Photo

Screenshot of the Week 484

Dwarlen Zahalfor Evan20000 Twilight-Prince

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 484 (77 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 PalPaok

PalPaok

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

these pictures of what Quest is????

#17 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

I don't know why, but I'm actually fine with the colours in Zahalfor's shot. There was something wrong with it, though, but I can't tell what it is. The colours work, in my opinion.

I, as most did, voted for Dwarlen.

• Astromeow likes this

#18 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

I voted for twilight as the screen is so warm and filled yet open flow. Calming theme with the friends visiting.

I love the colors and concepts of all other shots and that's no lie.

• Twilight-Prince likes this

#19 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:23 AM

I don't know why, but I'm actually fine with the colours in Zahalfor's shot. There was something wrong with it, though, but I can't tell what it is. The colours work, in my opinion.

Because they don't use environment Csets, they use Csets developed for NPCs and items. ;)

• Jenny likes this

#20 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

Voted for Dwarlen this week for having some really interesting stuff. I really like the darkness of the shot and gives a sense of curiosity as I really want to know what's down in that cave. Great job!

#21 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

I voted for Zahalfor's shot. Some have said that the colors are very bright, and that's something that should probably be looked into. But my monitor tends to display colors more subdued, so it looks great to me, and I love the framing of the shot and the imagination that went into the location. Good job!

Also, just a quick reminder to please remain respectful when criticizing. Giving strong criticism is fine, but please don't insult the artists or their work.

• Orithan and HavoX like this

#22 Zahalfor

Zahalfor

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! When I drew that screen and some others I was creating a place that would look quite different from everything else, hence the somewhat 'odd' colors. I wouldn't want to kill anyone's eyes though, so I will try to experiment with some different colors/csets/palettes and see if I can save my 'different' idea without hurting anyone's eyes haha. Is there a seperate thread I might submit a revised edition of the screen or could I enter a revised version again into the Screenshot of the Week?

I'm not voting, but would like to say how I feel about the other screens, so:

Dwarlen's is awesome... makes me want to write a story to go with it :)

I like Evan's boss, looks really cool, my artist's eye has a personal problem with the basic zelda classic tile set though :D

I like Twilight's shot, I think it's very pretty and relaxing and I would love to eavesdrop on the friends' converstion :)

Thank you all three for sharing those pictures :)

• Eddy, Twilight-Prince, Lightwulf and 1 other like this

#23 Teamudf

Teamudf

24/7

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

Evan: I am severely disappointed in your serious entry. Trinexx takes up way too much of the screen, and that open patch of land makes this completely unplayable. There should be more lava, or at least a bridge or something so Link has less space to move. I also consider myself a bit of a colors expert, having talked to my undergraduate art student friend for ten minutes, and I can safely say that your combination of lava and mountains makes my eyes bleed more than World War II. 8.5/10

Twilight-Prince: Way too many open corners. If you had more open corners you'd be a pentagon. Also the multi-colored bushes of the same type aren't really realistic. There's no way I would ever see those or open corners in real life. The house really stands out and draws attention to itself and I don't feel like it should do that. Not everybody can be an expert on rural environments like me, a mathematics major, but I'm probably maybe sure you might've been able to possibly do better. 7.8/10

I voted for Eppy.

• The Satellite, Russ, Twilight-Prince and 3 others like this

#24 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

Evan: I am severely disappointed in your serious entry. Trinexx takes up way too much of the screen, and that open patch of land makes this completely unplayable. There should be more lava, or at least a bridge or something so Link has less space to move. I also consider myself a bit of a colors expert, having talked to my undergraduate art student friend for ten minutes, and I can safely say that your combination of lava and mountains makes my eyes bleed more than World War II. 8.5/10

Seriously, a satire review? I never said there was too much space on the screen, I simply said there was just this completely blank area off to the right, with no real reason for being there. If Trinexx were in the middle, it'd actually make sense, but no, he's just awkwardly in the top left of the screen for no real reason other than to be there.

While I respect your opinion, you shouldn't bastardize other people's opinions after Aevin already reminded everyone that insulting somebody's work isn't a good thing. You're just making the situation worse by stating this.  :shrug:

• Shane, Jenny, Jared and 2 others like this

#25 Teamudf

Teamudf

24/7

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:56 PM

Seriously, a satire review?

No, actually. But that horse sure does look high.

• HavoX likes this

#26 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:09 PM

I guess since I posted my opinions with little to no elaboration, I might just go ahead and do it now that I'm not busy. 

Zahalfor has a very nice shot. The concept is nice, the execution... is not. :( The colours (please don't use sprite Csets (0-1 to 5-11)), and some tile usage make lose all its potential. I'm not really getting a feeling that this is a garden neither. I would personally suggest less dirt and stone, and more grass and flora. But, the shot has a nice set up nonetheless. :)

Dwarlen's is the best this week. I'm loving the atmosphere and structure. The palette is a little dull, and the two ladders side-by-side looks a bit strange, but again, this doesn't mean it's a bad shot, because like I said, it's the best this week in my opinion. :D

Evan20000 has a nice boss. From what I've seen in the video, it's perhaps one of the best bosses ever done in Zelda Classic. :) But as for a screen in a screenshot contest... I'm just not really feeling it. It's functional but aesthetics are lacking, if not, non existent. The repetitive ground details could be more varied, it doesn't have to lose walk-ability space, it just has to lose that sense of emptiness and blandness. :P

Twilight-Prince's is nice. It reminds me of my first time using DoR, for some odd reason. It gives me nostalgia. The white grass strikes me as odd, and while I admire "fruitcake" overworlds (as in, colourful overworlds), I was never fond of gray. It looks a little too open, but it gets its job done either way. :)

Edit: THERE we are. I don't know what happened, my internet did a thing, apologies for that.

Edited by Shane, 02 December 2014 - 11:13 PM.

• Eddy, Jenny, Twilight-Prince and 2 others like this

#27 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:14 PM

I'm just not really feeling it.

KEhJIw7.jpg

• Moonbread, sigtau, Shane and 7 others like this

#28 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:01 AM

Sorry if I offended anyone with part of my comment.

#29 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:08 AM

Twilight-Prince: Way too many open corners. If you had more open corners you'd be a pentagon. Also the multi-colored bushes of the same type aren't really realistic. There's no way I would ever see those or open corners in real life. The house really stands out and draws attention to itself and I don't feel like it should do that. Not everybody can be an expert on rural environments like me, a mathematics major, but I'm probably maybe sure you might've been able to possibly do better. 7.8/10

I voted for Eppy.

Team, you saucy devil, you!

Fair criticism is fair criticism. I have to admit, I'm not against Nexas speaking his humble opinion.

If you don't like the heat, stay out of the fire! Hehehehehehe!!!

All jokes aside though, there's a reason Evan's image is not getting the votes. :P It's simply not a winner in my books. Everybody just needs to....

Should I say it?...

Nah...

Chill out!

YES!!!

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 03 December 2014 - 01:09 AM.

• Shane, Jenny, Haylee and 1 other like this

#30 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:12 AM

(I can keep going with these video game references)

• Russ and Evan20000 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dwarlen, Zahalfor, Evan20000, Twilight-Prince

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users