• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#16 Hoff123

Hoff123

The Hoff :)

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Mario Quest... icon_smile.gif.

Anyway, I think this sounds great. I'm looking forward too it(the new site) icon_smile.gif.

#17 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Mar 30 2013, 02:52 PM) View Post

I'm actually not a fan of this idea either. Like Moosh's suggestion, it sounds good. The problem is, there's a lot of tilesets on PZC, and I don't want to put them all in the list of tags. But if we limit it to just things like "Pure", "DoR", "EZGBZ", etc. then any of the other tilesets would get left out of that list and it would sort of seem like we're pushing people to use certain tileset. Plus, even in those categories, things aren't always consistent. Any tiles for the Pure tileset don't work on Pure Remembrance, and EZGBZ version 1 had a different palette structure than the following two. I think there's just a lot of room for confusion there.

Plus, with the "recolor" functionality working decently, it's not that hard to import tilesets from different tilesets anymore.

I really do appreciate the suggestions, though. icon_smile.gif

This makes sense. AGN's quest db has a tileset category I think, but it doesn't always give a good description due to limited tileset categories.

QUOTE(Moosh @ Mar 30 2013, 03:17 PM) View Post

I feel like if the kind of people you're worrying about aren't getting upset by the current rating system they wouldn't get upset about this. I also feel like I didn't describe what I was thinking in my first post well at all. Like for example I'd consider Mario Quest a classic even though it doesn't fit my original description. The classic tag wouldn't exactly indicate a good quest necessarily, only a significant one. So scratch the "notch above the rest" thing.

I've seen plenty of complaining, bickering, and negative responses to feedback on this site. Given this site's history, I think you're being to optimistic, although maybe I'm just too pessimistic about this sort of thing.

Will there be any way to look at a quest's download count? It would be interesting to see just how many people have played a given quest, especially something ultra popular like hero of dreams.

#18 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(Theryan @ Mar 30 2013, 03:19 PM) View Post
Will there be any way to look at a quest's download count? It would be interesting to see just how many people have played a given quest, especially something ultra popular like hero of dreams.
Download counters are being added, but unfortunately there's no way to know how many times quests were downloaded in the past. icon_unsettled.gif So they'll all start from 0, sadly.

#19 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Mar 30 2013, 02:52 PM) View Post

I'm actually not a fan of this idea either. Like Moosh's suggestion, it sounds good. The problem is, there's a lot of tilesets on PZC, and I don't want to put them all in the list of tags. But if we limit it to just things like "Pure", "DoR", "EZGBZ", etc. then any of the other tilesets would get left out of that list and it would sort of seem like we're pushing people to use certain tileset. Plus, even in those categories, things aren't always consistent. Any tiles for the Pure tileset don't work on Pure Remembrance, and EZGBZ version 1 had a different palette structure than the following two. I think there's just a lot of room for confusion there.

Plus, with the "recolor" functionality working decently, it's not that hard to import tilesets from different tilesets anymore.

i think most loose tiles submissions are created for one intended tileset. having a tag for that tileset would make it quick to find tiles that can be easily ripped in. some tiles might work with or be made for several tilesets, but since multiple tags can be given to each tile submission these can all be represented. each tileset in the database could have a tag in the loose tiles so it wouldn't be like you are pushing people towards a certain set at all, and this would also eliminate your other concern with Pure being different than PR since they'd have different tags.

Its also odd how you say in one sentence that it wouldn't work between Pure and PR tiles, but then in the next you say that the recolour function solves all the problems. since that is always an option, nobody ever NEEDS to filter by the tileset tags, and more advanced ZC users can go ahead and rip any tile into any set they like - but for beginners its easier to just match Pure with Pure. Its pretty daunting looking through the loose tiles as is and try to figure out if that tile will rip easily into the set you are working with.

#20 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(justin @ Mar 30 2013, 07:20 PM) View Post

i think most loose tiles submissions are created for one intended tileset. having a tag for that tileset would make it quick to find tiles that can be easily ripped in. some tiles might work with or be made for several tilesets, but since multiple tags can be given to each tile submission these can all be represented. each tileset in the database could have a tag in the loose tiles so it wouldn't be like you are pushing people towards a certain set at all, and this would also eliminate your other concern with Pure being different than PR since they'd have different tags.

Its also odd how you say in one sentence that it wouldn't work between Pure and PR tiles, but then in the next you say that the recolour function solves all the problems. since that is always an option, nobody ever NEEDS to filter by the tileset tags, and more advanced ZC users can go ahead and rip any tile into any set they like - but for beginners its easier to just match Pure with Pure. Its pretty daunting looking through the loose tiles as is and try to figure out if that tile will rip easily into the set you are working with.

The problem is we have 72 tilesets and counting. Making that many tags and assigning them to all the current tiles would be a nightmare, and it would be a pain to have to create a new tag every time a new tileset is released.

#21 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Here's a better suggestion: Typeable tags. Actually, I really want to know why tags are given from a dropdown list, and whose idea that was. Why can't it be done like Youtube, DeviantArt, FurAffinity, etc. when you submit something and type your own tags? This will allow submitters to be as thorough as possible with their submission. Like if I wanted to submit something for the tileset I'm working on, I'd use the tags:

"Super" "GB" "SuperGB" "Tileset" "Tile" "Set" "Link" "Sprites" "Tamer" "Koh" "TamerKoh" "Dlbrooks33" "Sheet" "Update" "New" "Edit" "Modify"

It can't be that hard to implement a type-in tag system can it? Separated by spaces or commas. Youtube does commas, but the art sites do spaces.

