Design Concepts and Ideas

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#91 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:57 PM

You get an item that looks like a skull, or a cursed relic of some sort with nothing more than the instruction to use "only in a real bind". If you use this, it kills ALL enemies on the screen. But, it also reduces your HP to one quarter (or half) heart. It can save you in a tough situation, but also creates a tough situation making you really think about it. Better have potions if you want to use this. It probably shouldn't work on bosses. Or should it?

#92 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:31 PM

You get an item that looks like a skull, or a cursed relic of some sort with nothing more than the instruction to use "only in a real bind". If you use this, it kills ALL enemies on the screen. But, it also reduces your HP to one quarter (or half) heart. It can save you in a tough situation, but also creates a tough situation making you really think about it. Better have potions if you want to use this. It probably shouldn't work on bosses. Or should it?

I was thinking maybe not drop you to 1/4 heart, but do a significant enough amount of damage to discourage its usage so you can't just potion away the damage and spam it. Now if it would use ALL of your magic and do damage based on remaining magic, I could see it working. And I don't really think instant killing on enemies is the best idea, since then players could just opt to bomb through rooms where you may otherwise use potions to get through. Maybe insta-kill up to mid-tier enemies while doing sizable damage to high-tier enemies and having no effect on elite monsters (such as Death Knights and Mirror Wizzrobes). For bosses, should be nerfed to maybe 4-6 hits worth of damage of whatever weapon they're weak to. Or just flat out not work period.

So in short, say your maximum heart count is 16. Have it use up 10 hearts (if you have less than 10, it either does nothing or using it causes you to game over) and require full magic to use. However much magic you have, your damage is based off that. Again, anything that prevents players from just going on a suicide bombing spree with it. Just my opinion of course.

• Anthus likes this

#93 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:38 PM

For bosses it also kills you and drops all your money.
  • Anthus and KingPridenia like this

#94 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:03 AM

I had an idea for some kinda of item that would randomly save you after you died, kinda like a fairy but it would randomly save you, rather than saving you every time. The item could also start getting, possibly, more effective the more you use it up until it breaks. In which case you have to get a new one.

Also it could get less effective, but I did think it getting more effective owuld be more interesting.

#95 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:17 AM

I was thinking maybe not drop you to 1/4 heart, but do a significant enough amount of damage to discourage its usage so you can't just potion away the damage and spam it. Now if it would use ALL of your magic and do damage based on remaining magic, I could see it working. And I don't really think instant killing on enemies is the best idea, since then players could just opt to bomb through rooms where you may otherwise use potions to get through. Maybe insta-kill up to mid-tier enemies while doing sizable damage to high-tier enemies and having no effect on elite monsters (such as Death Knights and Mirror Wizzrobes). For bosses, should be nerfed to maybe 4-6 hits worth of damage of whatever weapon they're weak to. Or just flat out not work period.

So in short, say your maximum heart count is 16. Have it use up 10 hearts (if you have less than 10, it either does nothing or using it causes you to game over) and require full magic to use. However much magic you have, your damage is based off that. Again, anything that prevents players from just going on a suicide bombing spree with it. Just my opinion of course.

The way I was thinking is it is a one time use item. You can find/ buy/ obtain more, but each one can be used once. There's a ton of variations though. What inspired me was the curse medal in Skyward Sword. I actually tried making one, and it works, but "kill all enemy" items can't be placed on the subscreen, and therefore cannot be selected. When you pick it up, it kills everything, and drops your HP. It could also function as a drop. You can choose to grab it if it appears on a screen, but maybe it would only deal a few hearts of damage, but still kill all enemies. 

#96 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

Easy to script the cursed stone thing. Just an item script attached to a custom item. You should try and script it Anthus, it'll be good practice...

Here's the steps
. Spawn a kill all item under link's position. There is a script in the database that does this, I think it is by Bagel - simple item spawner or similar name
. Set link's hp.
. Remove this item from link inventory if it's one time use.

#97 elmind

elmind

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:53 AM

Idea: Remake classic La-Mulana (the one that was inspired by MSX limitations) in ZeldaClassic.

#98 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:50 AM

what i like or what is always a thing?

if games you buy do the thing, then everyone will do it if they can.

Overworld

Tundra: Why not? We've seen plenty of snowy mountains, but I've yet to see a tundra. It'd basically be something like a desert area meeting a snow area. Myself, I'm definitely doing this.

Space: Not literally in space, but some kind of space-like area with stars and planets. I think, if done right, this kind of area could be just beautiful. I'd like to do this in the future, but no quest right now has a place for it.

Crystal: A kind of crystal area. I think a crystal-like forest would be awesome, but it would work in most areas I imagine. Basically, everything is very shiny and, you guessed it, crystal like. I've got plans to do something along these lines.

Dungeons

Mirrors: There is so much potential in a mirror dungeon. An obvious one is the wand, but I really think the amount of puzzles that could be made out of a dungeon of mirrors is stunning.

Also, you could easily take the Space area and Crystal area and turn them into dungeons. icon_razz.gif

i guess what you do is make the layer. and all the over world parts, are transparentish. and your layer looks like that crystaline glass.

works too for an ice palace.

#99 elmind

elmind

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:24 AM

Know what cool thing could be done by now? Demaking Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

#100 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:44 PM

when you hit the enemy you recover HP, but even the enemy may recover HP when hit you

#101 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

Overworld:

Fjord:

Fjords are pretty. I like them.

Jungle:

Jungles are cool. I like them.

Dungeons:

Dungeons that actually mix into the overworld are cool. I like them. I wanna make some myself.

