dang, I knew I should have voted for you even though I couldn't see the map. Add a little bit of tree variety, and it will be 100% perfect.

#19 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

Castchaos'd

Joe123: The execution was excellent here, as is all of the forest effects, and the tree colors, the thing that prevented me from voting here is that considering it's a map, it looks pretty dang similar to Migo's. You both have differences, but that is still how I see it.

Moonwhisper: I like the map, there are the few slight alterations in geography, such as the flute boy, but you did it well.

Migo: See Joe123, everything is done well, You've got a nice northern passage.

Pheonix: Well, dungeon shots can be done, but it would've been a lot better if all of the chambers weren't the same size.

Plissken: Very nice, the grassy plateau was really nice. Reminds me much of Lost Isle.

Schwa: A good dungeon, but as showcasing value, it could use work, you need a focal point somewhere, in fact, everyone needs a focal point.

Castchaos: Vote here, you really got something here, you show not just a location, but an enormous land area, with several things to showcase, even if it doesn't have one focal point, I notice creations, of form and stature. Even if they are blocky.

Everyone, this is me personally, but you guys that are just showing locations, great and all, however, showing a location is boring. You guys need to show a creation that you have made with so many screens in harmony. You need a SCENE, not a geographical map. What I mean is, I'd vote for something like my "outdated the rock" map, because all of the screens together, made this big formation, which would be the focal point. Enormous creations like Castchaos's showed me a lake, a mountain fixture, a town, a castle, and so forth. Which drew my vote.

#20 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:16 PM

The banjo guy is just a temporary placeholder until I get a flute boy sprite.

#21 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE(Nuvo @ May 5 2008, 08:46 PM) View Post

Castchaos'd

Joe123: The execution was excellent here, as is all of the forest effects, and the tree colors, the thing that prevented me from voting here is that considering it's a map, it looks pretty dang similar to Migo's. You both have differences, but that is still how I see it.

Moonwhisper: I like the map, there are the few slight alterations in geography, such as the flute boy, but you did it well.

Migo: See Joe123, everything is done well, You've got a nice northern passage.

Pheonix: Well, dungeon shots can be done, but it would've been a lot better if all of the chambers weren't the same size.

Plissken: Very nice, the grassy plateau was really nice. Reminds me much of Lost Isle.

Schwa: A good dungeon, but as showcasing value, it could use work, you need a focal point somewhere, in fact, everyone needs a focal point.

Castchaos: Vote here, you really got something here, you show not just a location, but an enormous land area, with several things to showcase, even if it doesn't have one focal point, I notice creations, of form and stature. Even if they are blocky.

Everyone, this is me personally, but you guys that are just showing locations, great and all, however, showing a location is boring. You guys need to show a creation that you have made with so many screens in harmony. You need a SCENE, not a geographical map. What I mean is, I'd vote for something like my "outdated the rock" map, because all of the screens together, made this big formation, which would be the focal point. Enormous creations like Castchaos's showed me a lake, a mountain fixture, a town, a castle, and so forth. Which drew my vote.

Oh, I so agree... Having a full overwolrd instead of one are is MUCH more fun to look at.
I haven't finished my overworld yet though, and I'm a little scared that it'll be way to big fro just one map.... we'll see.

#22 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Polm The Fathomless (Slime)

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:44 PM

I voted Plissken.

#23 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:48 PM

Joe123:
Nice. Foresty.

CastChaos:
Even though it can be better, it's great. I love how you used the entire thing and whatnot.

Moonwhisper:
I don't care how repetitive the trees get. Seems exactly like TotG and I just love it. Vote.

Migokalle:
Nice. No complaints.

Pheonix:
Freeform dungeons. Make them.

Plissken:
That's some sexy pure.

Schwa:
I like it, just seems to not be amazing though. Know what I mean? Very playable but not graphically overwhelming.

#24 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:25 AM

Joe: It has a mystical fairy-ish feel, which I like in Zelda games. Its not exactly new material as you displayed this piece once before, or maybe twice. That doesn't draw from the fact its still a good and well-built piece.

Castchaos: I don't exactly like that big open space in the bottom right, it feels incredibly empty. Your mountains and water-platforms are boxy, which isn't quite how nature works. The house on the water... was it flooded? I suggest making custom water edges around that house.

