On getting pieces of triforce ...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:15 PM

Okay so at the start of my quest, I've got two giant islands that are connected by a big bridge. This overworld contains 3 dungeons... And each dungeon is holding hostage a specific piece of your ship that you need before you can take off on your ship and find the 4 Shrine Keys to open a Shrine at the end of the game. (I don't want to give away too much before I release the quest).

Okay so that's the jist of it, I hope you kinda understand what I'm going for here. The first three dungeons will have an anchor, a captain's wheel, and a sail that you need to get in order to move on. Much like in LttP where you need the three pendants or whatever to move on. But how can I do this in ZQuest WITHOUT using scripts. Scripts are the devil. No just joking, I just don't understand them... plus I want the quest to be a very simple quest. So from here, you would take your ship off to other islands and be able to retrieve 4 Shrine keys. So in all, you would need 7 pieces to get to the end of the game... does that make sense? Okay so how can I do this? I've seen other people's screens where it looks like they do similar things but I'd like to know how that works, as far as setting up specific "triforce" pieces, or what?? And if I can get this to work, how could I get Link to get on his ship and set sail after he retreives the FIRST 3 pieces? I hope you understand what I'm going for ... so I hope it's not too hard to do. I'm very serious about this quest, I've already got a huge overworld built, and 3 dungeons, a story, and lots of stuff planned for it.

Please help!! icon_wacky.gif

#2 ChunkeM0nkey

ChunkeM0nkey

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

I don't understand all of it but it sounds like it could be done with 1 timed events.

#3 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

Assuming you're using 2.5, to do it without scripts, you need to make three seperate triforce items. You need to know a little about the subscreen editor, too. Just have the three seperate items in the three seperate places, and make sure the subscreen shows those graphics.

#4 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:47 PM

I'm using one of the betas because I have a Mac, it's one of the only ones that work on my Mac. BUT I can save my quest in a 2.10 format ... so I'm kinda confused on what I can and can't do. If I can edit them in a subscreen editor, that would be awesome! I wanted to edit my subscreen to look neat anyways. So hmm I may play around with the subscreen editor and see what I can do.

But will it save into a 2.10 file if I make it in a different version with newer features? I'm kinda confused on that part..... I just hope that when I make this quest, it's playable to people afterwards and not just myself cause that would suck. icon_mad.gif

#5 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:54 PM

if you're gonna go 2.10, you're out of luck, unfortunately. The only option that you can do is the one time events like M0nkey said.

Edited by Alestance, 20 March 2009 - 08:55 PM.

#6 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:20 AM

Soooo I can't change certain pieces of the Triforce to look like something else?? But I *CAN* make it so Link has the three pieces and gets on the boat and that event works that way .. hmmm okay so what other options are there?? I guess I could go back to the original idea of just having 4 Shrine keys (triforce pieces) ... and then dungeons that have no triforce? So it would be every other dungeon was a special shrine dungeon where you got a shrine key (triforce piece) Can you actually beat a level without having to get a triforce piece afterwards?? I mean a simple warp out would be the idea right? And then the rule of "must defeat all dungeon bosses" or whatever to make sure the person is actually killing the bosses.

Man this stinks ... I was hoping this three pieces to a ship idea would work. Are you sure there aren't any really creative ideas I could do?

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:20 AM

That was the creative idea. There's really no reason why you shouldn't use that idea. It's definitely possible; I just tested it in one of the latest ZC Builds from Shardstorm. (Go look for Build 921, the macosx-Tiger-and-Leopard version.

Like he said, just make a new Subscreen element "Triforce Piece" for each Triforce item you want, and slap 'em down onto your subscreen in the appropriate place. It's really not a big problem at all.

#8 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:08 AM

That was one of my ideas for an incarnation of Zelda Arcade. Each "stage" would have two equipment items and 3 triforce type things to find. Two in dungeons, and one hidden on the overworld.

#9 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:31 AM

But the feature "Save quest as 2.10" will that mess up my quest when I try to save it as a 2.10 quest? Cause I want everybody to be able to play this without having to use a beta version of the game.

#10 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

yea. 2.10 doesn't support the item editor and subscreen editor.

#11 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

So I should make everything as simple as possible ... so that it converts properly to a 2.10 quest? So that way everybody can play the quest.

#12 Hoten

Hoten

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:07 PM

If you want your quest to be playable in 2.10, make it in 2.10. You can't take little features from 2.5 betas and use them in your 2.10 intended quest.

#13 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:07 AM

the problem is he's a mac user. No 2.10 for mac. icon_heh.gif

#14 Questwizard

Questwizard

The Moldorm Guy

• Members

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:38 AM

The save as 2.10 feature is also horribly broken anyway. It can't even convert example-1st saved in a beta to 2.10 without messing the whole thing up. This is what it looks like when opened back up in 2.5 (which shouldn't have a problem opening it, considering it'll open a straight 2.10 quest without a problem): http://www.questwiza...ap/zelda040.png. It also gets a "bad token" error when opened in 2.10, and the whole map gets messed up.

#15 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

In any case, the current builds have been far stabler to me than 2.10's incarnations ever were.
Also, I agree with seeing that convert to 2.10 is rather useless. I tried it in a far older beta and, while not being as violently messed up as the example above, it changed around all the enemies in the areas I had made before using the conversion feature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users