This time instead of a specific system to show off, like the last few updates, I wanted to show off a combination of the new systems that we've been working on with a teaser of a new map, too. So... here you go.
A summary of new stuff in the video:
- New character selection! Thanks to some great tiles by Ether, we now have a choice between your classic not-so-unnamed Hero from the GBC games, or the Heroine. (Huh? A password? What's that...?)
- The map script is always getting new graphics as we map more, and it's a big map indeed.
- We've talked a lot about potions, but Maple is fully set up and integrated with a slowly expanding shop. Look at her go!
- The Western Woods are fully mapped now, and have all new enemies and gameplay mechanics. Exploring in the open is one thing, but in the woods you really have to keep an eye out for hidden critters... and the enemies are a step up from the pushovers in Outset Hills, too. Even I struggle a little with 3 hearts here!
- The scripted Power Bracelet is also complete - but finding it is left as an exercise to the reader. Different combos can have different effects, so it can really be useful to have while traversing the map.
- The map system is fully integrated with warping from campfires, of course.
- Fire now spreads between burnable combos - and it's pretty devastating on certain screens, so keep an eye out for opportunities to use it.