Moonwhisper: At first I didn't recognize this piece, but NOW I see it is LTTPGB! Very nice thing you pulled off!

Migo: This is another cool looking overworld shot. Its very smooth, yet very sharp. Kind of like icon_cheese.gif It looks very nice, except for that LTTP tree with the different set of leavess They clash horribly and it doesn't mix well. Even if that tree has a specific significance, the leaves still need to match the style of the rest of the game.

Pheonix: Very solid dungeon. I can almost see it play through my head! I never really liked that shade of green, though. Its not your fault, of course... or maybe it is, but I won't hold that against you.

Plissken: O M G! SKULVAGIA! Is this place a dungeon or an overworld map? It looks kind of like a dungeon to me.

Schwa: You did something different, but the lack of side-scroll tiles make this look very under-detailed and unpleasant to the eye. This is far from your fault, but it also takes away the value of it. I'm sorry.

All in all I voted for... hmm... its a very tough descision... They're all really good in design! I can't decide right now! I'll vote on this later and tell you how I feel!

#25 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE(Nuvo @ May 5 2008, 07:46 PM) View Post

THERE'S the problem. I couldn't place my finger on it. Thanks. Yeah, I guess it's lousy unless you experience it in action... It's mainly about the interactive obstacles, not so much the asthetic, eye-candy value. (I still can't get over how cool my moving platforms are. icon_biggrin.gif ) Should I, like, make the brick wall graphics different shades? I'm thinking a gradient effect, where higher up in the dungeon the bricks are brighter and lower down they're a darker color. That would certainly give it a more asthetically pleasing effect, but still I'm wondering if it's enough... I may even use transparent layers to make the lower-down sections dark (like Link's Birthday DX Level 3) where only the torches on the wall provide circles of light.

Any suggestions?

#26 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:52 AM

Ok let's see here:

Joe: Bastard *votes*

CC: Crap

Moon: Brightly colored crap

Migo: Crappy colored crap

Phoenix: Crap

Pliss: Not bad, so you're right under Joe

The last guy: Dark crap

#27 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE(Nuvo @ May 5 2008, 10:46 PM) View Post

Everyone, this is me personally, but you guys that are just showing locations, great and all, however, showing a location is boring. You guys need to show a creation that you have made with so many screens in harmony.

Meh, I don't have anything more than just 'one' area in my quest that connects with palettes and such. I have an area for mountains, beach, lava wasteland thing...that's pretty much it right now. icon_razz.gif

Thanks for the votes everyone, after looking at mine again I noticed two more mistakes.... icon_heh.gif

Nulled obviously, but man if I didn't enter it would have been a tough choice between Migo and Moony, I love GB, and I love Migo's use of DoR. icon_unsettled.gif

QUOTE(Alestance)
Plissken: O M G! SKULVAGIA! Is this place a dungeon or an overworld map? It looks kind of like a dungeon to me.

You may not have seen me talk about this in other places but I'm still going to comment on even those who I have explained this to still don't seem to get it. The dungeon is directly underneath that area, all the stairs and such are entrances/exits back down into the dungeon. You will have to go out of the dungeon to get certain stuff in the overworld, like the roc's feather, and to get to different areas of the dungeon. Hope that explains it, and thanks for the vote. icon_smile.gif

#28 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:01 AM

Hmm........*explode* I can't decide between Moonwhisper and ChastChaos. Its a tough one.

CC- Its a map of ballad of a Bloodline! and OLD DoR! *votes*
MM- I can see the LTTP map remake, good job

#29 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:44 AM

QUOTE(Majora @ May 6 2008, 01:52 PM) View Post

Ok let's see here:

Joe: Bastard *votes*

CC: Crap

Moon: Brightly colored crap

Migo: Crappy colored crap

Phoenix: Crap

Pliss: Not bad, so you're right under Joe

The last guy: Dark crap

Have you drank a few bottles of wine/beer when writing that Majora? Or else you're just a jerk from birth, neither you did read the rules etc. You have to treat people with respect, not randomly say 'crap' or 'bastard'. icon_unsettled.gif

#30 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:33 PM

Alright, I have made my vote.

It was a tough decision between Joe, Migo, and Pliss, however I had to vote for Pliss.

Good job to everyone on this, You are motivating me to beat you all! icon_xd.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users