Making a script to give you points

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:00 AM

I am interested in making a script that gives you point when you touch a step next combo. is it possible?

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:11 AM

I am interested in making a script that gives you point when you touch a step next combo. is it possible?

Is this for 2.53 or 2.55? It's helpful to include this info in script requests since some things are easier to do in 2.55.

Edit: Also by the sound of things, it's possible you could use an existing script to accomplish the same goal. My Group Item Spawner can spawn items at combo locations in mass, which can then be told to increment a counter used for points in their pickup data. Depending on what you need the script for, this may be easier for your purposes.

Edited by Moosh, 13 May 2021 - 09:14 AM.

#3 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:25 AM

It is for 2.53.1 latest release beta. I will try the Group Item Spawner. I am also sort of interested in making a small number appear representative of how much points you just earned for picking the item up. Is that hard to do?

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:34 AM

That's a little bit trickier. 2.53 only lets item scripts run for a single frame, so it'd either have to be a pickup script running a script off an FFC or a global script of some sort. It depends on the systems of your quest which is better. FFCs are a limited resource with only 32 usable at a time, so having 5 or so of them in temporary use just to show numbers on the screen as Link picks up a series of tightly packed items could be considered wasteful. Global scripts are a bit harder to work with and need a way of determining how many points were collected, either an item script communicating or reading a change in the points counter directly. What exactly do points in your quest do functionally and how are they obtained? Can they be spent or increased without collecting items? 

#5 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:40 AM

Well on the one hand there are coins which would give you a life if you collect 50. They go up in increments of 1. then there are fruits which you just collect for novelty that give points. Maybe for killing enemies you would get points too. I want it to be similar to mario how you can get a hi-score. if possible id limit cheesing but i guess thats up to me.

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:49 AM

Seems like for the moment the points system is one of the less essential features of your quest. Having the implementation for obtaining them is a good idea, but the player doesn't immediately need to know how many they're getting while playing. One thing to be on the lookout for is the max counter value. It's pretty low at only 65535. ZScript's max variable isn't that much better, only 214748.3648. So getting higher points values like those in Mario are, not impossible, but somewhat of a hassle. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users