Photo

Leave life or money quit functioning, what did I do?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Well Done

Well Done

Initiate

• Members

Posted 20 December 2021 - 03:54 PM

Okay, so, I made this sword dungeon to hide the modified magical sword and to block early entry I made a Fairy Leave Life Or Money (-999) at the entrance.  This worked precisely as intended but then everything went awry when I tried to lay the sword at the end of the dungeon.  First, I changed the magical sword pick up strength to 13 hearts and lain it on the last room floor.  But, no matter what Link always picked it up with 9 hearts.  I started a new game and double checked, same thing with 3 hearts.  Now, the white sword functioned fine and I couldn't pick it up without reaching the pick-up requirement.

I figured, well, then I should make a Special Item Guy like with the white sword and maybe Link won't pick it up before he has enough hearts.  So I put the special item guy in the last room and gave him my modified magical sword.  He appeared as intended and said his string but when I tried to walk in the room Link immediately descended as though going down stairs, stairs that weren't there at all.  He went into the dungeon item room but floors didn't matter, he could walk through the walls and didn't need to climb the ladders.  Still, he could pick up the sword with 3 hearts.  Exiting the accidental dungeon item cellar sent Link back in the doorway, new sword in hand and the special item guy going through the motions again, offering the sword Link just got.  Any attempt to move into the room again or back out the other way will send Link down the invisible stairs into the item cellar once again with yet another magical sword ready to grab.  Needless to say, stuck in the loop, I reset the game and went back on the mapmaker to see what was going on.

I removed the special item guy and put the sword back on the ground like I made it initially and then saved the map and went back to re-test the dungeon.  Now, since all that happened, the Leave Life or Money Fairy no longer does anything as you can see in this screenie.  Also, there is a heart container now in the item select screen and not only can Link still pick up the 13 heart sword with only 4 hearts, his wooden sword can now kill enemies as strong as Red Goriyas with one slice.  Either something got corrupted in the game maker or I accidentally changed something and didn't notice.  Anyone got some ideas?   I'd hate to have to download another mapmaker and remake the quest all over again.  I'm almost halfway done!

2mxP89a.png (572×860) (imgur.com)

2mxP89a.png

Additionally, placing any new leave life or money guys anywhere else doesn't work.  The Guy will stand there without saying his string.  So the money life combo is completely disabled now and I don't have any idea why.

Edited by Well Done, 20 December 2021 - 03:54 PM.

#2 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 December 2021 - 01:35 AM

The "Fairy" guy is special, and meant for fairy ponds only; I don't believe it says strings.

As for the heart requirement, do you have the Quest Rule "'Hearts Required' affects non-special items" checked? If not, it would only apply to items placed in Special Item rooms.

#3 Well Done

Well Done

Initiate

• Members

Posted 22 December 2021 - 05:30 PM

The "Fairy" guy is special, and meant for fairy ponds only; I don't believe it says strings.

As for the heart requirement, do you have the Quest Rule "'Hearts Required' affects non-special items" checked? If not, it would only apply to items placed in Special Item rooms.

Well, actually, it worked with using a Fairy, in fact, I tested it almost a dozen times through paying with a heart while I built this mini-sword-dungeon, but then once I tried placing an item Guy in the last room that was when you get what you see in my screenie, only a Fairy and no heart or life.  And, now I can't even make a Life or Money Guy anywhere at all, so I am guessing that the editor got corrupted through some anomalous flag chain or something and couldn't resolve.  Probably a code thing and since I don't know about any of that I will just need to remake my quest on a new editor and carefully toggle between mirrors and turn off auto-save so that if another error like this occurs I don't corrupt my game again.

Also, Level-1 item cellar also quit functioning upon playtesting it a second time.  Everything was working fine with Level-1 when I playtested it and now when I returned to play it a second time Link started appearing at the bottom of the item cellar where a south door should be on a normal room screen and the item isn't there.  I also attribute this to the Life or Money / Special Item Guy error.  Something got screwed up with the Guys somehow.

Edited by Well Done, 22 December 2021 - 05:33 PM.

#4 Well Done

Well Done

Initiate

• Members

Posted 02 January 2022 - 03:38 AM

My quest was corrupted (following almost 70 hours of time spent building it) and so, I tried Alpha, didn't like the new mix of Zelda 1&3 graphics and movement.  I went back and re-downloaded a new Beta 253/255, duplicated it and saved multiple copies in multiple flash drives and folders.  I am almost back to where I was before the corruption, spending another 30 hours on this game.  I am getting well at using the application but still dont know all that I want.  I keep myself on a strict saving and developing procedure so as to prevent corruption walls or saving mistakes and now if I screw up or the game screws up I can always backtrack a few steps and try something else.  Let this be a warning to you if you're new at this sort of thing like me, duplicate and stack your saves and mirror everything that way if something blows up you aren't stuck with a single copy of a corrupt file that cant be backtracked.

Having fun with this, can't wait to finish this game and share it.  Also, will be playing the extra quests from purezc.net users.  Lots to get on with here for Zelda 1 fans.  

#5 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 02 January 2022 - 06:12 AM

The basically movement Z1+3 crossover (diagonal walk, swimming etc) is an optional thing in 2.55 and also in earlier versions (2.53 and before).
...you can enable/disable it in the Link Sprite Attributes, in ZQ.
And if you don't want Link to swim, drown or fall, just don't use walkable water or pitfall combos, in your quest.

But well, no matter :)
Most important is that everything is working and you're gonna have fun.
I hope you won't run into new problems and issues and you can simply continue building now

Edited by Bagu, 02 January 2022 - 06:36 AM.

#6 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 January 2022 - 08:23 AM

My quest was corrupted (following almost 70 hours of time spent building it) and so, I tried Alpha, didn't like the new mix of Zelda 1&3 graphics and movement.  I went back and re-downloaded a new Beta 253/255, duplicated it and saved multiple copies in multiple flash drives and folders.  I am almost back to where I was before the corruption, spending another 30 hours on this game.  I am getting well at using the application but still dont know all that I want.  I keep myself on a strict saving and developing procedure so as to prevent corruption walls or saving mistakes and now if I screw up or the game screws up I can always backtrack a few steps and try something else.  Let this be a warning to you if you're new at this sort of thing like me, duplicate and stack your saves and mirror everything that way if something blows up you aren't stuck with a single copy of a corrupt file that cant be backtracked.

Having fun with this, can't wait to finish this game and share it.  Also, will be playing the extra quests from purezc.net users.  Lots to get on with here for Zelda 1 fans.  

Backups are always good! Any idea what caused the corruption?

• Bagu likes this

#7 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 02 January 2022 - 09:02 AM

Backups are always good!

DEFINITLY!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users