Wanted: Testers for 2.54

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:36 AM

This build is suspended. The canonical ZC 2.54 has replaced it. Please do not use these builds for making quests. Official 2.54.0 alphas exist, that you can use, instead.

If you created a quest using 2.future and you need to convert it to an official build, please post a note here.

Zelda Classic [2.future]
is coming along nicely, and we've reached a point where we need some community aid, in ensuring that it will be as solid an edition for ZC as anyone can want. Therefore, given that this new version is going to need four distinct types of testing, we're looking for three to five people (initially, although if we need more, so be it) who are interesting in assisting us with these processes.

Here is an outline of the types of testing that are mandatory:

Quest Compatibility
We need people to play existing quests, from 2.50.x, 2.10, 19.2, and so forth, and report any bugs that occur in 2.54 that are related to things that may have changed. This consequently may reveal bugs in 2,.50.3, that we can fix at the same time. Bugs ranging from minor to major, or esoteric; are all important to fix, even for older quests. We certainly want 2.54 to be able to play the full ZC quest library.

If any LPer is interested in doing this, and posting videos of bugs, that would be exceptionally helpful.

New Feature Testing
testing the programme, via Quest Building: We need people to test new features, by making quests using them. Report if any bugs exist, and if the features work as documented. These can be simple demos, or fully-playable quests. That's up to you. Should you choose to build a playable quest, we will do our best to support it in future builds.

This includes testing editor features, and ZScript features, including language extensions, should we implement any.

This further includes Implementation Change Testing: When we change something, we need people to test if the implementation breaks anything that we had already done. In most cases, the change is fully documented, so behavioural changes will be easy to find, but once in a while, a minor change can cause major headaches.

Stability Testing
There are two main branches for 2.54: One, uses Allegro 4.2, as 2.50.x has done, and the other, uses Allegro 4.4.3, which is ​much newer​, uses DirectX 8, fixes many long-standing issues, but may introduce any number of unknown problems. At present, it has a critical stability bug when trying to play any non-MIDI/non-WAV sound file, that we are trying to solve.

We need testers who are willing to cope with these stability problems, test the programme, and report anything that causes hangs, or crashes. Unstable betas are not released in the main thread.

Cross-Platform Testing
We will need users on Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX, to test the above three categories across these platforms. If we for any reason expand the covered platforms, we will need testers for anything new, too.
Allegro 4.4.3 supports BeOS, QNX, and PSP's OS. I've no idea yet if our other dependencies can run on any of those, though.

Testers will receive top-priority support, change documentation, latest builds, notification of daily builds, and prioritised consideration for suggestions/requests.

Any user who is interested, please reply to this thread; not by PM. Thank you, on behalf of the [2.future] Dev Team.
  • Jared, Alucard648 and Aquamentus (Facing Right) like this

#2 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

New Feature Testing
testing the programme, via Quest Building: We need people to test new features, by making quests using them. Report if any bugs exist, and if the features work as documented. These can be simple demos, or fully-playable quests. That's up to you. Should you choose to build a playable quest, we will do our best to support it in future builds.

This includes testing editor features, and ZScript features, including language extensions, should we implement any.

I could possibly do this to a certain extent, given my familiarity with ZScript and the current features of the editor. I probably won't use it to make a quest until it's more stable, though.

I can't help with testing old quests, since I'm very bad at most older quests and wouldn't be able to get far enough in the game to determine if any errors exist.

This further includes Implementation Change Testing: When we change something, we need people to test if the implementation breaks anything that we had already done. In most cases, the change is fully documented, so behavioural changes will be easy to find, but once in a while, a minor change can cause major headaches.

So, test a quest (either complete or in the works) after a change has been made and see if it behaves as it did before the alterations? I can help with that.

Stability Testing
There are two main branches for 2.54: One, uses Allegro 4.2, as 2.50.x has done, and the other, uses Allegro 4.4.3, which is ​much newer​, uses DirectX 8, fixes many long-standing issues, but may introduce any number of unknown problems. At present, it has a critical stability bug when trying to play any non-MIDI/non-WAV sound file, that we are trying to solve.

We need testers who are willing to cope with these stability problems, test the programme, and report anything that causes hangs, or crashes. Unstable betas are not released in the main thread.

I can probably do some of this too, provided that I had a quest to work with which I'm capable of making some kind of progress in. Fortunately, I have some of my older quests (even from the days before scripts) which might suffice for this. It might also reveal some of the things you were referring to in the first type of testing, but I'm not entirely sure that would be the case.

I currently use Windows 7.

#3 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

I could try out 2.54. I'd be testing 1, 2 and 4 only though.

