Photo

A Lost Tale of Adventures

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Rating (22 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate this?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neptune

Neptune

Grand Overlord Empress

• Forum Moderators

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

A Lost Tale of Adventure

Ahh, the Spring Expo! And, the first one that I am participating in. Awesome. So, the first part of this is stuff that you’ve seen already, with minor revisions. However, I tacked on the Level 1 update along with four new screens to the end. I won’t post it in the thread for a few weeks, so read it here!

Story: This is the interesting part. There is none. No story whatsoever, unless you still consider "find the 8 Triforce pieces and slay Ganon" a story. I think most quests/questmakers nowadays are too pressed to come up with an epic story filled with twists, dark plot lines, multiple side stories, etc, etc. to keep the players attention. But I don't want to spend time on that. I just want to make a fun quest to play through.

Info: Meh, I don't wanna say too much yet, so just this...
• ZC Version 2.5, for obvious reasons.
• Classic tileset, nothing fancy to have to battle with.
• 10 dungeons, 1 more than a standard quest!
• More than one overworld, not sure how many yet.

Screens! Finally, the important part:
IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image

These are all from the first area of the game, they are:
Top-Left: Riverbank, first screen of the game.
Top-Right: Island on the middle of the river.
Center: Entrance to Level 1, on the same island.
Bottom-Left: Part of a river cave system, used to get onto said island before you have the flippers.
Bottom-Right: Second room of Level 1, can't get past without the boomerang.

IPB Image

The Map:
1) A generic forest area. The "biggest cave" (actually a temple/palace/castle etc., I just didn't want to use any more colors) is one of the eight first levels. The green obviously represents trees, but that doesn't mean solid, un-walkable forests. The large chunk in the center is actually located on a different map, and will probably take up much more space than the 10 or so screens that the patch takes up. And yes, those circles of trees are important (or at least two of them.)
2) Remir river, and the first area of the game. Level 1 is on that island in the middle. Oh, and despite what it seems like, there is a waterfall to the north of the river, so you can't swim to the northern lands this way. Yea, not much else to say about it...
3) Fields. The large green dot will most likely be a mini-dungeon (inside a tree or something.) The rocky area to the east is kind of like hills. With a cave system. Maybe I'll put Gorons there.
4) Maris Ocean. Nothing of real interest here. Really just a buffer zone between the mainland and...
5) Tristis Reef. Has a level and stuff. Smallest overworld area in the game. Might put some stuff underwater.
6) Lost hills type area. Leads to one of the levels in the later half of the game. Extends into the northern overworld (in fact, I think there's more there than here.) I think I know how I'll make this area. And yes, it will be extra evil.
7) Mountain. The path will not be as straightforward as I drew. Hmm, maybe the Gorons will go here... Despite what the staircase implies, the area doesn't extend north, just offscreen. (Or does it? Mwahaha.)
Eight) And finally, the desert. No, it's not just two screens. It's actually the eastern overworld (the entirety of it, 20 screens or so.) Yea, more on it later.

Level 1: Remir Sluice

Sitting in the middle of the Remir river lies the Remir Sluice, the first of the 10 main dungeons that Link will explore on his quest for the Triforce. It has a dome-like shape, with the upper floor suspended over a circular river that flows throughout the lower floor. The upper floor is kind of shaped like a gear, with eight “arms” that branch outside of the main dome. Overall, a short, simple, first dungeon.

Specs
Theme: Water
Number of Rooms: 31
Floors: 2
Items: Boomerang, Bomb Bag
Number of Sub-bosses: 3
Number of Main Bosses: 1

Screens:
IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image

Demo Status: Once Level 1 and some more of the over world is done, I’ll release a demo. Tentative date: Early June

Well, thats all. Good night.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:25 PM

I love classic quest, and you use the tileset amazingly. 10/10, no question.

#3 Naldrag

Naldrag

Weeb Trash

• Members

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:30 PM

I really like how it's looking, and personally I wouldn't mind beta testing it (if that position is open or anything). This quest definitely has some promise, for now I'm giving it an 8/10.

#4 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:54 PM

The awesome screen design alone gives it an easy 10.

#5 skateboarder11

skateboarder11

Adept

• Members

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

Freeform dungeon layouts in Classic are delicious. Good to finally see people doing them. Interesting to actually see someone using (at least, what looks like) my animated Classic water, too!

I have to insist, though, don't be afraid to tweak palettes if they look off! The water in the cave looks a bit strange as it is now - orange/purple doesn't quite work (you could try a brown, or darker blue, perhaps) in the cave. The OW water is using the wrong CSet, as well - I believe it's supposed to use CSet 4 on the OW palette. (I'm not 100% sure, I haven't used a 2.5 build in ages.)

However, other than a few minor nitpicks, I really like the potential this quest looks to have. I'm going to tack a 9 onto this. Looking forward to a demo.

#6 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

Wow, amazed at all the positive feedback. icon_eek.gif So yeah, I campaigned for the Expo to happen, and then promptly left the site for a while. Sorry about that. Here it goes:

I love classic quest, and you use the tileset amazingly. 10/10, no question.

Thank you.

I really like how it's looking, and personally I wouldn't mind beta testing it (if that position is open or anything). This quest definitely has some promise, for now I'm giving it an 8/10.

Sure, yeah, you can beta test. Remind me in like a year or so when it is anywhere near ready for testing. icon_razz.gif

The awesome screen design alone gives it an easy 10.

Look two comments north.

Freeform dungeon layouts in Classic are delicious. Good to finally see people doing them. Interesting to actually see someone using (at least, what looks like) my animated Classic water, too!

It was the default water in the 2.5 classic tileset, so if that's the stuff that you made, then yea, I'm using it. If not, then I'll check the other water out.

I have to insist, though, don't be afraid to tweak palettes if they look off! The water in the cave looks a bit strange as it is now - orange/purple doesn't quite work (you could try a brown, or darker blue, perhaps) in the cave. The OW water is using the wrong CSet, as well - I believe it's supposed to use CSet 4 on the OW palette. (I'm not 100% sure, I haven't used a 2.5 build in ages.)

I'll probably get around to it eventually.

However, other than a few minor nitpicks, I really like the potential this quest looks to have. I'm going to tack a 9 onto this. Looking forward to a demo.

5 comments north, 2 east.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users