Virtual Console 3DS

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

I've been playing Pokemon Crystal and Pokemon Prism on my 3DS for so long, I forgot Nintendo hadn't released it officially yet...  Gotta love softmodded 3ds's.  I have it installed as a VC injection, rather than a retroarch title.  Doing it this way keeps the system clock function.  There's also a patch that allows for trading between 3ds's, as well as a homebrew Pokebank that works for Gen1/2.

I downloaded Yellow, and Crystal too, but sadly, I just haven't touched them so much. I dunno why, when I was a kid, you couldn't take the Game Boy out of my hand for five minutes, but I just can't get into these games these days. :/ There not bad, I just dunno what my deal is :P

#17 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

I am rather excited to be able to enjoy playing the original Silver on my 3DS. It was the first Pokemon game that I personally bought. I remember going all over town trying to find a place to cash my check, and finally a gas station did. They gave me my money, and I went straight to the store to buy what would be my favorite game of the series. So looking forward to journeying through Johto once again! 

#18 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

I won't lie. I'm pretty pumped for these games. It's been awhile since I've played through Johto, and Silver was a huge part of my childhood. Though, I'm actually considering getting Gold this time around, as it's the only second generation game I haven't played. I already had the opportunity to relive Silver through the HG/SS release in 2010, so who knows. I'm sure I'll wind up getting both of them eventually. Because I'm a sucker. :doh:

Man, Pokemon Silver. Hard to believe it was almost 17 years ago when I got it for my 11th birthday, Yellow and a brand new Gameboy Color to play them on. I won't be getting the VC version (don't own a Wii U / Switch), but I still have my ways. 

The VC version is being released for the 3DS, not the Wii U or Switch. Just wanted to clarify for you!

Edited by Adem, 13 September 2017 - 09:37 AM.

#19 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

I won't lie. I'm pretty pumped for these games. It's been awhile since I've played through Johto, and Silver was a huge part of my childhood. Though, I'm actually considering getting Gold this time around, as it's the only second generation game I haven't played. I already had the opportunity to relive Silver through the HG/SS release in 2010, so who knows. I'm sure I'll wind up getting both of them eventually. Because I'm a sucker. :doh:

The VC version is being released for the 3DS, not the Wii U or Switch. Just wanted to clarify for you!

Oh well, I don't have that either, so other than something I got years ago will have to do.

#20 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

Well, the games were released on VC this past Friday!

I haven't had a huge amount of time to play it, but I forgot how fleeting the Johto portion of the games are. I've only played for a few hours, but I'm already ready to face Morty in Ecruteak City! I decided to go starterless this time around. My team is as follows:

Belle (Gloom) - Lvl. 22

Destroyer (Quagsire) - Level 21

Sally (Furret) - Level 20

Midnight (Eevee) - Level 20

Potter (Hoothoot) - Level 13

Spinny (Spinarak) - Level 11

I know, I know. "Midnight" is basically the most cliché name for an Umbreon ever, second only maybe to "Shadow".  :aggravated: But everything else I came up with sounded too fake deep, and I didn't want to ruin the irony of naming something as derpy as a Quagsire something like "Destoryer". 

#21 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:18 PM

Thanks! I totally forgot this was happening now  :doh:

EDIT: Midnight's a fair name, in Colosseum I named my Umbreon "Jet", because he's jet-black and aerodynamic.

Edited by Cukeman, 27 September 2017 - 08:21 PM.

• Anthus and Jared like this

#22 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:08 PM

I was always that unoriginal kid who would not nickname any Pokemon outside of my starter. I always got a big kick out of naming my rival though. Oh man, he will forever be "ASSHOLE" to me.

edit: When I was playing Moon, I broke this tradition, and named a Slowpoke, "Holly" after one of our cats. The resemblance is uncanny.

• Cukeman likes this

#23 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:47 PM

Just bought it, looking forward to exploring Johto for the first time.

