Photo

Screenshot of the Week 228

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 228 (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite screen!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:18 PM

Cool to get so much positive feedback. I've also added in flowers and some more details into that screen. I'll post an updated one soon in the screenshot thread. Thanks for the tiles as well Linkus. icon_wink.gif

#17 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:36 PM

Most screenshots of the week threads I don't usually sit and take my time looking at the screens and REALLY looking at them. This one was different, every shot had something unique or interesting in it. I loved them all, seriously - great stuff!

My vote went with Ebola, the screen layout was excellent, the pallete was eye-catching and the lightpoles were just awesome.

#18 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:02 PM

all of the shots were nice =). But I voted for Ebola, I like that palette icon_wink.gif.

#19 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

Ah, great turnout this week! I love it when so many people enter, it makes everything so much more competitive by getting a wider variety of styles.
gray0x: 7/10
The grayscale novelty factor has really worn off. However, mountain errors aside, it's not a bad screen. Good work.
Dawnlight: 9/10
Beautiful shot, simply superb. The palette sets a really great mood, and while the design is simple, it's pulled off very well. My only complaint is that I think the left side shadows were too straight, but that won't stop you from getting a great score.
Ebola Zaire: Flapjack/10
QUOTE(Relic @ Sep 14 2008, 05:33 PM) View Post

Ebola Zaire - A close second. Very nice shot, but it's too crowded. To make that shot really work, you'd need an extra tile on all four sides of the screen. As well, the tree in the upper-left corner needs to be moved one tile up, as the player shouldn't have to be forced to move around such a huge object just after a narrow walkway. Looks good visually, but it needs a bit of gameplay work
Yeah, I really wish I had accommodated for an extra tile at the bottom, the house was really a last minute addition and I didn't want to redo most of the screen. The tee is a problem, but I really wanted that tree in there and that was the only place to put it, lol.
QUOTE(lucas92 @ Sep 14 2008, 07:47 PM) View Post
Ebola Zaire: 8/10

Gb houses and minish cap tree is a no-no for me... Though I really love that bridge!
Those are actually high-detail edits of the GB houses and low-detail friendly versions of the MC trees. I think they go together like ugly and ape, but that's just me. icon_razz.gif The bridge took a few tries to get right in the palette, and it still doesn't fit extremely well, but you do what you can. icon_shrug.gif
QUOTE(hinsburg @ Sep 14 2008, 09:43 PM) View Post
Ebola Zaire: What kind of house is shaped like that? I also don't like the status subscreen very much.
Since when are any Zelda tiles shaped correctly? icon_razz.gif Yeah, the subscreen was rushed and I didn't particularly like it, but there were no glaring problems so I just went with it.
Evile: 9/10
As soon as I saw your name on the poll, I thought, "Well ****." You're not one to disappoint. Great screen with plenty of action and gameplay opportunities. The palette is good, but I think the water needs a little work. I can't really describe what needs to be changed, but it doesn't really look all that great at the moment. icon_unsettled.gif

Also, I WILL REIGN SUPREME!!! IPB Image
Majora: 6/10
It's alright, I would've cut out the 1x1 trees completely and added a whole lot more ground detail.
Molten Onyx: 7/10
Good design, but I'd recommend looking for a much more vibrant palette and putting actual ground below the canopy instead of black emptiness.
Nuvo: 8/10
Pretty much the same thing Relic said.

Had I not entered, I would have voted for Evile, with Dawnlight and Nuvo being close seconds. Good shots everyone!

#20 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:24 PM

Gray0x-Colors=monotony. Other than that, the screen is decently designed and very well detailed. I will point out(from a rather humble perspective) that the mountain height on the left is incorrectly done. 7/10.

Dawnlight-
More waves makes this a lot better than last time as far as water goes, but a lot of the top-left's elevation looks confused, because the shadowing is too close in color to the transparent water. Add a little more contrast and it'll look a little less confused. 7/10

Ebola-
The design is intricate and interesting, and the palette is good. Vote cast here. 9/10

Evile-
The palette and design are both great- there's something about the design that makes it seem a little plain to me... I don't know why, I can't think of a way to improve that. Overall very good looking screen, and I had trouble choosing between you and Ebola. 9/10

Majora-
Decently designed except for the water, which seems to end abruptly. The lack of detail makes the shot a little less appealing than it should be, but that could be easily remedied. 6/10

Molton Onyx-
The design is decent, but the colors seem a bit washed out and I don't like how the right side of the screen cuts off so much with the brush. Detail looks good. 6/10

Nuvo-
The tiles look great. No depth perception issues this time, although the rain is once again barely detectable- darken it or give it an outline. Design is good as well. 8/10

Edited by LostInHyru1e, 15 September 2008 - 10:26 PM.

