Photo

Screenshot of the Week 321

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (61 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:10 AM

Lynker:

Eh, I don't get the 321 joke, if it is a joke. The screen isn't too bad, as you've kept it pretty detailed without being overly busy, but there's not much of interest besides the lone rupee and Octorok.

I like the palette, and your choice of tiles is perfectly good. Thumbs up for including the subscreen, but there's not going on with it. Default frames, no items collected. Very obvious it's a test screen.

Moo2wo:

Ahh, nice composition here. You managed to have forest shadows without obscuring everything so badly that it hurts the shot. I feel like this is a screen of at least some interest. However, is this Pure Remembrance? I ask because I'm bothered by the unnecessary color loss in the wooden roof and (I believe) the Minish Cap pine tree. the DoR palette SHOULD have enough browns and greens to display those without losing color depth. Also, I find that two-color Pure grass to be rather dull amidst such a vibrant palette -- only slightly more interesting than plain green.

You've got a pretty nice subscreen going there, although I've seen all those tiles before, used by various people. No biggie. But where's the minimap? Are you only displaying it while the game is paused?... Hmmm, not sure what I think about that. If I were the player I'd rather see the minimap than ammunition and rupee/key count. Or you could compress it a little bit, and have room for everything, perhaps...

Furion:

Ahh, this looks like Final Fantasy V. A nice, simple cave screen, but well-done. True, the floor is particularly high-contrast, but that's common of RPG graphics which are not designed for action. It's okay so long as you don't have to fight on screens that use it.

No subscreen, but Moo2wo is the only person who did anything impressive with their subscreen, so it's not as big a detriment this week.

What's with the gibberish caption? Doesn't look like any language I've ever seen.

William:

Now you're using Classic graphics against a sky backdrop?... Oh my. You're certainly pushing their limits. The clouds look okay, but the mountain and sun are rather amateurish.

I've already said all I really should about how you're using your other Classic graphics. Your composition is all right, but with graphics as simple as Classic's, having a huge variety of tiles on one screen doesn't really make it look better. The graves and Armos statues are perhaps going a bit overboard, what with four other types of greenery AND tall grass on the same screen.

I voted for Furion this time. I know I frown on "no subscreen" shots, but in this case I think he did enough other work to make up for it. As he continues to work on this project, I hope he uses ripped graphics to create a matching subscreen.

Also, someone really needs to get into Pure and/or Pure Remembrance and fix all the ripped tiles that have unnecessary color loss, particularly the ones that come from LTTP... Continuing to use those color-reduced graphics is like driving a pickup and never carrying anything in the bed. icon_razz.gif

#17 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:29 AM

Lol all the Link's are facing right this week! I voted for Moo2wo it's really hard to pull off a forest with shadows that perfect.

#18 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ May 25 2011, 04:29 AM) View Post
Lol all the Link's are facing right this week!

!!!

It's a SIGN.

...No really. There's a sign in Moo2wo's screenshot. Told ya.

#19 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

My shot composes of Final Fantasy graphics, and yes it is very real and playable. Though, I prefer being original and unique, so there is no subscreen in this quest. The player is only allowed to use a spear and a ranged magic attack. Life regenrates slowly, but it isn't displayed, as like in many games, when the 'shields' drop, a warning sign appears that you are on low health. Oh, and the language is a fictional Germanic derivative of English and Dutch.

#20 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ May 25 2011, 06:29 AM) View Post

Yeah, I noticed that too. Also, all of the Zelda shots have Octoroks in them.

#21 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE(Furion @ May 25 2011, 01:17 PM) View Post
My shot composes of Final Fantasy graphics, and yes it is very real and playable. Though, I prefer being original and unique, so there is no subscreen in this quest. The player is only allowed to use a spear and a ranged magic attack. Life regenrates slowly, but it isn't displayed, as like in many games, when the 'shields' drop, a warning sign appears that you are on low health. Oh, and the language is a fictional Germanic derivative of English and Dutch.

