• Please log in to reply
7943 replies to this topic

#7861 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 13 February 2021 - 10:00 PM

8w9VnFh.pngWl8Bkyn.png

I'm exploring creating a slot canyon, so a place that's almost like a cave but only because sheer cliff walls and is technically open to the sky above.

I like the dirt texture, but I'm yet to find extra details that are appropriate for this specific location. The idea being is the area is constantly under threat of both sandstorms and rainstorms which cause floods. Seashells/coral will be good to start. The odd piece of wood debris will be useful too because there will also be derelict boats in the area as well.

I'm exploring also mixing the LttP/GB structured mountains, using GB for sheer walls but LttP for sloped walls.

Edit: I'm also aware of the pixel continuity error in the top left corner.

Edited by Nuvo, 13 February 2021 - 10:02 PM.

• Twilight Knight, Mitchfork, Aslion and 5 others like this

#7862 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 14 February 2021 - 09:27 AM

I didn't expect to like the mix of perspectives but it kinda works. If you're going for an open air vibe I think a brighter palette with some dark regions in the shot would capture the sense of natural illumination.

#7863 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:49 AM

SPxq7DU.png

Already decided I wanted a different vibe from my SotW entry and altered the palette to make something a little greener and subdued.  Some extra screens of the path leading up to it too.  Might play with the details some more still, too - might want to use those statue/wall decorations in a different locale... but good enough for now.

• Twilight Knight, Colin, Eddy and 6 others like this

#7864 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 17 February 2021 - 03:32 AM

Excellent work as always Mitch. I don't really have any critiques for it. I wonder if there are a bit too many ground details, but also it's a style I think that works so I don't know if I see a need or reason to change it.

I've got two more:

pOvZ3tf.png0Na6uvz.png

from the same area as before. Tactical foliage to cover lack of transition tiles I can't be bothered to make. I may have to delete the screen with all the water in it is it may be structurally impossible with a prospective neighboring screen but we'll see.

• Twilight Knight, Mitchfork, Sheik and 3 others like this

#7865 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 February 2021 - 09:02 AM

It's great to see some of your work again, Colin aka Nuvo aka Strato. I have no complaints; I applaud you for keeping the screens this open without them feeling empty.

#7866 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:07 PM

Continuing on, this screen's a bit of a proof of concept at this point and probably a candidate for a title screen.

tiRdnJw.png

I wanted to see if it was possible to create an arch with these graphics and how it would look. It looks alright. Given that it's sort of a striking set-piece of the location, I probably want to make something a bit more custom, but it's a start.

• Twilight Knight, Russ, Jared and 3 others like this

#7867 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:27 AM

It's definitely a good start. I keep wondering whether it would look better if the lowest level merged with the surrounding mountains to the left and right. I feel like it would still look like an arc but a little less standalone-ish.

• Colin likes this

#7868 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:27 PM

QpAsGus.png

This screen was very hard to make, but it's getting closer to what was in my head. I need to draw a few transition tiles and I think it'll look pretty cool after that.

• Twilight Knight, Sheik, Jared and 3 others like this

#7869 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 February 2021 - 04:04 AM

Yeah, this is quite a bit better I believe! I think the screen is good as-is now, but if you want to tinker around with it some more you could consider making the mountains and the water in the upper half of the screen touch directly (i.e. without sand/beach between them).

Have you per chance built a couple screens surrounding this one? I'd be interested in seeing how this merges into the map overall, if you feel like sharing.

• Colin likes this

#7870 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 12 March 2021 - 08:35 PM

asFhTeY.png

And yet I strive...

• Twilight Knight, Shane, Eddy and 4 others like this

#7871 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 March 2021 - 06:27 PM

I like the Tokay tents, they work very nicely in this kinda area. I'm uncertain if I like the solid grass tiles in the western section, though. They sure add variety, so that's prob nice, but they kinda break the theming for me...

• Demonlink likes this

#7872 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 13 March 2021 - 07:02 PM

I like the Tokay tents, they work very nicely in this kinda area. I'm uncertain if I like the solid grass tiles in the western section, though. They sure add variety, so that's prob nice, but they kinda break the theming for me...

I forgot to add some context, the fortress at the west is entrance to some old ruins (a dungeon) that is planned to be an oasis like area... Haven't gotten the whole idea thought out yet, but that's what I have in mind, thus, I thought adding some grass patches would be a nice detail to that. :D

#7873 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 15 March 2021 - 01:49 PM

GNkI9hb.png

Entrance of Harena Palace (Outside). I've had second thoughts regarding the color of the water... It looks good with a blue hue, but I also tried setting it to a pinkish/purplish tone to get more of a "sunset" like feel. Any opinions?

EDIT: Here's a shot of the dungeon interior:

ZM1oGbM.png

Edited by Demonlink, 15 March 2021 - 01:51 PM.

• Twilight Knight, Shane, Jared and 3 others like this

#7874 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 March 2021 - 01:56 PM

I definitely think you should go with a more pink/purple/orange hue for the water (any of those may work).

The palace interior is awesome, I'm a big fan of that!

• Demonlink likes this

#7875 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 23 March 2021 - 12:29 PM

7hFCT0N.png

(Ignore the subscreen, haven't gotten around to seeing what's bugging it).

Edited by Demonlink, 23 March 2021 - 12:29 PM.

• Twilight Knight, Shane, Eddy and 3 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users