Uber drivers?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

So, I'm doing OrderUp, and DoorDash now. Don't have to deal with actual humans as much

How's that, product delivery?

#17 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

How's that, product delivery?

Yeah, basically. It's mostly food. There's other ones like PostMates, and MyAlfred which are more general delivery services. Store runs, restaurants, pharmacy stuff, things like that. There's even one called Eaze or something in CA where you can deliver weed to people.

#18 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

Huh. Yeah you know, now that you mention it, I probably could do a thing like that. Are they offering you decent pay?

And if it's food then I guess you have to meet the client to deliver it right? So, more like the pizza delivery guy than the postal delivery guy.

• Anthus likes this

#19 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:32 AM

Huh. Yeah you know, now that you mention it, I probably could do a thing like that. Are they offering you decent pay?

And if it's food then I guess you have to meet the client to deliver it right? So, more like the pizza delivery guy than the postal delivery guy.

Meeting a person to drop off food is better than letting random strangers into your car so you can drive them to a location that isn't known until you actually pick them up. That's how I looks at it anyway :P.

As far as pay, is really just depends. Like any job of this nature it depends where you live, how many other drivers there are, and if there is a demand for it. DoorDash, for example, says you can make "15$-20$/hr" here, but that's implying you are always stacked with deliveries, which you won't be. There can be a lot of downtime, and this, again, can vary based on the above mentioned factors. There's also wear and tear, and gas for your car, but, these things can be written off as work expenses since you are technically considered a "Contractor". This also means, you won't do W2/W4s for taxes, but instead a 1099 form. You must keep track of all of your earnings, gas, mileage, etc. so it really does kind of ending up being, well, like a real job :P. I've learned a lot by doing this stuff though. There's apps, and forums there to help people in the ride share industry, so it isn't always daunting. The biggest pitfall is people neglecting to keep track of their own mileage, and gas as this can make or break your ability to make money in this type of job, and get you into trouble if you make over 600$ and get audited for some reason.

But, I'm no expert by any means, this is just my two cents.

EDIT: Since you live in Chicago which is huge, you could also see if there is an Amazon warehouse there. They are frequently hiring drivers to hand deliver packages to Amazon Prime subscribers. They are full here in Columbus, but I've heard good things about it, mostly (granted, you'll always have those who complain about it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users