#4 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:19 PM

Quest compatibily...let's say 'm thinking to do it, but i have few questions :

you will do a list of the quests that ALL  the testers must try or each  tester is free to decide what quest play ?

test only 1 quest for each vesion is OK ?

testers must simply report the bug or indicate even a grade of severity ? what are the criteria for determinate if a bug is minor,major or.... esoteric ?

#5 Aquamentus (Facing Right)

Aquamentus (Facing Right)

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:49 PM

(deleted)

Edited by Aquamentus (Facing Right), 14 February 2019 - 05:03 AM.

• Alucard648 likes this

#6 boltfox20

boltfox20

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. I'm running a Mac and I'm always acutely aware of this fact when I play anything in ZC.

Current OS is 10.12.1 Sierra

While I would not be doing much with ZQuest, I could run the current versions of LOW through it and the main program to see what problems, if any, arise.

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:43 AM

I could try out 2.54. I'd be testing 1, 2 and 4 only though.

Sure, why not. Go ahead and try the first three, and try your own quest, and let us know if there are any issues.

Quest compatibily...let's say 'm thinking to do it, but i have few questions :

you will do a list of the quests that ALL  the testers must try or each  tester is free to decide what quest play ?

test only 1 quest for each vesion is OK ?

testers must simply report the bug or indicate even a grade of severity ? what are the criteria for determinate if a bug is minor,major or.... esoteric ?

If people want assignments, that's fine. We're also happy to let you pick some quests, but you should discuss your choices, and indicate why you selected them. Clearly, quests that use heavy scripting, and quests that make good use of quest rules, or other quirky game mechanics are the ideal candidates to find broken things.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'test one quest for each version'. Each new bets?

Report the bug in detail. Describe what is wrong, where it happens, how to replicate it. If you designed the quest/scit, indicate what you are doing that causes it. if you are playing it, indicate as much as possible. Rating the severity of bugs is a project staff concern, but we follow the same guidelines as the AGN 2.5 bug categorisation.

If you want a detailed list of how to categorise bugs in advance of reporting them, certainly we'll include that with the package.

If you can record footage of the bug, that's a bonus.

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. I'm running a Mac and I'm always acutely aware of this fact when I play anything in ZC.

Current OS is 10.12.1 Sierra

While I would not be doing much with ZQuest, I could run the current versions of LOW through it and the main program to see what problems, if any, arise.

That would be fantastic. Are you one of the users who reported issues opening ZC/ZQuest on 10.12? Such a bizarre decision by Apple, that we needed to solve. :(

What type of testing would you be doing? Base gameplay, script design, or both?

I could possibly do this to a certain extent, given my familiarity with ZScript and the current features of the editor. I probably won't use it to make a quest until it's more stable, though.

I can't help with testing old quests, since I'm very bad at most older quests and wouldn't be able to get far enough in the game to determine if any errors exist.

So, test a quest (either complete or in the works) after a change has been made and see if it behaves as it did before the alterations? I can help with that.

I can probably do some of this too, provided that I had a quest to work with which I'm capable of making some kind of progress in. Fortunately, I have some of my older quests (even from the days before scripts) which might suffice for this. It might also reveal some of the things you were referring to in the first type of testing, but I'm not entirely sure that would be the case.

I currently use Windows 7.

Added you to the group. Welcome to hell.

Can I give my opinion on some fixes and/or new features?

You are welcome to submit suggestions, requests, and general feedback in the [url=http://www.purezc.ne...topic=71305mainthread.

To those who indicated an interest in testing: Please indicate also if you are a Skype user.

#8 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:52 PM

Dear Zoria, i'm not in skype, i hope this is not a trouble.

i have  Window 10, I try the  beta ( 35 ), just for see it, but i don't do yet a true test, i will wait your instructions.

I just try to open, play, save and load  this 3 quests and hee the results :

1- "Promised Land" : the game can be load, save and seem it work well, i just play it for 5 minutes - i select this quest since it have scripts

2- "Yuurei" : the quest started well but after few screens the game crash and show a message : "Windows: a problem caused program stop working correctly. If a solution is available, Windows will close the program and receive an automatic notification" ( this message is a translation into english, it may be not 100% correct ) but the only option was close the program...in the few screens i play i notice it run a little more fast that normal, the game crushed in the room at south of the teleport of the first area

3- "Honky Pig" : this quest crash after i register the name and load the quest, it don't even start to play, i got the same message i saw in Yuurei. I try to load again other 2 times but at the 4° attempt i give up..it don't work, at least in this beta. Ths game was made for 1.90 

Edited by Dark Ice Dragon, 26 December 2016 - 03:57 PM.

#9 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

I would be more than happy to support this, though I do not know how much help I would be with any of the sections but the first one.  I do play a wide variety of quests, though, and could test many of them.  I have Windows 7.

