Photo

Secret Skies

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Secret Skies (18 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate this submission?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 RedTribeLink

RedTribeLink

Junior

• Members

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

SECRET SKIES

zelda049.png

I introduce to you my official side project, Secret Skies!  This started as a small quest that I wanted to make in order to use new ideas I was having but couldn't put in Lost Identity DX.  This game will use:
- Non-typical gameplay
- Unique puzzles not seen in most games
- a new tunic shop that will allow you to choose the color tunic you wear for stylistic purposes only.

Here are some screenshots:

Selection of the first cutscene:                 Part of the main village:
zelda050.pngzelda052.png

The tunic shop:                                          The Tribal Sanctum (Level 1):
zelda053.pngzelda055.png

No preview video yet, but here is a short demo.  It only contains the intro area.  Afterwards, you can explore the village.
http://expo.purezc.n...s Expo Demo.qst

Any suggestions are welcome!  I hope you enjoy this and look forward to the final release!

• Jared likes this

#2 Demonlink

Demonlink

Experienced Quest Developer

• Members

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

Well, I like how you've handled the intro, and I'm curious about these Stone Tablets, like, are these objects that unlock items or features when collected? So far, you got me interested, but I need to know more about the game, which is why I rated it a 4. Still, impressive job! :)

#3 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:21 AM

Really beautifully made. Just like Lost Identity DX, there isn't anything bad I can say about this, it all just flowed so well. I'm really interested in this project :P

I'm giving this a 4 however, since there isn't too much to be seen and there isn't a lot of content, but there are some pretty interesting things in here. Great job!

Edited by EddyTheOliveira, 27 October 2014 - 06:23 AM.

#4 RedTribeLink

RedTribeLink

Junior

• Members

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for the kind words, guys!  I'm glad you are enjoying what I have so far!  I will probably reveal more about this in the upcoming weeks when there's just a bit more content to be shown, but for now I just wanted to get the word out and show what I had for it so far.

• Eddy likes this

#5 Moosh

Moosh

fug :DD

• Members

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

I really loved the demo, as short as it was. It looks like you've really improved as a questmaker since Lost Identity.

Any reason the lamp functions as a sword, though? Wouldn't it make more sense to sprite it as a burning sword?

#6 RedTribeLink

RedTribeLink

Junior

• Members

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:39 PM

For the lamp, I wanted something different to act as your "sword" to make it more unique, I guess. I'm still working on the slashing sprites for it though. What I have now is kind of a placeholder (I hope that makes sense). Anyways, I'm glad you enjoyed this!
  • Moosh likes this

#7 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:49 PM

Love the atmosphere you've got going on here. Only problem I had is that the candle behaves like a sword. o_O

Those armos enemies are a pain in the rear end. That gibdo should be replaced with something less powerful or it's damage reduced. And the Lantern not use a lightsaber graphic.

4/5.

#8 RedmageAdam

RedmageAdam

The Protector of Emotions

• Members

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:59 PM

What I liked:

-The anti-frustration feature of getting health refilled between rooms at the very start and not dying at the game's very start

-Cosmetic tunics that don't affect defense; the blue one is my favorite

-Really nicely designed HUD and game in general

-From what little you presented, I'm really liking the story (coming from someone that ordinarily doesn't care for story at all)

What I think could have been done better:

-The Armos statue room is a pain, even just having the room reset instead of getting a game over

-A bit too short IMO, but I can let that slide

Overall, this demo gets 4 Feathered Hats out of 5 from me. The demo is highly recommended.

#9 RedTribeLink

RedTribeLink

Junior

• Members

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:04 PM

@Freya: The candle and it's slashing sprite is still a WIP.  I tried my hardest to give enough room for the player to navigate past the armos, but I think i'll look into it a bit more.  Same will go for the Gibdo Boss Room.

@RedMageAdam: I like your pros and cons list.  Like I said before, I will look into the armos room and make it a bit better.  Thanks for recommending it.

#10 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:46 PM

Every demo, I made a video of me playing it. Check it out: https://www.youtube....umMkry-&index=8

There is some nice stuff in play here, RTL. I am digging the concepts, but there is not much here for me to judge, A good effort, though I liked LIDX more, it gets a nice 3!

#11 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

I'm going to start streaming this quest in Zelda Classic 2.50.1 final, hoping that this quest is playable in that version.

I'll begin streaming in 10 minutes, this should give people enough time to show up.

http://www.twitch.tv/newjourneysfire

Just finished, unfortunately nobody showed up, but that's fine, I'll be uploading this to youtube very soon and I'll share my experience here.

Realy great job, I must say, I rated this a 4. 

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 04 November 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#12 Shane

Shane

Average Quest Maker

• Members

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:09 PM

A few bugs, not sure if someone else found them or not
Amazing demo! Very unique gameplay and mysterious atmosphere! I'm not overly fond of the screen design choices (preferences mainly, no biggie!) but I can live with that. 4/5, for being short, but a very unique and enjoyable experience! The tunics are a nice addition too!

#13 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:56 PM

Here is the LP I did of this demo:

NJF Plays Secret Skies [Fall 2014 Expo Demo]

#14 Avataro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:06 PM

This quest is very promising looking. The demo is rather short, but it actually shows a lot. I liked most of what I have seen :)

The story seems mysterious and dark, and it makes you wonder what is going on. I really would like to know more about it! You also have a very interesting gameplay there. It's different from other quests and I like that. The intro section is fair, and the town is fun to explore. Letting the player choose the tunic color is a nice touch, but it would be cool if you had even more different outfits. The way it is, it is fine though. I can see myself playing as blue Link throughout the game.

Here's some things I would recommend you to improve:

- The music choice is mostly very good, but some of them are overused.

- In the very first screen you can trigger the message without triggering the secret (see GenGaming's playthrough video).

- The NPC script is rather weird and has flaws, so I recommend getting a different one.

- Like Shane said, the background of the passive subscreen is not solid black.

All in all, I got to say this is very interesting looking. Good luck on this project!! :D

#15 RedTribeLink

RedTribeLink

Junior

• Members

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

@GenGaming and NewJourneysFire: Good playthroughs of the demo.  I enjoyed watching and am glad both of you enjoyed it.

@Shane: The glowing message block is a result of the NPC script that i'm using going between layers 1-3 (So that Link can appear behind it or in front of it).  The subscreen issue is being worked out as we speak.  Thank you for pointing these things out!

@Avataro: I'm most likely going to change at least the town and house music and find midis that are more unique.  I'm also looking for a script to do this trick a little bit better (Right now I have an invisible item over the button with a Message script).  Thank you for the suggestions!

As I have said before, thanks to everyone for playing so far!  :)

• Shane and Avataro like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users