Photo

Screenshot of the Week 90

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick your favorite screenshot. (70 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick your favorite screenshot.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Jonathan

Jonathan

Wizard

• Members

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:44 PM

im aware that your PolygonX8
i read your profile

thankx il put snow on da tree
but at the moment no
im just to lazy
and im takin a zc break after finishing my house exteriors
@.@ roofing is hard work

if anyone else has suggestion im happy to listen

#17 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:04 AM

I don't know why people don't like the Pure tileset because you can still make a great screen with the set. Is that why I am losing the SotW? icon_razz.gif Anyways, I am going to give my two cents:

Jonathan: I still must admit, I love your custom tiles. Also, you are the only one without an animated screen (which I hate), so that gives you bonus points. However, I don't like the colors for some reason. The map, and subscreen doesn't look good either. It was a very close decision between you and Radien.

Phosphorescent: Pretty good, however, the screen doesn't stand out. The design looks a little awkward, but than again I need to see the other screens. Another thing, I took off a point for the Animated shot. I don't see anything in the screen that caused you to make the screen animated. Anyways, it was good, however, I know you have a better picture in there that will blow us away.

Radien: I thought about this for a long time and I voted for Radien. I didn't want to vote because I know if it wasn't for the animation, the votes may have looked a little different. However, I looked beyond the animation and I loved the screen. That lava is some of the greatest lava tiles I have ever seen. The boss looks good and I know that the fight will be intense. The thing that won me over is that the colors in the screen is great. If it wasn't for that I would have voted for Jonathan. Great job and Wow.

Anyways, I will be entering next week. This time it won't be from "The Hero of Dreams" like all of my other 20 pictures were from. So we'll see how the cookie crumbles. icon_razz.gif

#18 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for all the positive comments thus far. icon_smile.gif Despite there being only three submissions, the other two are very cool shots, so I was not disappointed. icon_thumbsup.gif

Quick answers to questions/comments: first, Serenia is animated because the rest of the screen is, and I didn't want to show her just standing there (which is something you won't be doing during this boss). I cut out the subscreen because it made it easier to make the GIF animation, and besides, it wouldn't have had anything of mine you haven't already seen before. icon_razz.gif

Dragonboy/Jonathan:

Um, no offense guys, but aren't you two being rather picky about custom tiles? SOTW is about the whole screen; not just ripping and editing the most new tiles. I've occasionally spent days preparing a set of custom tiles, only to lose SOTW because my actual screen was thrown-together. And other entries have won with great layout alone.

That's not to say Jonathan's shot doesn't have good layout... I think it looks great, personally. icon_smile.gif

Besides, no one's shot is using straight Pure this time around. Phos has tiles from Minish Cap, Descendant, and DoR, as well as Pure custom edits. In my shot, the floors are the only thing that came from Pure. Even Jonathan has stuff from Minish Cap and SD3. Hey, it's okay to use stuff from existing tilesets. icon_razz.gif

Shoelace:

Yeah, I know what you mean about animation. I used to think lowly of it, myself, just because I felt most people used as a gimmick. But so many people submit them these days, that I just said "ah, screw it." icon_razz.gif I love animation, and I spend so much time on animated tiles that I might as well show them... Otherwise you'd only be seeing about 1/3rd of the work. icon_smile.gif

Besides, I only use animation when it is needed to see important stuff in the shot. My next shot I'm entering in SOTW doesn't need it, so it'll be just a stillframe.

Phosphorescence:

By the way, are you using ChaoticGood's unreleased tileset? He just showed me those house tiles recently, I think. I always lose track...

#19 Rakki

Rakki

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:33 AM

Well, I had to go with Radien, cause I'm just loving how the lava and the boss there look. I do like the unique look of your quest's graphics as well though Jonathan, and even though it's not much, Phosphorescent, I'm a little interested to explore around those wrecked houses. I've gotta say, these SotW's are getting better every week. icon_biggrin.gif

#20 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:55 PM

Well, here I go.

Jonathan: I love the layout and everything. It feel fresh and new. Though now that I look at it, there are no shadows at the tree bases. And that catus is a little funky (but if you keep a cactus warm, it can actually survive in tundra)

Phosphorescent: It's an okay shot. However, the more I look at the screen, the more the animation annoys me. It's just okay.

Radien: Great boss and all. However, I can't put my fingert on it, but it felt very unoriginal. I can't say I was in the mood for unorginality. So, you lost mty vote here. But, that boss does look like an interesting fight, nonetheless.

