Photo

Screenshot of the Week 374

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 374 (43 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:28 AM

-DuCkTApE-
IPB Image
Looks like you need a key link...

Nolornbon
IPB Image
Link ponders the age of the old canal as he prepares to enter the old tunnels beneath it and the surrounding area. He also wonders about a certain treasure chest nearby...

Sepulcher
IPB Image
The peaceful town of Marcadia. (^__^) (Subscreen is still a work in progress and is nearing completion)

Evan20000
IPB Image
Made this for my quest and thought it looked neat enough to be in SotW.

Lightwulf
IPB Image
In the Underworld, Link is exploring the spooky White Woods when he stumbles upon an old graveyard.

Jared
IPB Image
Welcome to Moon Mountain Pass...

Shane
IPB Image
Another sunny day at Seafoam Village...

Ventus
IPB Image
Trying BS for the first time?

#2 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:54 AM

close call for me between the canal and Marcadia (those are both near Selhera village, right?). I voted for Nolornbon's screenshot. I still believe screenshots should be doubled in size, but, really, whay pettle.

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:46 AM

I voted for Lightwulf. I think it could be a lot better and I'm not exactly fond on the black outlines for the classic tiles but this screen has an atmosphere unlike any screen I've seen lately. Job well done!

#4 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

I voted for Evan because his picture was bigger than the others. It's an unusual tactic, but it payed off!

#5 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

icon_smile.gif

Hm i like them all so i cant vote nulled icon_smile.gif

#6 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Jul 23 2012, 01:47 AM) View Post

I voted for Evan because his picture was bigger than the others. It's an unusual tactic, but it payed off!

I'm sure there's a 'size matters' joke to be made here! icon_razz.gif

I nulled because I'm in the competition, but I'd probably vote for Shane or Sepulcher if I were voting.

#7 -DuCkTApE-

-DuCkTApE-

The "Mask" will take over...

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

whats the tileset Sepulcher and Shane are using? I voted for lightwulf because I like the simple tiles. Easy, and quick to make good screens!

#8 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

I'm using a modified DoR. Shane is using Pure Remembrance.

#9 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:58 AM

DuckTape:
Very nice use of standard GBC Zelda graphics. Keep it up. icon_smile.gif Those birds look odd "hovering" there like that, but I understand it's probably just an oddity about the GBC tileset's default enemies.

Nolornborn:
This screen feels a little... I dunno... cramped. So many divisions, so little walkable space. I certainly hope you don't add any enemies aside from that one accessible Armos.

Putting those BS waterfalls next to each other results in an awward appearance. If you are comfortable with tile edits, you might want to try combining them.

Sepulcher:
Basic village shot, but quite nice. icon_smile.gif All these village shots seem to only have one house per screen, though (not just you; most SotW village entries). I figure to make it feel more like a village, occasionally it'd be good to have two houses on a screen.

I think you may have overused those corner designs in the subscreen. Perhaps use them for the frame, OR the minimap, but not both?...

Evan2000:
Ooh, dookie trees!! icon_blah.gif Where'd those come from...? It's like each of the trees was pooped on by a mighty giant.
The screen design is passable, though cramped. Not much room for anything to happen besides fight that one Armos. (This story seems a familiar...)

I like your subscreen. icon_smile.gif The layout is still default, but the colors and graphics feel right. Not too crazy about this screen's palette, though. It doesn't help alleviate my mental image of "dookie trees"...

Lightwulf:
Ooh. This is VERY good use of Classic graphics. I especially like your trees. I've never liked the "enlarged" version of Classic shrub-trees that most people use, and yours even look better than the enlarged shrub-trees in the BS tileset. The enlarged grave is still rather dull, though.

Everything about this is nicely made; the only drawback is that it's just a bunch of scattered shrubs and graves. There's less chance to show off design skills.

Jared:
A nice, basic, but empty-ish Pure/DoR screen. It looks good, but it feels like just landscape. There are a few enemies, but it needs a little more. Maybe even a small puzzle?

Shane:
Nice! icon_smile.gif Everything looks in order. Since this is a town shot, walk flags are less of a worry. Good job. (No subscreen or Link, though?)

Ventus:
Personally, I think those dead trees, torches, and mountains all look better in brown. You'll need either layering or 8-bit tiles to accomplish that, depending on whether you're using 1.92 or 2.5. Aside from that, it looks like a nice practice screen, but nothing to write home about yet. Keep at it!

I decided to vote for Lightwulf because, though it didn't attempt anything quite as impressive, I can't find a single thing wrong with the design.

#10 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

I voted Nolornbon because his screenshot presented an atmosphere and scene which is more unique to me than I normally see.

