Photo

Screenshot of the Week 665

Matthew Moosh Shoshon the Elegant Jared Lüt

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 665 (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:42 PM

Moosh
Moosh.png
spicy isometric lies

Shoshon the Elegant
Shoshon%20the%20Elegant.png
Prometheus deals with a gator problem, in this 5-10 minute mini dungeon.

Matthew
Matthew.png
"Br."

Jared
Jared.png
Nollate Woods

Lüt
Lut.gif
From lava pit to snowy mountain in 3 combos (featuring the Tektite high-jump gym class in action).

• Anthus, Jared, coolgamer012345 and 1 other like this

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:14 AM

Moosh- Fake.

Shoshon- Nice theme! I get ninja turtle vibes from this sewer scene, and find myself imagining music from one of their NES games fitting quite nicely. Dunno if I'm sold on the color of the water, but you really got a great sense of height in this shot. The pipes along the ceiling really make me feel like the camera is high above the player character, which is a sensation I almost never get in other ZC screens. I do question the hookshot grabs being a single color with no detail.

Matthew- I really like the town structure feel of this shot with the building leading up to the castle. Maybe something in the scene could have a color besides gray or brown. I don't know if the downhill area on the left works or not, without seeing more of the map.

Lut- I like this quite a lot, especially the Mustafar lava flow beneath everything. I am buying most of the mountain overlaps, except for way the brown and gray mountains come together. It is a really dynamic diagonal screen, with lots of exciting uphill movement.

I'll vote for Lut or Shoshon... if I can decide.

Edited by Cukeman, 16 June 2018 - 07:28 AM.

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:46 AM

I voted Jared... his screen is just so gorgeous and full of atmosphere.

• Matthew likes this

#4 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:45 AM

Cukeman, the hookshot points are basically placeholders atm. I am planning on editing that tile all across the quest with my own custom grab point. To go alongside the custom spell graphic I am gonna make for the hookshot grabs.

Black just blended into the screen better than the other colors as a placeholder for me.

Edited by Shoshon the Elegant, 11 June 2018 - 04:01 AM.

• Cukeman likes this

#5 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:29 AM

Moosh: Looks really interesting - I do really want to play this. That said, its art style is rather different from everything else so I don't know if it's quite comparable.

Shoshon the Elegant: This may be my favourite screen I've seen from this project, at least in a while. Other than a minor nitpick - the lower right ladder looking (and I hate to say it) a little off perspective-wise (really didn't like typing that), maybe because it uses the same tile as the other ladder which is supposed to be in the opposite direction - everything works really nicely. Want to see the gators now too.

Matthew: Looks lovely. Gives a very cold feeling. Not much else to say here - can't find any issues.

Jared: Again, it looks great. My only slight issue is that it's a bit dark, but (as I've said on here a number of times for various screenshots) it probably works fine in context.

Lüt: I do enjoy this screen a lot - all those multicoloured mountain tiles make the screen really lively (though the animation also probably helps). No issues here.

Voted Matthew, with Lüt very close behind, and Shoshon so close behind in third. And the other two weren't far behind that either.

• Matthew likes this

#6 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

Moosh - This is looking really nice actually, the design is really different than what I'm used to in ZC and it could make quite an interesting puzzle quest idea. Though sadly a missed opportunity on making an impossible shape illusion with those :(

Shoshon - Really nice sewers setting you have here. I don't see any alligators around so I'm guessing they're probably WIP or on another screen. Looking good anyway though, I like what you got here.

Matthew - br is very fitting indeed. I love the design and atmosphere of this shot, you did a good job with the overall composition.

Jared - This is really nicely put together, the colours and design sets the mood very well. I imagine this area would be pretty fun to explore.

Lut - Interesting design here, I like the variety of mountain colours which is pretty neat to distinguish between different areas of the screen. The lava tiles look pretty nice too. Assuming this is for 1SM, you guys totally need a Tektite workout gym now.

It was very tough for me this week, lots of great choices to choose from. I voted for br this week.

• Matthew likes this

#7 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:39 AM

Oh, I did have an alligator on the screen, but I had killed him before cause I wanted to show off the dungeon item sprite. xD

• Eddy likes this

#8 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:22 PM

I'm voting for Lüt simply because I'm imagining polka music in the background of his shot

• coolgamer012345 and Lüt like this

#9 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:23 PM

I voted for Moosh purely because the screen made me go '...huh, cool.'

#10 sutibu

sutibu

Initiate

• Members

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:22 PM

Wow,

I'm enjoying the turnout this week for sure. Let's get down to brass tacks.

Moosh - I love the look of this. Those tiles are from Solstice right? I loved that game. I remember playing it for hours, playing through little by little and learning the little quirks along the way. I remember when I finally beat it too. Great game. I'm not sure how the perspective would work in ZC but none the less an interesting shot.

Shoshon - I'm a fan of all the work you do. You make the most of your tiles, do a lot of custom work. Even though you seemingly struggle with your spriting work from time to time you never give up and always manage to create something unique. I like this shot. My main complaint is the color of the docks (the white stands out too much). Otherwise it looks solid.

Matthew - I'm a sucker for snow shots and this one nailed it in every way. The castle town scene. The well. I think the detail is used perfectly and everything is spaced nicely. The mood of the screen is so sublime.

Jared - This screen is beautiful. It nails that Legend of Zelda feel perfectly. Deep in the woods, exploring an ancient ruin. It has that mysterious feel to it which is nice. I think everything fits the screen perfect to be honest and I don't have any complaints on it.

Lut - This is a really cool screen and I think of all the screens this time, this is the one I want to play the most. There's so much intriguing with this shot. The lava flow. The fortress that just makes it way into the screen. The changing mountain colors and patterns. It's a joy to the imagination. And I love the playfulness with the tektites. I think it would be kind of funny if you scripted this screen so that the first time you enter it some goofy music plays and the tektites just move in that motion for a few seconds, before the music and gameplay returns. Kind of like in some of those old SNES RPGs (Mario RPG comes to mind where you turn into 8 bit Mario for just a few second before returning), or classic PC adventure games with an Easter egg (Quest for Glory I VGA with Earl from Dinosaurs coming in on the screen).

All great shots this week, but Matthew's snow shot stole my heart and took my vote :)

スティーブ

• Anthus, Jared, Matthew and 1 other like this

#11 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:45 AM

I agree honestly. I mentioned on Discord the other day that the white bugged me. I just liked it more than the other options. But I'll wind out making my own color for them.
  • sutibu likes this

#12 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:47 AM

I agree honestly. I mentioned on Discord the other day that the white bugged me. I just liked it more than the other options. But I'll wind out making my own color for them.

Do you even need the docks? Couldn't you set the ladder to be the "dock" and you'd just raft as you would now? Just a thought I had earlier today.

• Anthus, Jared, sutibu and 1 other like this

#13 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:40 PM

Do you even need the docks? Couldn't you set the ladder to be the "dock" and you'd just raft as you would now? Just a thought I had earlier today.

.....I didn't even think of that.

• Anthus likes this

#14 krustaford

krustaford

• Banned

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

:omg:

That is amazing art! :drool: 

#15 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:26 AM

You should see some of the other SotW competitions.

I recommend 662 because I won that one and am still on a high from it.

But in all seriousness, 660 was a really good recent one, and not only because so many people entered.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Matthew, Moosh, Shoshon the Elegant, Jared, Lüt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users