Edit: Whoops! Forgot to say who I voted for. It's Jonathan's. icon_heh.gif

Edited by SwordOfSeals, 23 May 2005 - 12:55 PM.

#21 Highsight

Highsight

Jake Wins

• Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:51 PM

Really REALLY tough choice this week. I am going to go with Raidens cause it just looks awsome. (Also good comment. icon_lol.gif)

#22 KDillon

KDillon

Senior

• Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:58 PM

i like radiens dragon thing its so cool but johns is cool to i like all the snow and the cactus out of nowhere icon_lol.gif thats so funny i like Phosphorescents to its really cool tiles

but i voted 4 radiens its so cool icon_slycool.gif

#23 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:56 PM

SoS:

Well, it's based on Volvagia from OoT, if that was what you were thinking about. My goal was to intentionally imitate that boss battle. There'll still be major differences. In the end, though, about half of my quest's custom bosses will be from previous Zelda games while half of them will be new/original. In many ways, that's how Nintendo does it, actually.

#24 Jonathan

Jonathan

Wizard

• Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:14 PM

Even Jonathan has stuff from Minish Cap and SD3. Hey, it's okay to use stuff from existing tilesets.

Minish Cap - Bushes - Replaced but i use some edited tall grass
SD3 - Snow Path - Good eye spotting this one,i think it was sand

but if you keep a cactus warm, it can actually survive in tundra)
Il add a solar powerd heat lamp to keep it worm icon_lol.gif

Great boss and all. However, I can't put my fingert on it, but it felt very unoriginal
it reminds me of the first boss in illusions of gaia,kinda nostalgiac cause i played the game alot when i was younger

The map, and subscreen doesn't look good either

The Subscreen background looks like that cause its on a level color and it changes with each new palette and im to lazy to change it icon_lol.gif

#25 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:36 PM

Jonathan, love the snow, but the cliff tiles look a little odd.

Phosphorecent, The scene is good, very good, but a litte plain.

Radien, Love the lava, and the custom boss (I think...). This got my vote, but perhaps you could add little fire plumes to the lava?

#26 lord_jamitossi

lord_jamitossi

Wizard

• Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:37 PM

I voted Jonathan. I like the snowy-ness, and it's the only shot that isn't animated. For the record, I hit the STOP button on my browser before judging the shots, I find the moving-ness annyoing.

#27 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:09 AM

Jonathan, your shot seems the most appealing, somthing is wrong with my video settings and the images are really dark so all I see in Radiens shot is a beam of red light todards the bottom and dark red all over the place.
Phosphorescent, really nice houses! O_O but to me I feel you lack a closed space, its to open.

#28 Mowzr

Mowzr

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE(DragonBoy @ May 22 2005, 07:45 PM)
Jon and Radien is the best.

Jon has more custom tiles though... I'm not sure who to vote icon_razz.gif .
Phos shot is the same PURE graphics that I am so sick off. :/

... Radien's screenshot is rather reminescent of the Pure tiles... Other tiles just dont seem to work that well in a Zelda environment, and engine, all the time, and rarely they do work if they do work at all. :/.

#29 Phosphorescent Image

Phosphorescent Image

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:25 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ May 23 2005, 06:01 AM)

Phosphorescence:

By the way, are you using ChaoticGood's unreleased tileset? He just showed me those house tiles recently, I think. I always lose track...

Aye it is, but so am I. =p Testing the waters with some of my newer edits.

Jonathan - I like the colors and the snow, but the trees and cliffs dont have alot of depth to them. Also whats that in the top right corner?

Radien - Its time like these when I get discouraged from making tiles... when I see you do that I ask myself, "Whats the point of me even trying? Ill never compare to that" =p Awsome job!

Edited by Phosphorescent_Image, 24 May 2005 - 04:26 AM.

#30 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:31 AM

Since Jonathan got an extra H in his name so many times, it's only fair that I misspell the other contestants' names.

Jonathan: With the look of the trees and all the details on the ground, it looked like you were going for a realistic screen. But then with that cliff, it looks cartoony. Either way, I don't like the symmetry of this screen much. Great job on the graphics, except for maybe the cliff.

Incandescent: Decent shot with some ML tiles, though I've never been much of a fan of "open" screens. Also, I've never understood animated trees and grass; it doesn't look natural at all. Don't take my opinion as the only one though.

Raddy-Dude: The one excuse for a critique I have is that the boss and lava are much more realistic than the rest of the screen, which is a bit of a contrast. Wow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users