Photo

Wanted: Rock/electronic OST composer (paid!)

Help Wanted OST Music Carnage in Space

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:47 PM

Slowly but surely, Carnage in Space: Ignition is shaping up and getting closer to completion. You know what that means?

No? Go read the title again. I'll be here.

So yes, I'd like to start swapping out some of the royalty-free music (maybe not all of it, but at least the more important tracks) with an original soundtrack. So if any of you compose instrumental rock/metal/electronic music (not MIDI) and would like to help out, let me know. As the title states, I'm offering a commission on this.

Interested? You can start by PM-ing some samples of your work this way.
Alternatively, if you know a guy who knows a guy who might do that sort of thing, could you let me know?

Needed tunes (as I think of them and find good examples):

Game Intro Cutscene: A short electronic ambient loop to get players interested while they look at a scene in space with some quick exposition. Should get you pumped for the action to come. Compare to this song (but, you know, shorter).

LVL1: Plays in a forest where players are thrust into the action with little explanation of what's going on.

I'd like it to sound similar to this song, with mainly synths and electric guitars. It should sound more upbeat and exciting than the sample. This tune needs to leave a good first impression of the game's soundtrack on new players, so it should be catchy and have a memorable tune.

LVL1 Intro Cutscene: A very short (30s tops) low-key loop of a snippet of the LVL1 theme that plays before it begins for real

War Room Cutscene: An ambient tune that plays during most of the game's cutscenes (primarily mission briefing and debriefing). Should not be much longer than a minute. (Done)

LVL7: A high-adrenaline, intense industrial/rock tune playing during an assault on a shipyard/factory. The villain's true plan has finally come to light, and it's time to stop it! Compare to this song, but leaning a bit more towards rock/metal with the main part of the song lead by electric guitars.

LVL7 Outro Cutscene: Extremely fast, frantic tune (no more than 30s) that plays as you're rushing to prevent something really, really bad from happening. Compare to this song, especially starting at ~30s.

LVL8 Intro Cutscene: After the horrible thing happens. A bleak, hollow tune to go with the player's shock. I don't want to post spoilers, but I'm not sure I can get this feel across without telling you that this scene happens

Spoiler

LVL8: Plays in a space shoot-em-up level right after that thing happens, when players will really be in a mood to kill a few dozen things.

Should sound similar to this song, with most or all of the main instruments being synths. Again, this is a tune to get mad and blow stuff up to. There should also be a quieter section in the middle that sounds more sad than anything else.

Edited by MoscowModder, 20 January 2016 - 06:32 PM.

• Mani Kanina likes this

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:27 PM

I have two mates that might suffice. I'll ask them, and see if either are interested.

• MoscowModder likes this

#3 Dr. Mutagen

Dr. Mutagen

Even in the future, nothing works!

• Members

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:17 PM

Is there a minimum required level of experience for this sort of thing?  I've been wanting to jump into a serious music-making venture for years (Hell, it's even my new year's resolution for this year!), but I've been so bogged down with adult stuff (full-time job and all that) to pull it off.  I've got the tools for the job (FL Studio).  I just need the motivation, and I think this could provide me with the opportunity I need to finally break out of my shell.

Of course, the decision is entirely yours, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm definitely interested.  

#4 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:20 PM

There are no objective experience/skill requirements - only that I like what I hear (and I'm not that picky :P). If you've got a sample tune, I'd love to hear it.

This page has links to most of the royalty-free music I've got right now, and most of those are a pretty good indicator of what I'm going for. If you're familiar with the MegaMan (especially Zero) franchise and its music, that is also pretty close to what I want in terms of general feel.

#5 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:06 PM

I'm quite busy, and I'll be spending spring doing research. But if I have the time I could maybe make a song or two, though you'll have to prove example for what you actually want.

I have a lot of old crap lying around, but most of it has been a learning experience and is not really good examples for where my skills lies today. You can find my latest work, a piano duet, here though: Link
Which I'm currently working to turn into an simple orchestral piece.

Anyway, if you want someone who has proven to be good, I can recommend bagel, he makes lot's of good shiiiit!

#6 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:36 AM

EDIT: See the first post for a list of tunes with links to example songs.

Edited by MoscowModder, 08 January 2016 - 05:46 PM.

#7 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:55 AM

MoscowModder, your link is dead. http://localhost/credits.php isn't a valid URL.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 07 January 2016 - 04:56 AM.

#8 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:17 AM

oh uh, wow, you seem to have a pretty vivid picture on exactly how you want the tracks to sound. I'm going to be upfront and just let you know that it might be setting yourself up for disappointment, because no tracks is going to sound like how you envisioned it. :P

Anyway, it's not bad to have an idea of what you want, but I guess I wasn't really clear in my post. I meant more along the lines of examples of music that sounds similar to what you want. Music is very abstract to discuss using words, even more so if you're not a composer that know the terminology. Which is why audio examples are great for the most part. :P

#9 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:46 AM

I can understand why someone would choose not to provide "similar sounding" music, though. You don't want someone creating a faux-remix of an existing track when you're looking for original music.

I'll echo what was said above, I'd try reaching out to Bagel. He does some really solid electronica and might be available to do some commission work.

#10 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:26 AM

I can understand why someone would choose not to provide "similar sounding" music, though. You don't want someone creating a faux-remix of an existing track when you're looking for original music.

No, this is actually how I and others work. You're provided with songs that feature similar kind of "sound" of what the client wants in order to grasp exactly what they are after. This does not mean you have to do an extremely similar track with that information (although, you can). Rather, this information is used to figure out what kind of musical ideas the client want, which you can use to make some prototypes, which you can then iterate on with feedback from the client.

You could, of course, just give a looser frame work to allow the creative mind of the composer do the job, which can also provide great results. But a problem that can come up from that is that it won't sound anything like what the client actually wanted.

#11 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:47 AM

MoscowModder, your link is dead. http://localhost/credits.php isn't a valid URL.

Ahahahahahahahaha.... oops. Copied the URL from the wrong server. It's http://carnageinspace.com/credits.php.

@Everyone else: Yeah, I'll try to find some similar songs to link to after work. I know from Solaris not to expect to get exactly what I'm working for. What I was doing up there was just describing my vision and hoping against hope that inspires someone to get something with the right feel.

• Mani Kanina likes this

#12 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

Okay, I'm starting to put together a list of tunes with examples and much more concise descriptions up at the first post.

• Mani Kanina likes this

#13 alyxjones

alyxjones

• Members

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:32 AM

I would be interested in talking more :)

Some sample tracks:

Rock/Metal: https://soundcloud.c...ckholm-syndrome

Rock Remix: https://soundcloud.c...me-a-rock-remix(I of course didn't write this song)

Electronic/Ambient: https://soundcloud.c.../the-seas-truth

#14 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:39 AM

Let me know if you still need any music, I can talk to my bandmates about putting together an new song when we erecord, next (which will e soon) You can find some of our stuff at sundayfuneral.com or on youtube

Edited by Binx, 04 February 2016 - 02:41 AM.

#15 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for the offer, but I've now found a composer so I should be set. If things don't work out, though, I'll know where to look!

• Binx likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Help Wanted, OST, Music, Carnage in Space

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users