#21 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Sep 15 2008, 09:24 PM) View Post

Nuvo-[/b] The tiles look great. No depth perception issues this time, although the rain is once again barely detectable- darken it or give it an outline. Design is good as well. 8/10

The rain doesn't need to seen does it? I mean, solid rain always makes it distracting. ALWAYS(well, 95% of the time)

I don't mean it to be seen to well, in the real world, you can barely see rain unless it's really thick, you only see it by the splashes it makes on the ground.

#22 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE(Linkus @ Sep 14 2008, 06:42 PM) View Post

Way to make an entrance Evile. If must certainly know where those bridge tiles are, The very maker of them should easliy know where they are. icon_wink.gif

On a side note, I was going to try and enter, but time was against me. Next week is one to look out for though, I can tell you that. People in chat should know what I'm talking about.

Yes.... just change the palette.... haha xD
Anyways, I'm voting for Evile, I think... I like Dawnlights too... but Evile said he'd kill me if I didn't vote for him... and, I don't WANT to die...
Other than that, all shots are great this week. Majoras subscreen is teh ****... literally... which means I don't like it. But there's nothing wrong with the shot itself.

Evile it is icon_biggrin.gif

#23 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Zelda and Pokémon Master •

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:45 PM

Wow, quite the selection this week. Let's see...

grayOx
--Another monochromatic shot... Nothin' wrong about it, though. I wonder what the original dungeon entrance looked like.

Dawnlight
--Whoa, that's awe--... wait, that's water? Dang it! I thought someone finally went through all the trouble to recolor some rocks to look like a deep chasm. That would be cool.

Ebola Zaire
--Wow. Nice bridge and lampposts! Also, nice name for the blockade! I love this one.

Evile
--I'm not quite sure that I like the palette, although it is a nice change of scenery. Also, I love MC tiles.

Majora
--Master Sword and Yellow... symbol thing? Awesome! Yellow on black contrast? Not so awesome. And I don't know why everyone uses that grass tile without some pieces of grass sticking up against the temple. Someone needs to fix that.

Molten Onyx
--I think that this may be one of the rare occasions that that aforementioned grass tile can be used non-sparingly. And I love how it's, like, the edge of the tree. That's cool.

Nuvo
--O.o Samus screenie. I like it, except that Samus has a black outline and everything else is trying to be... you know... not black-linish. Also, maybe you should try the New DoR grass tiles if you want that look. But nice screen, altogether.

... Tough vote here, but here goes. *votes*

I hope you win, EZ! I just love the creativity in the name, tiles, caption... awesome.

#24 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:06 PM

I just had my chance to vote before this week would be closed. Very good week indeed.

gray0x - 7/10
Nice job again with the game boy graphics and limited colors. Your ground details are nice.

Dawnlight - 7/10
Nice job with the elevations and the shadowing simultaneously. The ground details are also good.

Ebola Zaire - 8/10
This is fantastic! You sir get a cake, and it's not a lie. All the details are well done and go together. I shouldn't have to say how unique this screen is.

Evile - 7/10
Everything looks very well done. I don't see any flaws with it, although it doesn't seem as risky as some of the other shots.

Majora - 6/10
It's a good screen overall, although the right half of the subscreen portion seems over the top to me. It seems to distract from what is important, rather than look good while blending in. Ground details could go further, although it isn't bad looking either.

Molten Onyx - 6/10
Like the previous, the ground details are not quite as good as some of the other screens. The screen is put together very well, and that is what is best about it.

Nuvo - 7/10
It certainly takes something basic and makes it look interesting, and I always like seeing stuff like that. Those tree leaves are a very nice touch, and so are those floor tiles.

What sucks most about this week is that I can't vote for more than one person. Ebola gets my vote mainly because I simply think it is the best out of all of them. But everybody did a great job.

#25 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

gray0x - 1 vote = [2.22%]
Dawnlight - 9 votes = [20.00%]
Ebola Zaire - 15 votes = [33.33%]
Evile - 9 votes = [20.00%]
Majora - 1 vote = [2.22%]
Molten Onyx - 2 votes = [4.44%]
Nuvo - 8 votes = [17.78%]
Total Votes: 45

Ebola Zaire
IPB Image
A REAL LIFE OFFICIAL JR. TROLLEY HAT!!!!!!

Congrats on winning this week EBOLA ZAIRE!!!!!!! icon_wink.gif icon_biggrin.gif WHEEEEEEEEE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users