Mt. St. Helens

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 CrystalBlade

CrystalBlade

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:40 AM

Mt. St. Helens, a volcano in Southern Washington, is spewing smoke and steam! icon_eek.gif You can even see magma in the crater! Scientists say that if it erupts (which shouldn't be major), the ash cloud will travel right through Portland! (where I live)

Just wanted to tell you. Hopefully, I won't be at school if it erupts.

#2 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:51 AM

O_O Oh crap... hope you'll be all right, CB. I live in CA, couple states below, so I'm being paranoid about this. That'd suck to lose your home to a whole bunch of lava... ack. The destruction, the deaths, NOT GOOD. If it erupts, people might die... and hopefully you aren't one of them!

Much, MUCH, luck CB!

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:21 AM

Man. I'm really worried about you guys over there near Portland. (Lots of friends nearby, .. but obviously isn't not only about who we DO know...)

Thankfully though, I have heard some things about how it's not going to be that damaging to areas near it. (Obviously not directly CLOSE to it though. icon_sweat.gif ) A large cloud of ash and smoke won't be that bad. icon_shrug.gif Then again, New Yorkers are probably all busy with their own <censored> lives to care about what happens in the opposite corner of the country. ...

#4 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:03 PM

Actually, the magma and lava shouldn't get very far, as St. Helen didn't even damage 1% of the state last time it erupted. However, the ash cloud would be an issue, as that will mess the weather up pretty bad there. I hope you'll be okay.

#5 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:05 PM

wow, through Portland? who knows, maybe down here, we'll getsome too (I'm about an hour's drive away from Portland, assuming you're in Oregon)

#6 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:21 PM

I live in Lane County, which is two hours south of Portland. Mt. St. Helens erupted once before, but it was mostly ash, so all it did was create a bit of a mess for us. In my area we even got a thin film of ash, though! icon_eek.gif However, this was all before my time.

During the first eruption, the only people to get killed were the tourists who went to see it "up close." icon_razz.gif They thought they were far enough away... well, they weren't. And because of their mistake, this time people know better. I doubt we'll have any deaths this time around.

#7 Zelda_Glory

Zelda_Glory

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:52 PM

What you are seeing is the beginnings of the "pyroclastic cloud". A pyroclastic cloud is basically a super-hot cloud of ash that can literally burn or blow over anything near the volcano. It's this cloud that actually does a lot of damage up close, especially when the cap blows.

It's hard to predict when it will actually spike and blow its top. Only the geologists can tell, and it might be quiet seismicwise for a bit, then start to really shake up.

Just remember, if you hear anything that says "evacuate", don't hesitate (and if you live near the volcano ... why are you reading this? You should be many miles away from the volcano by now).

#8 linkdude81

linkdude81

Junior

• Members

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:22 PM

The ash has been spewing for a couple of weeks, and tremors for even longer, so who knows when (and if) it will erupt. And the winds have been switching between going north and south constantly, so it might come my way instead (I live in Kirkland).

Just remember one thing, scientists are saying everything from that it won't erupt to that an erruption comparable to the first will occur, so no one really knows.

#9 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:25 PM

Yeah, it sounds like this could be pretty bad. But, atleast it's not going to be as bad as the previous eruption. The dust will be a problem, as usually, if the clouds are bad enough, it can kill wild life and vegetation. But, I'm sure it won't be that bad. icon_wink.gif

#10 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:32 PM

That sucks. Hopeful everything is will be okay, and hope that the ash isn't that bad because that would really suck. icon_confused.gif

#11 DarkZero

DarkZero

Junior

• Members

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:17 PM

I hope nothing bad happens I haven't heard a thing about Mt. St. Helens erupting again. Don't feel bad, while watching the discovery channel a while back I found out the MOST of Yellow Stone Park is actually a super volcano and if that were to decide to erupt it'd do a whole helluva lot more than Mt. St. Helens EVER could. A super volcano can effect global climate, if it erupts. Scientist believe only one or two have erupted during the time humans have been on the planet. Don't be afraid though, they say it shouldn't erupt till we're long dead icon_razz.gif

#12 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:31 PM

Well CB, I hope that nothing happens, but it may happen at some point. I hope for the best, and wish you much luck over there.

#13 lord_jamitossi

lord_jamitossi

Wizard

• Members

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:30 PM

They say that the danger's pretty much over now, I think. If not, good luck if she does erupt. I'm up in Canada so I've got a good distance, but if there is an eruption we'll all look if you're still posting...

Kinda like rexla. I wonder where that guy is now.

#14 CrystalBlade

CrystalBlade

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:54 PM

I'm still here, guys. Not to worry. Poly, I don't think that it would be so major that the lava would get down this far. I could get a mudslide... though I doubt it. Everybody else, thanks for wishing me luck. There IS a chance it won't erupt, but that's about... 25%. icon_sweat.gif

Hey, if it does erupt, I will probably have a l33t video. icon_wink.gif If we get our digital camera back, I MIGHT be able to post it. So that's a plus.

I'll keep you posted.

#15 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:06 PM

Ah, I see... Well, still. I hope it doesn't erupt, we don't need more people and animals to die. icon_frown.gif Then... I also shouldn't worry because I live in Palmdale, southern CA. I just hope it all goes well, and if you could tape the volcano erupting, that'd be awesome. icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users