Photo

If you could travel at the speed of light.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

Ok, easy question, what would you do if you could travel at the speed of light with a spaceship, and where would you want to travel (Doesn't have to be a real planet/moon)?

Me, I would want to obtain new rocks and/or minerals, try to search for a new power source, and try to find new life on other planets, and other things icon_rolleyes.gif

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:07 PM

Speed of light? I would just want to go exploring around the galaxy.

#3 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:25 PM

First of all, I'd search for a planet that is very similar to Earth and I could live on it to have it as my new home (Provided it has beings no eviler than earthling humans.). My best wish would be to find humans on other planets. Then I would explore the world universe searching for beautiful planets and extremities. Then I'd start to search for traces of the old universe. This would be a search for beings that died on their planet long ago, and for powerful fallen creatures... Might be one of them was the rulers of the universe, but now there are just a heap of burnt planets or asteroids hint for them...

Long story short:
1. Finding new home (preferably with an extraterrestrial girlfriend)
2. Searching for special places
3. Finding clues of universe history

EDIT: However, you know... lightspeed isn't that fast in the whole universe. It would be enough only in travelling in this solar system, the Milky Way.

#4 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:48 PM

I probably would explore the solar system. At the speed of light I would not be able to go much farther practically. I would note that in cosmic terms, light is rather slow. It takes over four years for light to reach the Sun from our solar system's nearest neighbor, Proxima Centauri. The galaxy is tens of thousands of light years across, and contains billions of stars. Even though due to general relativity you would experience much less time, people would wait years for you to come back to Earth.

I would note that, if you can actually reach luminal velocity, then there is nothing preventing you from going superluminal.

If I was limited to the speed of light, I would probably explore Titan, Mars, Enceladeus (sp?), and various other planets/moons. In the end I would probably just set out in search of a new world, likely to never return.

#5 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:51 PM

Going at the speed of light doesn't do any good; you'd be very old, perhaps even dead of old age by the time you arrive at anywhere significant. Going forty to fifty times faster than the speed of light, however, you might be able to reach another solar system within a few years; it's especially significant if there is a planet that can support life, but we may become subject to the other life forms there...

Earth is our only home; we would most likely succumb to the environments of other extraterrestrial planets, either from disease or as some creature's dinner.

#6 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:58 PM

Oh, well sorry for saying light speed when I specificly meant that you could travel almost at instant speed, my bad icon_doh.gif

Edited by HeavyTitanium, 25 January 2008 - 03:59 PM.

#7 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:02 PM

Well, that's easy. Sell the spaceship. That should cover me for life.

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE(HeavyTitanium @ Jan 25 2008, 12:58 PM) View Post

Oh, well sorry for saying light speed when I specificly meant that you could travel almost at instant speed, my bad icon_doh.gif

Any speed? That means that, theoriatically, if you go faster than the speed of light, time travel is possible, along with a lot of other things. I could go back in time. I could go into a black hole and back out again. Thye possibilities are endless.

#9 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

I would probably grab a camera and explore for a while. And if I ran into hostiles?

I'd kick ass and chew bubblegum.

#10 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

If I could go anywhere at any speed, I would explore for a long time. I would find a world that is similar to Earth and uninhabited by intellegent lifeforms and colonize it. I would like one orbiting a ringed gas giant around a yellow dwarf, like our Sun. I would search until I found the ideal world. If I made contact with advanced civilization, then maybe I could get a better ship.

It would be best if there were a large society of intellegent beings much more advanced than we are now, then people from earth could quickly catch up with galactic times and we could all have spaceships and stuff, and we could just blend in with the crowd.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE(Siguy @ Jan 25 2008, 01:48 PM) View Post

It would be best if there were a large society of intellegent beings much more advanced than we are now, then people from earth could quickly catch up with galactic times and we could all have spaceships and stuff, and we could just blend in with the crowd.

Sounds like somebody's been watching too much sci-fi movies. Althouth that would be nice.

#12 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(Siguy @ Jan 25 2008, 04:48 PM) View Post

If I could go anywhere at any speed, I would explore for a long time. I would find a world that is similar to Earth and uninhabited by intellegent lifeforms and colonize it. I would like one orbiting a ringed gas giant around a yellow dwarf, like our Sun. I would search until I found the ideal world. If I made contact with advanced civilization, then maybe I could get a better ship.

Ahh, but it would be very hard to acquire such a ship... That is, if they have something similar to Star Trek's Prime Directive, and given that they are advanced, they probably do. icon_heh.gif

Anyways, it'd be best to head for a known faraway destination other than to aimlessly fly around in space. Getting lost in space would be a pain when you need to return to Earth...

EDIT: Oh, and IaN, you ran out of gum.

Edited by Linkus, 25 January 2008 - 05:14 PM.

#13 Echo Blade

Echo Blade

Junior

• Members

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:38 PM

Interesting question. I would try to search for other life in a diplomatic sort of way.

#14 Lune

Lune

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:29 PM

I would just fly around for the fun of it. icon_biggrin.gif

#15 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(IaN @ Jan 25 2008, 03:20 PM) View Post

I would probably grab a camera and explore for a while. And if I ran into hostiles?
I'd kick ass and chew bubblegum.
And I'm all out of bubblegum. icon_glare.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users