Edited by Koh, 30 March 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#22 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

Typable tags is something we've discussed before and decided against, because it breaks the whole idea of tags in the first place. What if I need forest tiles, so I search for the tag "Forest", but don't find the tiles I'm looking for, because somebody labeled them "Woods". Having a pre-existing list of tags works best so that people can search for them and find what they want.

#23 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Mar 30 2013, 07:51 PM) View Post

Typable tags is something we've discussed before and decided against, because it breaks the whole idea of tags in the first place. What if I need forest tiles, so I search for the tag "Forest", but don't find the tiles I'm looking for, because somebody labeled them "Woods". Having a pre-existing list of tags works best so that people can search for them and find what they want.

I...fail to follow. Synonyms are one thing, but if a submitter doesn't care enough to place a proper tag anyway, you end up with the same effect of not being able to find what you're looking for. It'd also be about the same as it is now. If the submitter cares, they'll definitely type in the synonyms in their tags. I mean you type "Trees", you'd probably also type "Forest" or "Woods" just to be sure people can find it. I think you guys are assuming the the negatives are overpowering the positives, but I don't see it at all. That'd be minimal at best.

#24 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Pretty much what Russ said. Being able to type out your own tags is wonderful on large sites. On YouTube for example, no matter how obscure the tags you search for are, there's bound to be some that match for what you're looking for. Oftentimes even if you make typos, people will have made the same typos as you, so you're still apt to find what you're looking for.

PureZC has a lot smaller user base than those places. So typos (by either the uploader or searcher) would mean people couldn't find the content they're looking for. What are tags meant to be used for other than finding content?

So we're sticking to the limited tagging system.

#25 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Mar 30 2013, 07:58 PM) View Post

PureZC has a lot smaller user base than those places. So typos (by either the uploader or searcher) would mean people couldn't find the content they're looking for. What are tags meant to be used for other than finding content?

Exactly. However, what if the tags themselves, whether by dropdown or typing, were neglected? Someone who's on a submission spree could easily just leave the dropdown menu where it is upon initially coming onto the submission page and fill out everything else and submit. As for typeable tags, anyone can just not type anything and let the title of the submission take care of itself. However, the difference here is that the dropdown is way more limited and un-thorough as a typeable tag system.

But if you guys still don't see the light...

Have both. The "tag" for the dropdown menu, have it work like Youtube's video Category dropdown list in the upload page. This will categorize the submissios by group (almost like they are now). Then for tags, the user could type any other terms that would help find their submission better. Think about what you guys are saying now. "Trees" in the dropdown list...you hit search...you get a ridiculous amount of results of trees and have to wade through all of that, instead of being able to type any relevant terms in the search to get to it, like "LTTP" "Trees" "Dark" "World."

Edited by Koh, 30 March 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#26 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

The idea is to have a limited tagging system that is also thorough. Too many types of tags is a mess to deal with, where it is easy to have two or more tags that overlap with each other more than 50% of the time, or worse, are exactly the same thing, but with different words. The idea is to have the right amount of tags that cover the vast majority of situations, so that when somebody actually performs a search using one or more tags, they will be able to find nearly everything available that falls under that particular tag, rather than a limited selection of what is there that fits your search. Limited tagging, when assigned well enough, will actually make the searching process for resources more thorough for the sake of search results, not less. When people are looking for what they think best fits the resources they are looking for, that is very helpful, as it reduces the chances of them missing something that they think is the best of what they are looking for. Youtube's open tagging is more useful for finding just something that you are looking for in general, rather than what is best among what is available for you.

#27 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Mar 30 2013, 08:14 PM) View Post

To mah boi, Nate.
IPB Image

So the idea behind it is to INDEED get a group of trees, so people can swim in them and pick the best? It sounds good in theory, but when the submissions start reaching higher numbers (like 100s per "tag" for example), it's not feasible, and people aren't going to be patient with that.

#28 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Mar 30 2013, 08:18 PM) View Post

So the idea behind it is to INDEED get a group of trees, so people can swim in them and pick the best? It sounds good in theory, but when the submissions start reaching higher numbers (like 100s per "tag" for example), it's not feasible, and people aren't going to be patient with that.

That's why multiple tags are allowed, so you could do "trees, swamp" or whatever and find the exact tree tiles you want. Also, if you need to be more specific than using the given tags while searching, it's not like you can't still type something into that "Search" bar, which will look through description, etc to find whatever keyword(tag) you searched for. If you really want typeable tags, just list a bunch of tags in your description and the search function will allow people to search based on the non-standard tags for a given submission.

#29 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(Theryan @ Mar 30 2013, 08:52 PM) View Post

That's why multiple tags are allowed, so you could do "trees, swamp" or whatever and find the exact tree tiles you want. Also, if you need to be more specific than using the given tags while searching, it's not like you can't still type something into that "Search" bar, which will look through description, etc to find whatever keyword(tag) you searched for. If you really want typeable tags, just list a bunch of tags in your description and the search function will allow people to search based on the non-standard tags for a given submission.

I thought the search function only searched through the titles. Because I can swear there have been a number of times I typed in terms on the search bar here, and what I was looking for didn't come up, but when I removed the tags and put one of the terms in the title, it came up.

#30 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

The current one only searches through titles, yes. That's why we're adding the new search system, to fix the problem the current one has. icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users