#10 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

I tried Beta 35 on two quests so far, and Panopoly (http://www.purezc.ne...e=quests&id=618) is the only one that has been having problems...the same as it has in 2.50.3  RC 1.  It's quickly reached in the Yokoi dungeon, due W of the starting point (though you need Zelda's arrows and the blue candle to enter.)  Namely, when areas have two floors, ZC doesn't always read it right.  If you play in the newer version, from the first room, when you go left, you cannot go any further left.  This was working fine in 2.50.2.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#11 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

I tried Beta 35 on two quests so far, and Panopoly (http://www.purezc.ne...e=quests&id=618) is the only one that has been having problems...the same as it has in 2.50.3  RC 1.  It's quickly reached in the Yokoi dungeon, due W of the starting point (though you need Zelda's arrows and the blue candle to enter.)  Namely, when areas have two floors, ZC doesn't always read it right.  If you play in the newer version, from the first room, when you go left, you cannot go any further left.  This was working fine in 2.50.2.

It is possible that this is a bug that has already been resolved. Would you care to check in this build, and tell me if the same issue persists?

Thanks for the report. :)

[...]

@Mitsukara: COuld you check this, and let me know if it is related to the same SetComboSOlid issue, or if it is something new?

Note please that this could be related to a known issue in 2.50.3; and as 2.54 was build off of 2.50.3, it inherited some issues that we've been resolving. If this is the same problem, it is fixed as of beta 40 or 41 -- I would need to consult the change log; but if it is a new issue, it will need to be fixed not only in 2.54, but also in 2.50.3.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 28 December 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:01 PM

Dear Zoria, i'm not in skype, i hope this is not a trouble.

i have  Window 10, I try the  beta ( 35 ), just for see it, but i don't do yet a true test, i will wait your instructions.

I just try to open, play, save and load  this 3 quests and hee the results :

1- "Promised Land" : the game can be load, save and seem it work well, i just play it for 5 minutes - i select this quest since it have scripts

2- "Yuurei" : the quest started well but after few screens the game crash and show a message : "Windows: a problem caused program stop working correctly. If a solution is available, Windows will close the program and receive an automatic notification" ( this message is a translation into english, it may be not 100% correct ) but the only option was close the program...in the few screens i play i notice it run a little more fast that normal, the game crushed in the room at south of the teleport of the first area

3- "Honky Pig" : this quest crash after i register the name and load the quest, it don't even start to play, i got the same message i saw in Yuurei. I try to load again other 2 times but at the 4° attempt i give up..it don't work, at least in this beta. Ths game was made for 1.90

You should both download Beta 46 for Windows.

New stuff includes weapon defence outcomes: '2x damage', '3x damage', '4x damage', and 'Inverse damage'. The latter of these increases enemy hp on hit.

Nee ZScript goodies, ad other things too. Have a look at the changlog and other text files.

As a bonus, this includes a sample script and demo quest of a two-page scripted subscreen (SubscreenDemo2.qst) and its one-page counterpart (Subscreen.qst). The code is in the buffer, and also as an external file (Subscreen2.zs, and Subscreen.zs, respectively).

You can now also enable, and disable the debug console from the ZC 'Misc' menu at will.

Mitsukara confirmed that this is the same bug with SetComboSolid, which should be fixed in this build.

Mac versions will likely come out next month.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 28 December 2016 - 11:04 PM.

#13 boltfox20

boltfox20

Junior

• Members

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

That would be fantastic. Are you one of the users who reported issues opening ZC/ZQuest on 10.12? Such a bizarre decision by Apple, that we needed to solve. :(

What type of testing would you be doing? Base gameplay, script design, or both?

I don't recall doing much reporting, then, but I also did not have a Mac, then. I got one from my college recently. ^_^;

Gameplay, mostly, but I could test any quest you wanted to throw at me. I already plan on testing the quests that me and my friend are currently making on 2.50. And I really enjoy Hero of Fire's Randomizers, so those are definitely getting a play.

I do have a skype account. I'd be happy to offer it in PM.

#14 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

I don't recall doing much reporting, then, but I also did not have a Mac, then. I got one from my college recently. ^_^;

Gameplay, mostly, but I could test any quest you wanted to throw at me. I already plan on testing the quests that me and my friend are currently making on 2.50. And I really enjoy Hero of Fire's Randomizers, so those are definitely getting a play.

I do have a skype account. I'd be happy to offer it in PM.

If you've still a system with Windows on it, you may want to try those betas for the present. Linux and OSX are waiting for post-merge goodness.

You may find me on Skype with the same username, as I've here.

#15 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:50 PM

i try the same 3 quests on beta 46 but the result is the same, Yuurei always crush in the same room and the H.Pig don't even start.

Since Pomised Lands work well i will continue to test this quest, no bugs found untill now.

I also load a incomplete quest i made few month ago in 2.50, it work well too, i may use it  it for test the new weapon defence outcomes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users