Inn/Motel:

One idea I had for mine is that a dungeon could take place inside an inn. You would start off with most of the keys, and have to search for the others. 

Time:

Time is cool. I like time.

• Jared, coolgamer012345 and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#102 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:36 PM

What about a reversed dungeon? This may have been said, but basically, you fall into the Boss Room first. Then, after that, the entire point of the dungeon is to get out. You can still find an item, and all that other dungeon stuff. Maybe even at the exit, the boss you fought returns all forlorn, and hurt, and tries to finish the job. Perhaps if it is a short dungeon, there could be a time limit till it 'collapses' or something. I was thinking of Ganon's Tower in OoT, or pretty much any Metroid Game ending.

#103 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:33 AM

These just came to me as of writing this post. I just wanted to test my creativity and idea-making skills. These are basic generic ideas, but they might inspire someone... hopefully!

Red/Blue Dungeon:

Imagine a dungeon where instead of hitting blue or red crystal switches to lower or raise blue and red blocks, you hit blue or red crystals to change the theme of the dungeon within an instant. From a lava-filled fiery dungeon to a frozen icy one.

Memory Dungeon:

A dungeon based on the memories of an NPC. Any childhood fears are in the form of monsters and any puzzling situation they had been through is now in the form of a puzzle. Perhaps you have to restore/recover/save their memories from the boss (fear/anxiety/negative emotion itself?).

Ancient Technology Dungeon:

A dungeon that is in disrepair. The first half makes it appear to be a standard ruined dungeon of any basic theme. But when you reach a certain point, you hit a switch which turns on the dungeon and its machinery (Armos, conveyors, etc.) completely surprising the player. Perhaps now there are more explorable areas that inactive Armos were blocking. Perhaps the boss is inactive and is in one of the earlier rooms?

Emotion Dungeon:

Like the memory dungeon, this would be not a real dungeon or perhaps is and just represents the various human emotions. Each emotion represents a classic dungeon theme and song. The fire section represents anger. The water section represents sadness. The dark section represents fear. Whatever you feel works best. Maybe the boss could be the head statue boss seen in Oracle of Ages' Wing Dungeon which had four faces representing various emotions.

• Avaro, Jared, coolgamer012345 and 4 others like this

#104 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:46 AM

These just came to me as of writing this post. I just wanted to test my creativity and idea-making skills. These are basic generic ideas, but they might inspire someone... hopefully!

Red/Blue Dungeon:
Imagine a dungeon where instead of hitting blue or red crystal switches to lower or raise blue and red blocks, you hit blue or red crystals to change the theme of the dungeon within an instant. From a lava-filled fiery dungeon to a frozen icy one.

Memory Dungeon:
A dungeon based on the memories of an NPC. Any childhood fears are in the form of monsters and any puzzling situation they had been through is now in the form of a puzzle. Perhaps you have to restore/recover/save their memories from the boss (fear/anxiety/negative emotion itself?).

Ancient Technology Dungeon:
A dungeon that is in disrepair. The first half makes it appear to be a standard ruined dungeon of any basic theme. But when you reach a certain point, you hit a switch which turns on the dungeon and its machinery (Armos, conveyors, etc.) completely surprising the player. Perhaps now there are more explorable areas that inactive Armos were blocking. Perhaps the boss is inactive and is in one of the earlier rooms?

Emotion Dungeon:
Like the memory dungeon, this would be not a real dungeon or perhaps is and just represents the various human emotions. Each emotion represents a classic dungeon theme and song. The fire section represents anger. The water section represents sadness. The dark section represents fear. Whatever you feel works best. Maybe the boss could be the head statue boss seen in Oracle of Ages' Wing Dungeon which had four faces representing various emotions.

This actually gives me ideas. The first one especially. I've seen this somewhat done in other quests by doing things like switching night to day or past to present. The red and blue sort og makes me think of The Sword and Shield Maze as well. Which is my favorite dungeon in the series.

Something else I think is interesting is considering unconventional venues. If you can't think of any consider what inspires you as a person. For inatance, every one of the dungeons I am going to make is based on the gods of Greek Mythology. The Inn idea is based on the concept of Aphrodite. Which also opens up my mind to new puzzle ideas.

Not saying I'm expert but looking to things you like can help expand your mindset and give you new, creative ideas.

On a related note, here's some ideas:

Greenhouse/Brewery:
This is the idea I came up with for my Dionysus based dungeon. This being based on Dionysus also gave me more ideas on puzzles which would be based on things like vegetation, and combining. This is a thing where I am considering using the item combination script to put together a sort of "brew" by collecting items throughout the dungeon that acts as a way to actually exit the dungeon.

An entire town that acts as a dungeon:
As long as you can actually set up the town to act as a dungeon (and be a level if that is your intention, why not? Anything can be a dungeon. It all depends on execution.

Something else I personally keep in mind with everything I make is the handicapped. For instance, if I were to make a sound based puzzle, I would include some sort of hint specifically for the hearing impaired. Or if I had a puzzle based on sound, I'd have something for the blind/color blind. I probably won't make any puzzles based on anything like that anyways, but it's something I think could be kept in mind.
  • Shane likes this

#105 Darkmatt

Darkmatt

Pastel Heart

• Members

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:49 PM

Hypercube:

Your dungeon has no borders, but multiple floors. For each floor, if you move through the eastern edge of your dungeon map you come out of the west, and vice versa. Destroy players' sense of dungeoneering with this simple trick! Architects hate it!

Edited by Darkmatt, 23 February 2016 - 03:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users