Photo

I just know Guhoo is called by Vaati in the English‐speaking world.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Vanice in DFS' heart

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:24 PM

I just know Guhoo is called by Vaati in the English speaking world.
Does name Guhoo have any problem?

Edited by Nameless, 02 April 2008 - 09:04 PM.

#2 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

In an attempt to clarify, I believe you're asking why Vaati is known as Vaati and not Guhoo?

Color me surprised. I didn't know he was known by any other name. I think we can chalk this one up to "Vaati" sounding better. It sounds, in my mind, more like an ancient deity, and deities, as you probably know, are associated with power. Therefore, it lends Vaati more menace.

#3 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:36 PM

Vaati is the only name I've ever heard him be called by. I think that Guhoo just sounds slightly goofy and funny, and nobody wants to be battling the world's greatest comedian instead of a sorcerer.

#4 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

Guhoo just sounds a little weird, plus it has a "G" at the beginning of the name just like "Ganon", which would probably make some think they have something in relation besides both being powerful entity's.
Besides, the name Vaati just seems more easier to familiarize yourself with the villain.

#5 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

I would probably pronounce Guhoo wrong if he was called that.

plus guhoo reminds me of hoohoo beans from M&L-SS

#6 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Vanice in DFS' heart

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

In Japan,Vaati is called by グフー(Guhoo).

Edited by Nameless, 02 April 2008 - 09:06 PM.

#7 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:09 PM

I'll have to remember those characters.

is that in kanji or katakana?

#8 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Vanice in DFS' heart

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE(Powerbracelet @ Apr 3 2008, 11:09 AM)  
is that in kanji or katakana?
That is in katakana.

#9 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:23 PM

ok cool.

I need to look up the kanji then.

#10 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

We actually tend to think of フ as fu, so it's usually written Gufuu.
Obviously, the name doesn't have the same meaning in English. They apparently chose Vaati instead because it was the name of something called the "Wind Dukes of Aaqa" in Dungeons & Dragons.

QUOTE(Powerbracelet)
I need to look up the kanji then.

颶風
It means "tornado" or "hurricane." I don't think the character's name is ever written that way.
It's possibly also a reference to 封 (fuu), meaning "seal," as Vaati is normally sealed away.

Edited by Saffith, 02 April 2008 - 09:55 PM.

#11 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:06 AM

For whatever reason, character names are different in many countries, but they all seem to have a similar meaning behind them. Vaati and Guhoo relate to wind. He's technically a wind god. Guess it doesn't matter, then.

I'm just surprised that each and every Pokemon have a different name in English. Of course, the majority of them are combinations of two ordinary words to create one. Char(fire)mander(salamander), Charmeleon(chameleon), Charizard(lizard), etc.

#12 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE(Nameless @ Apr 3 2008, 03:24 AM)  

I just know Guhoo is called by Vaati in the English speaking world.
Does name Guhoo have any problem?

The problem with Guhoo that it's definitely east-Asian, without Vaati showing any east-Asian signs. In the western world, people expect it that if somebody has Japanese name, then he/she looks/acts Japanese. Since Vaati doesn't have any traditional Japanese traits, a new name was needed. Plus, Guhoo (or Gufuu, whatever...) doesn't sound like a main villain, rather like a stupid demon who is an optional hidden boss. At least to me, a Hungarian, it sounds like that.

Look for example FFVII. There is a town with the name "Wutai" and the leader has also a Japanese name. But it's OK, since the whole town is Japan-ish. Otherwise, Japan names that refer to non-Japanish persons/areas get changed. However, funnily, sometimes the chaned name is almost as Japanish as the original.

Pokémon was the same. The Pokémon names were made from Japanese words. So, when they are translated to English, they need names made from English words. With some exceptions. For example, Pikachu wasn't translated to Electric Mouse, neither to Eleouse.

Also, Saffith and others... from where you downloaded those Japanese fonts? They appear at me as thick vertical lines, not like Japanese signs...

#13 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Vanice in DFS' heart

• Members

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Apr 3 2008, 07:22 PM)  
Guhoo (or Gufuu, whatever...) doesn't sound like a main villain, rather like a stupid demon who is an optional hidden boss. At least to me, a Hungarian, it sounds like that.
Japanese can easily imagine name Guhoo(Gufuu?) as a villain or a demon.These are thought cultural wall. icon_frown.gif

Well..,Electric Mouse!? It sounds bad. icon_sweat.gif

Edited by Nameless, 04 April 2008 - 04:02 AM.

#14 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:38 AM

electric mouse to someone who only speaks japanese seems to them as pikachu seems to us in terms of the quality of the name.

#15 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos)
Also, Saffith and others... from where you downloaded those Japanese fonts? They appear at me as thick vertical lines, not like Japanese signs...

Assuming you're using Windows, this should be what you need: http://www.japanforu...rs-your-pc.html
That's for the English version, but I expect it's similar for all of them.

QUOTE(Nameless)
Well..,Electric Mouse!? It sounds bad. icon_sweat.gif

Sparklesqueak!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users