On another note thought I'd complain about Pokemon Bank again, I don't mind paying for the service at all, just want to be able to store the creatures on my system, not online. That's a scam. If you want my money I'll gladly spend it for a the Poke Transporter service as I'll keep using that.

#24 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

Just bought it, looking forward to exploring Johto for the first time.

On another note thought I'd complain about Pokemon Bank again, I don't mind paying for the service at all, just want to be able to store the creatures on my system, not online. That's a scam. If you want my money I'll gladly spend it for a the Poke Transporter service as I'll keep using that.

You never played gen 2? You're in for a treat, imo, it's the best, still. It's certainly the longest in terms of gyms and towns to visit. If you can, I'd recommend playing the DS remakes. Same awesome game with some modern amenities.
  • Adem and Cukeman like this

#25 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

I did like the Fire Red remake on GBA, but I think I'd prefer the retro GBC sprites over the DS-style faux-3D look.

My Pokemon history:

Edited by Cukeman, 30 September 2017 - 10:39 AM.

#26 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:39 PM

Based on the limited color I'm guessing this was backwards compatible with Game Boy? I thought features like the real time clock required the GBC though

• Rambly likes this

#27 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:09 AM

I kinda want to replay G/S/, but I remembered if I wanted to raise a team of 6, I'd be obligated to name my mons:

WTF,
IS UP

WITH

JOHTO'S

LEVEL
CURVE

in honor of the amount of time I'd be grinding to keep all 6 of them up to par.

• Rambly, Adem, Orithan and 1 other like this

#28 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:31 AM

Based on the limited color I'm guessing this was backwards compatible with Game Boy? I thought features like the real time clock required the GBC though

Yeah, Gold/Silver were dual compatibility carts.  Same as all the other black carts, only they weren't black.  The real time clock just uses the battery, which I think is the same battery as a standard Game Boy cart?  I'd guess that's why the batteries for Gold/Silver ran out more quickly. (I knew people who lost their saves after like 4 years, which is an absurdly short lifetime for a battery-backed save) Later Pokémon games used both a battery and flash memory, which I think was a feature exclusive to the GBA.  That's why if your battery runs out on Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, you can still save.

Anyway, I replayed gen 2 recently (just before these were announced) and I have a lot of opinions that I need to yell because it frustrated me a lot:

bunch of complaining

My team was:
Typhlosion
Quagsire
Ampharos
Lugia
Heracross
Crobat

I forgot their levels but they were all like 60 or something.  I couldn't use Steelix even tho I wanted to cuz I had nobody to trade with cuz I was playing a physical copy at the time.  Also I don't do nicknames cuz I'm uncreative. ;_;

Edited by Rambly, 30 September 2017 - 08:33 AM.

• Anthus, Adem, Cukeman and 1 other like this

#29 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:38 AM

I applaud Satoru Iwata for being able to put Johto and Kanto in the same Gameboy cart, but that only hurt Johto in the long run. Johto just feels too small and cramped and it's a shame because i actually like certain areas of the region. I think if it didn't had Kanto crammed with it, it could have been a really great region.

And don't mention the level curve, it's terrible. I tried replaying it a couple of years ago and it's one of the times i wished it had the Gen 6/7 Exp. share, so that i could at least speed up the leveling process. Kanto is also a barren wasteland with barely anything to do, which is why it baffles me when some people say Gen 2 has the best postgame in the series.

Edited by Norzan, 30 September 2017 - 10:38 AM.

• Rambly likes this

#30 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

I read up on how to get Celebi, I bought Silver during the time-window, but they also want you to buy one of the Ultra games too, which I don't plan on getting. What a load of garbage. I would like to see the GBA Pokemon games on 3DS VC though, nice to see them virtually connecting the generations when they couldn't do that from GBC to GBA

EDIT: I guess you technically can go from GBA to DS to 3DS but still, I don't want to find all the carts and go through the transfer process using multiple handheld systems

Edited by Cukeman, 30 September 2017 - 04:55 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Virtual Console, 3DS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users