Photo

Game-play style preference

Gameplay Style poll

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Preferred gameplay style

what's your favorite gameplay style?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Linkrulehyrule21

Linkrulehyrule21

Masterlink

• Members

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:02 PM

I'm about to start making a new quest and am wondering what type of play style is most prevalent and what most people would like to see in a new quest. 

• Lightwulf and SkyLizardGirl like this

#2 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:56 PM

I tend to prefer dungeon crawling cause dungeons are fun.

However, I also love exploration focused gameplay.

I chose dungeon crawling which I think is a good type for a first quest.

But I'd also say make what you like and what you're comfortable with.
  • Lightwulf likes this

#3 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:49 PM

I don't really see dungeon crawling and overworld exploration as opposites. They're both equally explorable, if designed that way.

And that's the way I prefer.

The only thing I dislike in either instance is disproportionate hangups. Convoluted puzzles or complicated fights that arrive out of the established difficulty progression and leave you to retry and retry and retry are the worst show-stoppers you can make.

I consistently come across situations in quests where I pass through, say, 20 screens of a dungeon in 5 minutes, then suddenly there's a puzzle that takes 20 minutes to solve just to pass 1 more screen. Do the progression math on that one: 20 screens in 5 minutes, 1 screen in 20 minutes. It's stupid.

Or there's some overblown 5-stage scripted boss that appears after an entire level of standard Z1 enemies. Same math, same result.

Basically, just don't kill the player's momentum with a misplaced show-stopper, because momentum is generally linked to enjoyment, and killing one kills the other.

There's quests dedicated to complex puzzles and challenge fights, and they're best kept to their own categories. Just be clear on what your quest is from the start, then you'll get appropriate feedback from your intended audience.
  • Lightwulf and Aquamentus (Facing Right) like this

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:23 AM

I'm about to start making a new quest and am wondering what type of play style is most prevalent and what most people would like to see in a new quest. 

I tend to enjoy quests with rich story and plot.

• Lightwulf and SkyLizardGirl like this

#5 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:38 PM

Does it really matter what other people want to see in your quest?  Make the game that you love to play and don't listen to anyone else.  You'll find that that keeps you focussed and motivated to complete your quest better than anything else.  If you try to accommodate for everyone else you'll lose motivation and  most likely end up cancelling the quest.  No doubt you'll have your critics and perhaps a small or possibly zero audience but at least you'll have your dream quest and that's worth it in my view.

As an aside, accommodating for what other people want if its radically different to your playstyle has never been achieved in all of ZC history - even by some of the most famous quest makers.  I wouldn't recommend it.

• Matthew, Architect Abdiel and Emily like this

#6 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 02 July 2019 - 06:05 AM

Does it really matter what other people want to see in your quest?  Make the game that you love to play and don't listen to anyone else.  You'll find that that keeps you focussed and motivated to complete your quest better than anything else.  If you try to accommodate for everyone else you'll lose motivation and  most likely end up cancelling the quest.  No doubt you'll have your critics and perhaps a small or possibly zero audience but at least you'll have your dream quest and that's worth it in my view.

As an aside, accommodating for what other people want if its radically different to your playstyle has never been achieved in all of ZC history - even by some of the most famous quest makers.  I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't disagree, although it should be stated that people can be open to suggestions without actually having to implement them, if they think the suggestions would go against their vision.

• James24, Shane, Evan20000 and 1 other like this

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 02 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

It all depends on your goal.

Are you making a quest to appeal to the majority of the userbase?

Are you making a quest for its own sake, and for your satisfaction?

Are you looking for some precarious balance betwixt the two?

#8 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:55 AM

TopBlueHat - Agreed, that's what I meant but it just sounded very convoluted when I wrote it and so I decided to keep it short and simple.  I have listened to others when their vision and mine coincided.  What occurs far, far more often is that the fanbase's vision and my vision don't coincide and that's why I said don't listen to anyone.

Zoria - It is possible to fulfil the first two goals if what the majority of the fanbase likes and what you like coincide perfectly.  Good example of this is DarkFlameWolf her vision and the fanbase's were one and the same.  But what happens if the fanbase's vision of "good Zelda" differs radically from your own?  In that case, I don't think there's any other option but to go for number 2.  If you try option number 1 or option number 3, there's a whole graveyard of failures I can point to.  Suffice it to say pulling off option number 3 has never been achieved in all of ZC history.

