• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 04:35 PM

Personally I think the best plan of action would just be like,

• Find a few trusted volunteers to run the new ZC.com (a few just to mitigate problems with inactivity and having more people available is always good).
  • Remake the site (old one was a nightmare to navigate/read), have links to PureZC the Dev Discord (which can be the new "official" server")
  • Make sure the devs have access so they can post new builds and whatever

and fwiw I also think Twilight Knight would be a good choice for the team. Nothing against WL but he doesn't seem to be very active in the community or have a very particular interest in this? But if I'm wrong I'm sure his help would be appreciated as well

edit: also might want to think about rebranding it since "zeldaclassic.com" doesn't really fly with the whole "no zelda anymore" thing lol

Edited by Aslion, 21 August 2021 - 04:47 PM.

• Rambly, Twilight Knight, Mitchfork and 3 others like this

#17 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 04:40 PM

So wait, is AGN planning on going offline? And possibly ZC.com along with it? I noticed the recent site outage but this is kinda coming out of left field to me. That site was a huge part of ZC's history. Much as I may not have always gotten along with its userbase, I'll miss it.

In general I'm in agreement with what everyone else is saying, if there does end up being a new hub site it doesn't need a new hub forum. Best case scenario for me is of course ZC.com staying online. Grug no like change. Grug hit change with bonk stick.

ZC.com not so sure. AGN is making a slow conversion to Discord over the years completely.

-James
  • Bagu likes this

#18 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 05:02 PM

Speaking to War Lord about some topics in the upcoming days as he contacted us, including AGN legacy, modernization, and some other things. Going to hold off on new webmaster at the moment, but solvibg our issues is still wide open.

This includes:
1. Database resolution
2. File hosting
3. What we want to do with ZC.com

-James

If I broke the rules this one time, sorry. I'll eat the WP for it, lol
  • Bagu likes this

#19 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 August 2021 - 05:05 PM

We really just need a new website, built to host downloads in a sane format that is easy to navigate, as opposed to the hell that is zc.com

#20 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 05:15 PM

zc.com and the available file formats don't feel like a "hell" to me, but yes...
...there's a list of things that could be better.

So, one thing I still want to say is...
Twilight Knight is my favourite candidate, for the new webmaster.
...not only, because his experiance and his skills.

One IMPORTANT reason, why I think, he'd do a good job, is that he really WANTS THE JOB!!!

I don't know him, personally
...But I always knew him as a very professional member.

Edited by Bagu, 21 August 2021 - 05:22 PM.

• Twilight Knight and coolgamer012345 like this

#21 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 05:29 PM

Don't put the cart before the horse.  :)

I'm not certain of the meaning of that proverb :heh:
Merely trying to offer my help and ideas, I do not intend to rush or force anything if that is the suggestion
As for being the webmaster, I don't think it's a good idea to have only 1 person working on the site. Of course it could work, but what if the site is down and I'm unavailable?
Also working on a project together can be much more interesting :-)

Either way, know that I'm willing to put in the work to create a nice and user friendly site with all of you is what I'm trying to say

As for the topics you mentioned
1. Database resolution
You mean migrating the old data to a new database? Like old quests and all? Shouldn't be too difficult depending on the DB zc.com currently is using, but I'm assume MySQL which should be fine
2. File hosting
I'm interested in what hosting options zc.com has now (bandwidth and storage mostly) and what it actually needs. It's probably most convenient in this case to use the server for the site as file storage. Shouldn't be too expensive either like I mentioned before. As for expenses, we'll figure it out surely
I'd say a redesign, naturally to get rid of the Zelda related branding, but also to make it more modern and user friendly. I don't know about the current codebase, but simply remaking from scratch, as I'm betting it's pretty outdated, would be most efficient. Modern techniques that are commonly used are best advised, as it makes it easier for another developer to take over and maintain/work on the site. Things such as Vue.JS, Laravel and a CMS such as Drupal or maybe (rather not) Wordpress. It is a lot of work surely (I'm estimating maybe 100-150 hours or so?), but as I said I'm willing to help and if we can get more volunteers for developing/designing/testing it will be a piece of cake!

I'm not sure if that is putting the cart before the horse, but heh

...But I always knew him as a very professional member.