Hunh. I'm not sure how you make a quest playable without any passive subscreen, let alone no active subscreen, but that's worth knowing. Well I guess there's nothing to apologize for since I actually voted for yours anyway, fancy that! icon_razz.gif

How are you handling this "warning sign" if there isn't even a passive subscreen?... My first thought was Link Tile Mod, but I can't imagine that being possible... unless you're using scripts (sigh)...

(I'm not sighing because I don't want you to use scripts; I'm sighing because I'm tired of tacking that disclaimer onto the end of everything)

I know a little German, but I wasn't able to recognize any similarity. Funny, I thought Dutch was more similar to German than that. But this isn't real Dutch, so all bets are off. Oh well.

#22 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE(Furion @ May 25 2011, 10:17 PM) View Post

English and Dutch.

Hm, only now I pay attention to the subtitle of the screenshot.

As I know both English and Dutch and a bit of German, I can tell it's nothing like the modern versions of the languages, looks more like an old Germanic language to me.

Nonetheless it's an interesting idea, certainly very original. Arty, should I say.

#23 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ May 25 2011, 05:29 AM) View Post
And the only enemies are octorocks!

#24 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ May 25 2011, 09:10 PM) View Post
Also, someone really needs to get into Pure and/or Pure Remembrance and fix all the ripped tiles that have unnecessary color loss, particularly the ones that come from LTTP... Continuing to use those color-reduced graphics is like driving a pickup and never carrying anything in the bed. icon_razz.gif

I have done this, although I didn't release it publicly as I thought it wasn't much of my work really. It could be handy as a Graphics Package though I guess.

#25 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE(Jimmyb @ May 26 2011, 02:28 AM) View Post
I have done this, although I didn't release it publicly as I thought it wasn't much of my work really. It could be handy as a Graphics Package though I guess.

Personally, I haven't seen your work, but it sounds fine to me. I believe it would be accepted into the database. I suppose you could ask for permission to post it, but whoever made Pure Remembrance didn't ask my permission, so I guess it doesn't matter. No, I don't require people to ask me permission, as my tilesets are open for all to use as long as credit is given somewhere...but if you're ever unsure about what's "okay," asking permission is a nice thing to do, and a good failsafe. In any case, the tileset creator/compiler might just want to incorporate your work into their own update, to make it official.

With Pure and DoR, though, there are a heck of a lot of contributors. Check DoR's credits section to get an idea. I try to make a point of having a particularly complete credits section that notes the actual original sources.

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ May 26 2011, 01:42 AM) View Post
Hm, only now I pay attention to the subtitle of the screenshot.

As I know both English and Dutch and a bit of German, I can tell it's nothing like the modern versions of the languages, looks more like an old Germanic language to me.

Nonetheless it's an interesting idea, certainly very original. Arty, should I say.

Ahh, so it isn't just me. icon_smile.gif It looks like it could be a language, but I can't find any meaning in it.

#26 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(Jimmyb @ May 26 2011, 05:28 AM) View Post

Please do. I could certainly use it. icon_smile.gif

Anyways, my opinions!

Lynker: It's kind of cluttered, but the core screen design is pretty good. I'd move the tree that covers up the bridge, as that is kind of the point of the entire screen. (Crossing the bridge, that is.) I'd give it a 6/10.

Furion: This would have gotten my vote if I weren't in the contest. It's excellent. Also, I'd try seeing what the screen looks like with a blue tint to everything. 9/10

William: The background kind of clashes with the other NES graphics, but I love everything else. 7/10

#27 TLocke

TLocke

• Members

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

I personally really like Moo2Wo screens, he makes good use of the Pure tileset (or whatever it is).

#28 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(Moo2wo @ May 26 2011, 01:11 PM) View Post

This would have gotten my vote if I weren't in the contest.

I'm not in anymore.

#29 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:20 PM

haha uh oh. Looks like Lynker and Moo2wo are tied as of now. I say we make them fight to the death! The one who succeeds shall be crowned victor. What do you think? I personally like the idea, it would be a good show! haha just kidding, but it would be funny though.

Edited by Sepulcher, 26 May 2011 - 07:21 PM.

#30 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

*Puts on OoT Mid Boss Music*

The battle is ON!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users