Photo

HAHA! Oh Sweet Jesus, Texas, what are you DOING!?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

Texas Republican Party Seeks Ban on Critical Thinking, Other Stuff
the Republican Party of Texas recently published its party platform, a report that - among other things - calls for a ban on teaching critical thinking skills in Texas schools because of its "focus on behavior modification" that has "the purpose of challenging the student's fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority."
The platform's also full of the expected sexism/racism as well, but this just takes the cake. Now let's all point and laugh... because if we didn't laugh, we'd have to cry.

Take it away, Cenk!

#2 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

I see your point thar, well taken.

This

#3 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Please tell me this bulls***. I...I can't believe Texas...

This is just f***ing stupid...

#4 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

LF>A way to move out of this state. Perry is a joke.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

... Okay, I'm gonna have to do some research here. I refuse to believe that anybody would ban critical thinking in schools unless there was a real, solid reason. I've got a bad feeling I'm wrong... but please, I hope there's more to the story then what's here at face value. If there's not... What the hell?

Edit: Okay, only just started reading the article, but it's so biased it ain't even funny, so this definitely calls for a bit of outside verification.

#6 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jun 28 2012, 10:39 PM) View Post

... Okay, I'm gonna have to do some research here. I refuse to believe that anybody would ban critical thinking in schools unless there was a real, solid reason. I've got a bad feeling I'm wrong... but please, I hope there's more to the story then what's here at face value. If there's not... What the hell?

Edit: Okay, only just started reading the article, but it's so biased it ain't even funny, so this definitely calls for a bit of outside verification.

Read their agenda: http://s3.amazonaws....tform-Final.pdf

#7 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jun 28 2012, 09:39 PM) View Post

From the document linked to by the article, and by the GOP's website:
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values
clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based
Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging
the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Edited by NoeL, 28 June 2012 - 10:50 PM.

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

Okay... that's pretty damning. There's part of my brain that's still holding out and saying there's gotta be some reason behind this that they aren't mentioning... although granted, that doesn't seem very likely right now. So consider me tentatively saying "What the Hell Texas?", but holding out until I hear somebody explaining exactly why they're against it until I pass final judgement. Oh please Texas, please tell me there's some reason you're withholding from us. I really don't want to think people are that stupid.

#9 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jun 28 2012, 10:50 PM) View Post

There's part of my brain that's still holding out and saying there's gotta be some reason behind this that they aren't mentioning...

Well of course there's a reason! They're just THAT stupid!

#10 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

Well they kind of state why they're against it - they feel that teaching kids how to think for themselves "challeng[es] the student’s fixed beliefs and undermin[es] parental authority". They know that once people start actually thinking there's no chance they're going to arrive at the insane positions the GOP wants them to hold.

#11 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

I bet these are the same people who are outraged at Oreo supporting gay rights...The stupidity is pretty consistent.

Edit: Made a campaign poster for them:
IPB Image

Edited by Moosh, 28 June 2012 - 11:22 PM.

#12 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

I agree with Russ here. Why would you even try something like that? If you can't prevent us from saying what we want, then why would you try and prevent us from thinking what we want?

It's just like the whole gay marrige debate. It isn't any of your business, we're allowed to do as we please. So where is your argument coming from?

#13 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE(Octorockoncrack @ Jun 28 2012, 11:30 PM) View Post

I agree with Russ here. Why would you even try something like that?

So they can brainwash you and you continue to vote for these people!

#14 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

Wikipedia Page On Critical Thinking
Texas is where Bungie and Retro Studios are located, if that makes you more interested in the state and what it's doing.

#15 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE(Nolornbon @ Jun 28 2012, 11:13 PM) View Post

Wikipedia Page On Critical Thinking
Texas is where Bungie and Retro Studios are located, if that makes you more interested in the state and what it's doing.

I fail to see your thought process. Are Bungie and Retro secretly in league with the government to create chemtrails and brainwash our youth to usher in the apocalypse? Is Newt Gingrich the first horseman? Is Mitt Romney the antichrist? Has the government secretly been housing grays in Texas in a secret facility to create an extraterrestrial army to take over Jupiter? Basically what I'm asking is how does this all connect?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users