#11 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 24 2012, 02:58 AM) View Post

Evan2000:
Ooh, dookie trees!! icon_blah.gif Where'd those come from...? It's like each of the trees was pooped on by a mighty giant.
The screen design is passable, though cramped. Not much room for anything to happen besides fight that one Armos. (This story seems a familiar...)

I agree, it is a bit cramped. I'm honestly not sure where those trees were used in the GBC games either, but I always saw them looking like seashells. Now I can't unsee it! icon_razz.gif

Thanks for the feedback; it's really appreciated. ^^

#12 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 24 2012, 03:58 AM) View Post

Sepulcher:
Basic village shot, but quite nice. icon_smile.gif All these village shots seem to only have one house per screen, though (not just you; most SotW village entries). I figure to make it feel more like a village, occasionally it'd be good to have two houses on a screen.

I think you may have overused those corner designs in the subscreen. Perhaps use them for the frame, OR the minimap, but not both?...

Thank you for the criticism Radien! icon_smile.gif I really like getting feedback on how my screens look. It helps me to improve my screen design. icon_biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Evan20000 @ Jul 24 2012, 01:24 PM) View Post

I agree, it is a bit cramped. I'm honestly not sure where those trees were used in the GBC games either, but I always saw them looking like seashells. Now I can't unsee it! icon_razz.gif

Thanks for the feedback; it's really appreciated. ^^

Those trees are from the zora's village in oracle of ages. icon_wink.gif

#13 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

-DuCkTApE-: This is a nice GBC shot and, in my opinion, it looks pretty natural. The forest tiles don't transition well into the grass or dirt tiles because the corners are a different color, and I think it's very noticeable in this shot because everything else is so easy on the eyes.

Nolornbon: The palette in this shot works very well and I think the idea you have for the screen is very good. However, for some reason, the waterfall image doesn't look right to me. I know it's a waterfall and I know there are elevation changes, but something about it makes it look like it's remaining on one plane. It might be the lack of detail in the water tiles. I think the tombstone also looks out of place because the edge of a cliff seems like a very strange place to bury someone.

Sepulcher: Hey man, this is an excellent shot. It looks very appealing and I'm also really digging your subscreen. On the other hand, I know it's not entirely your fault, but I've really grown to hate those tall grass tiles; they look like they're at the wrong angle. Also (this is nitpicky), it might not hurt to lighten up the border around the leaves on top of the house; I think it will make them appear to be sitting on the rooftop instead of hovering over it.

Evan20k: This is a great use of the GBC tileset. I didn't recognize the trees at first, and while I didn't associate them with feces at first, I can see how one would draw that conclusion. It doesn't bother me personally, because for some reason my mind sees the trees as natural-looking, but I can see how the trees along with such a palette could give such an image.

Lightwulf: Though the colors are a little boring, I understand that it's the setting you're trying to convey and I think it's working. I'm actually slightly intrigued by this shot because it looks some some sort of hybrid-classic shot where black borders exist around certain things. It looks nice, but I'd be curious to see how the Ghinis look without fog over them.

Jared: It always impressed me how well you use mountain tiles. While this is a nice forest shot, I would love to see some sort of activity or point of interest on which I can focus. I have to say though: I don't know whether or not you made the Link tile, but I'm digging it.

Shane: I really like this shot; I feel like this sort of picture could exist somewhere in the real world. The biggest peeve I have is that your stairs going from the upper level to the beach appears to be more of a bridge that stays at the same elevation and then magically drops off at a lower point.

Ventus: Personally, I've never tried to use BS much, so I can't say that I know much about it. However, I think you're doing a good job with it thus far. The real problem with this shot, in my opinion, is that there appears to be too much open space at the bottom of the screen. It also seems a little strange to me that so much grass would be directly adjacent to sand, but I also know it's not impossible.

It was a very tough choice for me this week between Evan20k and Sepulcher, but ultimately I had to give it to Sepulcher. If I could, I'd vote for both of you (or all of you, for that matter!).

#14 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

-DuCkTApE- - 2 votes = 5.71%
Nolornbon - 3 votes = 8.57%
Sepulcher - 5 votes = 14.29%
Evan20000 - 10 votes = 28.57%
Lightwulf - 5 votes = 14.29%
Jared - 3 votes = 8.57%
Shane - 6 votes = 17.14%
Ventus - 1 vote = 2.86%

Total Votes: 35

Evan20000
IPB Image
Made this for my quest and thought it looked neat enough to be in SotW.

Congrats Evan! icon_biggrin.gif Wonderful job this week!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users