Photo

Screenshot: Challenge Accepted #93

Joelmacool

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should win? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote your favorite

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Shane

Shane

Average Quest Maker

• Members

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:58 PM

Requirements:
  • Screen Type: Dungeon
  • On-Screen Criteria:
    • Must include two stairs leading up and down.
    • Must include an item on screen.

Entries:

Joelmacool

OT2VumR.png

Yes, those are Iron Boots. No, they do not work. :P

Maikeru D. Shinigami

moSydvi.png

Light Arrows! But how can Link reach them?

Jared
Dm4zIrO.png
Gotta burn down the vines!

Current Challenge:

• On no! It's April Fools, my base screen turned into a joke shot.
  • Remake this into a serious screen using any tileset!

9gDaFHl.png

Our current place in the rotation is in red!

• Joelmacool likes this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:06 PM

Joelmacool - Nice shot. Fits the requirements very well and I really like the detail throughout the whole shot.

Maikeru D. Shinigami - Definitely getting better, but there are still quite a lot of odd things here. The Triforce pattern made by the grass looks really odd compared to the rest of the grass. The torches on the walls don't look correct at all and the pit just below the 4 arrow blocks looks off, as if these blocks are floating above it.

Jared - Nice job with this one. I can see the 8-way bow is definitely getting some interesting uses here, which is great. Something I noticed is that it doesn't look a lot like an elevation change now that I look at it more. If the stairs weren't there, I would just think the whole screen is mostly level with a bit of sand just rising up a little here and there. Maybe just me, but the screen looks great nonetheless.

I voted for Joel this week.

• Cukeman and Joelmacool like this

#3 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:19 PM

Im so torn on this one

Im voting based on tileset this time because every one of these 3 is so good. I go with Maikeru. The colors, the screen itself is so cool. It would take me so many years to do this screen proud. I say job well done. I want to play this quest this screen is on so badly.

Maikeru gets 38% of my vote, which is good enough for my pick. It's too close to call, but the cool tileset is what narrowly did it for me.

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:27 PM

Visually, this was an even tie between Joel and Jared for me, but I was slightly more curious to explore the rest of Joel's dungeon, so that's why he got my vote.

Joel

Well done. I like the whole "figure out how to approach this from another angle" vibe and the scenery.

Maikeru

Really appealing scene, tiles and colors. The floor torches look stange on the wall, and the ladder doesn't look like it leads anywhere (stairs might be better). As mentioned, a hint of ground leading into the pit under the central platform (which you have on the northern-most edge of the hole) seems to be missing.

Jared

Digging the Arbiter's Grounds vibe! I think the elevation actually is working with two small exceptions.

1) I want Link and the skulls to be resting on floor tiles, so that all the ground at that height looks like floor, and all the ground at the low sand level looks like sand.

2) The lighting logic on those stair tiles is really bad (guess what I'm studying in art school :P ). To begin with, the black outline really stands out as a flat visual shape, reducing the illusion of depth because there aren't a lot of black lines in the image (there are some on the walls, but hardly any on the floor). Second, the highlight along the left vertical edge of the tiles doesn't belong and is another thing which visually flattens the image. Finally, the shading on the stairs themselves is telling us that we are seeing more on the rising vertical surface than the horizontal surface we step on- which doesn't make sense because these are top-down graphics. I went in and edited the stair tiles because those mistakes were starting to bother me visually:

http://oi66.tinypic.com/16kussx.jpg

EDIT: It still feels like there should be a transition telling us where the top of the stairs end and the next surface begins, but I'm not gonna worry about that right now.

EDIT 2: Oh, I see something else: the bottom of the walls meets the floor tiles, so wherever the low sand meets the wall we need to see a downward slope, otherwise it breaks the perpective (it reads like where the low sand meets the bottom of the wall is just as high as the floor level which you need stairs to reach). Unless you're going for an M.C. Escher thing, you'll probably want to fix that.

EDIT 3: Same thing with the columns, they're all the same height, but the base of some reach the low sand, while the base of others stop at the floor level.

EDIT 4: Hmm, if I'm gonna be this technical then I should edit my customized stair combo in the lower right because it has one more stair than the others. I wouldn't change the size of any of the stairs, I'd just delete the lowest (northern-most) stair:

http://oi68.tinypic.com/qn7i9k.jpg

EDIT 5: Not a suggestion for your quest, but your image gave me an idea- it could be really cool if using arrows to pin Fire Keese to the wall was how you burned certain obstacles (like vines).

Edited by Cukeman, 02 April 2016 - 12:20 AM.

• Jared and Naru like this

#5 Shane

Shane

Average Quest Maker

• Members

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:17 PM

Joelmacool wins with 44.44% of the vote. Congratulations!

OT2VumR.png

Final Results:

• Joelmacool (12 votes [44.44%])
  • Maikeru D. Shinigami (10 votes [37.04%])
  • Jared (5 votes [18.52%])

• Joelmacool likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joelmacool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users