Photo

How would you rather test a quest?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you rather test a quest?

dfadsfadsf

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

So when you are testing a quest for someone, how do you like to go about it? Do you want to just jump in, and play it like a regular quest, and find bugs along the way, or are you strictly business, and wants maps/ details about what you are testing to make it a more streamlined process?

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

Blind is usually the best way, of course, if you don't know where to go, a guide would be nice, but otherwise, back when I did test, I did so blindly; it was much easier to find bugs that way. And more fun.

#3 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

I don't think I will vote for either because I rather try to find the items myself and explore first, and then use maps and etc. to find the rest and test the entire game. Of course it is best to utilize the second method if one does not possess much free time, as it is more objective, but I rather play a beta as a real quest as opposed to a chore.
But hey, what do I know?

#4 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Maps and guidance are probably most useful for the questmaker seeking feedback, but playing blind is usually more fun.

#5 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Playing 'blind' is a more realistic test scenario.

'Nuff said.

#6 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

I don't see any benefit to blind testing. I see potential for hindrances. Especially if the quest is in early development. Trying to figure out where to go and what to do on top of testing is just a needless complication.

Edited by SUCCESSOR, 22 November 2012 - 06:30 AM.

#7 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

Thanks icon_smile.gif

I agree that playing blind is more fun, and realistic. But I suppose it does depend on the status of the beta in question whether or not maps or guides would be appropriate.

For example, if people tested my project, they'd really have no idea where to go because the areas only connect to each other for the sake of testing travel, and do not reflect how they will connect in the final game icon_deformed.gif. In reality, playing this would probably be boring, and unrewarding, unless you were solely playing to test.

#8 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(MoscowModder @ Nov 18 2012, 06:02 AM) View Post

Playing 'blind' is a more realistic test scenario.

'Nuff said.

Yes, when you're a gamer. But when you're a beta tester, playing blind is 'wrong'. It depends on the level of professionalism you want to go for, but if you wanna do proper beta testing, that means playing the game in a way that's not the least bit fun - unless you like walking around actively trying to break the game. Cause that's your job as a tester.

Maps and details should be a given, though it might not be a bad idea to do a blind run before really diving into the testing, just to get a feel of the game.

Real testers are often given one specific area that they'll be working in for weeks, and the most I've talked to have never actually played a game they're beta testing all the way through until it was released, simply because that's not what you're supposed to do as a tester. A lot of people think their job is sitting around playing video games all day - and it is, but it's a lot less fun than it sounds like. Obviously I wouldn't expect people on here to test with the same level of professionalism, but as a quest maker, I'd never want to have a beta tester who simply wants to be one so he can enjoy the game.

So when THP testing comes around, keep that in mind if you wanna test. icon_wink.gif

#9 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

I suggest a approach that caters to both. Supply the testers with the necessary guide and maps to properly navigate, but leave it to them to do it blindly and give them the option of utilizing the resources you've given them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users