Well... times have changed haha. I'm glad you aren't around that long yet  :shy: 

But thank you for the kind words mister Bagu!

Edited by Twilight Knight, 21 August 2021 - 05:32 PM.

• DarkFlameSheep, Emily and Bagu like this

#22 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 August 2021 - 05:33 PM

^ My vote goes for Twilight Knight

• Twilight Knight and Bagu like this

#23 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 05:44 PM

Well... times have changed haha. I'm glad you aren't around that long yet  :shy: 

...can't stop laughing, Bro ;)
...you're nice!

• Twilight Knight likes this

#24 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 06:05 PM

Another thing I'd like to add to topics of discussion: I really was a fan of the ZC wiki and would be sad to see it go. Perhaps it could be reintroduced in another form (spamming on it by bots was pretty bad f.e.). I'm mostly wondering what other people think about the wiki and whether I'm the only one that regularly used it

...can't stop laughing, Bro ;)
...you're nice!

Who thought Germans and Dutch could get along  :lol:

• Aslion and Bagu like this

#25 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:21 AM

If the concept of the site is gonna' be revamped, I would really love to see a Music Contest(Midi/Tracker) 
...just like the Screenshot and Map contests.

And a database category to provide custom  sfx (wav ) files.

...the PureZC Databank is great an really extensive.
In includes almost everything you might need, to workout unique quests.
scripts, tiles, music and much more

ALMOST everything... ...but I always found it a bit annoying, to open extra tabs
and scroll through diverse sound libraries, to find some sfx waves.

A SFX Databank would be great (if it's possible)

Edited by Bagu, 22 August 2021 - 09:29 AM.

#26 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:35 AM

If the concept of the site is gonna' be revamped, I would really love to see a Music Contest(Midi/Tracker) 
...just like the Screenshot and Map contests.

And a database category to provide custom  sfx (wav ) files.

...the PureZC Databank is great an really extensive.
In includes almost everything you might need, to workout unique quests.
scripts, tiles, music and much more

ALMOST everything... ...but I always found it a bit annoying, to open extra tabs
and scroll through diverse sound libraries, to find some sfx waves.

A SFX Databank would be great (if it's possible)

Not the website we are talking about, ZC dev and PZC are entirely unrelated. The current discussion about websites (for the 15th time!) has NOTHING TO DO WITH PZC, this is about "zeldaclassic.com".

• Nightmare, Twilight Knight and Bagu like this

#27 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:37 AM

Okay, seems I got something wrong.
...sorry.

BUT I STILL WANT A SFX DATABAAAANK  :blah:  :goof:

#28 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 27 August 2021 - 03:19 PM

Speaking to War Lord about some topics in the upcoming days as he contacted us, including AGN legacy, modernization, and some other things. Going to hold off on new webmaster at the moment, but solvibg our issues is still wide open.

This includes:
1. Database resolution
2. File hosting

-James

I would consider it important to maintain the database, whatever else may happen, especially because there are a number of quests on zc.com not present in the Pure database. It would be convenient if we could amalgamate the two databases, but there may be ethical concerns given that many of the authors may be out of contact or even dead.

As far as I can recall, zc.com used to be fine to navigate (a decade ago), but the current design looks and feels like someone decided to make it modern but forgot to make it usable. I would agree with TK in proposing that it be restarted from scratch.

I can't offer any help directly, but I hope that things turn out well there.

• Twilight Knight likes this

#29 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 02 October 2021 - 04:10 AM

I am withdrawing my proposal to help out with the website, I'm no longer interested in doing such a project. I understand it's taking a while to make a decision and that is not the problem. The real concern to me is the reaction I got to my offer to help, it wasn't particularly welcoming and friendly, and I don't feel like my ideas are being taken seriously.

-Sven

• Bagu likes this

#30 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 02 October 2021 - 05:31 AM

I am withdrawing my proposal to help out with the website, I'm no longer interested in doing such a project. I understand it's taking a while to make a decision and that is not the problem. The real concern to me is the reaction I got to my offer to help, it wasn't particularly welcoming and friendly, and I don't feel like my ideas are being taken seriously.

-Sven

That's understandeable.
I think you'd have been the right man for that task.

Edited by Bagu, 02 October 2021 - 05:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users