• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 24 July 2022 - 08:11 PM

Hello my guys

Tomorrow I'll be travelling to Bahia for a few weeks, so I'd like to get this out before going: The demo is done and released!

Get the download here:
https://www.purezc.n...id=547&t=6#tabs

This is probably the only demo the quest will get, thanks Jason for the request and hope you and all enjoy.

If you have any feedback, feel free to contact me or post a thread! I don't mind critique, but rude messages will be rightfully ignored.

Good July-August my friends!

Edited by Ica, 24 July 2022 - 08:12 PM.

• Taco Chopper, Shane, Jenny and 1 other like this

#2 Zeldagamer2020

Zeldagamer2020

Zeldagamer

• Members

Posted 25 July 2022 - 09:48 AM

it say's invalid version could you re upload it on version 2.53 please

#3 slashi

slashi

Initiate

• Members

Posted 27 July 2022 - 03:12 AM

It appears to run on 2.55

#4 xenomicx

xenomicx

Zelda Arcade

• Members

Posted 05 August 2022 - 06:47 PM

Unfortunately that is most likely not possible. I began building a quest recently in 2.53, and then upgraded it to 2.55. Once I made the switch and the file was saved, I could no longer open it in 2.53 zquest or zplayer. I think once a quest goes 2.55, there is no going back.

Edited by xenomicx, 05 August 2022 - 06:47 PM.

#5 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:40 PM

Hey, I'm back from my trip

The quest has to be played in ZC ver. 2.55 alpha, it will not work in earlier versions. I'll update the demo description.

But that's no prob! If you're using another version, you can go over to www.zeldaclassic.com and download version 2.55, name it something like "Zelda Classic Alpha", and put my quest in that folder; Then you continue using earlier versions to build and play quests! There's no issue in having two different versions in your computer.

And if you've played the demo, feel free to comment on it, on what you liked or disliked, or even send me a private message. I'm all ears!  :nerd:

#6 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 August 2022 - 07:25 AM

here's my live feedback as i play the quest i hope u like it

(i realised after i started writing all this that you're not too big on scripting but i might leave the script-related feedback in here anyway in case you change your mind)

• maybe look to set up auto warping for the opening cutscenes so you don't need to press down every time you want to move forward? i set this up in three crests by using cycling combos - the first combo would have be a few frames long before the autowarp one kicks in. Also you can set up dmaps to disable items so players don't lay bombs by accident like I did LOL
  • Hearing that guy sfx is a bit annoying too initially
  • i really like the interior designs for the kokiri village. simple and pleasing to the eye
  • the trees and NPCs are popping up through the passive subscreen lol. not sure if this is a 2.55 glitch or what
  • have you thought about using tango for your NPC dialogue? it might look daunting because of scripting but it'll help make everything flow that much more better. especially cos you can set up flags to change what sort of dialogue gets said by an NPC repeatedly as well.
  • there's a boss noise in the village before the shop/graveyard?
  • i'm confused as to why you can walk into some of the water in kokiri village/the graveyard
  • oooooooh i really love the cave aesthetics with the torches
  • i'm not sure how, but i managed to get the boss key without being able to unlock that blue keyblock lol
  • the foliage in the forgotten temple is a nice touch but maybe a bit too much at times? it's hard to see where i'm going in places

all criticism aside, it's a solid demo. i got a bit lost at times, but overall i had fun.

lots of potential with this one.

#7 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 24 August 2022 - 01:17 AM

Hey, Taco Chopper, thanks for the feedback  :nerd:

Your criticism was very objective, I really appreciate that! 

So I'm answering each topic down here, in purple: 

here's my live feedback as i play the quest i hope u like it

(i realised after i started writing all this that you're not too big on scripting but i might leave the script-related feedback in here anyway in case you change your mind)

• maybe look to set up auto warping for the opening cutscenes so you don't need to press down every time you want to move forward? i set this up in three crests by using cycling combos - the first combo would have be a few frames long before the autowarp one kicks in. Also you can set up dmaps to disable items so players don't lay bombs by accident like I did LOL

I added timed warps in cutscenes so that the player will be warped after 2 minutes on the screen. Also disabled items such as bombs in cutscenes

• Hearing that guy sfx is a bit annoying too initially

I hear ya (hehe), but I'm not sure how to change that. Is it in "Options"?

• i really like the interior designs for the kokiri village. simple and pleasing to the eye

thanks :D  I realize the quest's got some funky aesthetics sometimes, but that's part of what I'm going for

• the trees and NPCs are popping up through the passive subscreen lol. not sure if this is a 2.55 glitch or what

I know exactly what is the cause of this. The subscreen backgrounds weren't set, now they're set to black

• have you thought about using tango for your NPC dialogue? it might look daunting because of scripting but it'll help make everything flow that much more better. especially cos you can set up flags to change what sort of dialogue gets said by an NPC repeatedly as well.

I'm not really sure what you mean here and I'll take any help I can with scripting! I plan on adding more dialogue scripts to the quest, but something goes wrong when I try to compile (maybe something related to std.zh ??) I'm trying to figure it out 

• there's a boss noise in the village before the shop/graveyard?

Yes hehehehe there's a reason for that, but I might change it. The ideal solution would be finding a sfx that has a roar and a long silence afterwards, so it would only play once in a while.

• i'm confused as to why you can walk into some of the water in kokiri village/the graveyard

Fixed!

• oooooooh i really love the cave aesthetics with the torches

I'm glad! I'll add it to more caves.

• i'm not sure how, but i managed to get the boss key without being able to unlock that blue keyblock lol

The doors weren't working right. Now I set the DMap to NES Dungeon. There are some freeform passageways, but I think it should be fine.

• the foliage in the forgotten temple is a nice touch but maybe a bit too much at times? it's hard to see where i'm going in places

That's the point! I wanted the leaves to cover parts of the screen and add some challenge, but do you think it's too much on some screens?

all criticism aside, it's a solid demo. i got a bit lost at times, but overall i had fun.

lots of potential with this one.

Again, thanks Taco! 

Edited by Ica, 24 August 2022 - 01:18 AM.

• Taco Chopper and Aquamentus (Facing Right) like this

#8 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 August 2022 - 09:59 AM

i'm glad you're appreciative of the feedback! 

• two minutes per screen seems way too long - is this with the "messages freeze all action" checked?
  • this is probably wrong, but the only way i could think of working around the guy poof sound would be to set SFX 25 to be a silent .wav file - you can generate one using audio editors like audacity, or just download one off the internet i guess. just means you've gotta change anything that uses SFX 25 to a different sound.
  • it might look a little overwhelming but check tango out on the database - it'll eliminate the need for Guys anywhere at all if you use it with Moosh's NPC script. you can do all sorts of wacky stuff with it - in fact, all of the NPC scripting in three crests uses it! happy to help you set up this one if you need :)
  • yeah i liked the idea of added difficulty with the leaves in the dungeon, but it was maybe a touch too much in parts. i felt like it clashed with the other greens in the dungeon too - again, subjective lol

i'm happy i was able to help fix up a few of the bugs too! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Crystal Heart, Demo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users