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 06 July 2019 - 07:34 AM

TopBlueHat - Agreed, that's what I meant but it just sounded very convoluted when I wrote it and so I decided to keep it short and simple.  I have listened to others when their vision and mine coincided.  What occurs far, far more often is that the fanbase's vision and my vision don't coincide and that's why I said don't listen to anyone.

Zoria - It is possible to fulfil the first two goals if what the majority of the fanbase likes and what you like coincide perfectly.  Good example of this is DarkFlameWolf her vision and the fanbase's were one and the same.  But what happens if the fanbase's vision of "good Zelda" differs radically from your own?  In that case, I don't think there's any other option but to go for number 2.  If you try option number 1 or option number 3, there's a whole graveyard of failures I can point to.  Suffice it to say pulling off option number 3 has never been achieved in all of ZC history.

Oh, aye, absolutely. It doesn't stop me from trying. I think that there are a couple of quests that balance frack your mind difficulty and good story, but they're rare indeed. 

TBH, I care less about making a great 'Zelda' game, than I care about making a great/unusual/unique overall gameplay experience, and that puts me into slot 2, but it doesn't stop me from enticing players with some sort of balance.

I tend to set meself up with projects that challenge me, which is why I proceed at the pace of a slug.

• Shane and coolgamer012345 like this

#10 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:46 PM

That's what they all say Zoria.  Ask DarkFlameWolf about her extreme quests or Evan about his cheap nerfs for IoR and Umbral Cloud or James24 about the gold ring cheat in LoH.  Ask them how it went down with those who they were intending to cater the game for. 

Saying that you can make your dream quest and then put in a few tweaks to make it nice for everyone else is superficially appealing, very tempting, popular and politically correct but it doesn't work in practice.  20 years of quest making experience should have taught everyone that.  Its best to accept reality and not fight it.  Very often the price of making your dream quest will be abandoning an audience whose vision doesn't match your own.  Such a price must be paid otherwise you won't be motivated enough to complete your quest.  That's the reality.

#11 Zaxarone

Zaxarone

Gigi & Merri Superstar Saga

• Members

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:18 AM

Honestly people make whatever you want. It can be hot garbage but if your proud of it, don't listen to the people say its bad or "politically incorrect." pandering to an audience that forces you to change content based on what they think your audience wants will drag you down as a content creator. do what is fun, and if people hate, let them hate.

Edited by Zaxarone, 07 July 2019 - 12:19 AM.

• James24, Shane and SkyLizardGirl like this

#12 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:28 PM

Well said Zaxarone - I couldn't agree more.

#13 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Polm The Fathomless (Slime)

• Members

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:04 AM

I think...if you hope a lot of 4 or 5 stars ratings on database, should make for general players. If you hope to make as you hope, shouldn't worry about ratings on database, or put quest file on a different place like CastChaos.

Edited by Stray Sheep, 09 July 2019 - 08:37 AM.

#14 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:20 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a case where a quest developer was seriously influenced by ratings.  No one truly listens to them deep down and no one really cares.  Bottom line is that if you need to spend substantial time, effort and skill deviating from your dream quest to accomodate for those people who would rate your quest lowly then its just not worth it.  All that time and effort is more or less wasted creating something that you don't really like at the end of the day.  I just can't see it happening - accommodation can only be done if it takes a short amount of time.

Now, if I got paid $50 every time someone gave me 4 or 5 stars and there were a lot of people out there - that would be different.  I could afford to make time to accommodate for those who were paying just like Nintendo and all other commercial game developers do.

• Lightwulf likes this

#15 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Polm The Fathomless (Slime)

• Members

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:34 AM

I must say again I never deny quest makers make quest as they hope, and general quest makers don't make quest too hard for general players.

However, challenging quest makers like James24 should admit some players give a bad rating or critical comment for their challenging quests if they submitted them for database.

For instance, Zaxarone gave a 0 stars rating for The Liberation of Hyrule a few days ago, I think he shouldn't play LoH before beat original AQ though.

Edited by Stray Sheep, 10 July 2019 - 09:35 AM.

• Lightwulf likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gameplay, Style, poll

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users