Photo

HowHigh.qst -- 7/2014 update

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#1 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

FILE FIXED, UPDATED 7/2014

HowHigh features:
>40 items
>10 dungeons
>200 overworld screens
~15 exclusive MIDI songs by Wolfo

this quest should be considered to be rated PG-13.
little kids, make sure your adult guardians view and read this page before you do.
zelda014.jpg
while 2.5s may work well enough to get you through the game IN ORDER TO COMPLETE ALL OF THE MAIN OBJECTIVES OF THIS QUEST, YOU PROBABLY NEED TO PLAY IT USING ZELDA CLASSIC 1.90! a few of the other versions make the hardest enemies at least twice as hard (and nearly impossible to beat) and most of the other versions make some of the objectives impossible to complete and can get you stuck in ways that may require you to play again from the start or previous saves in order to advance, so don't use builds other than 1.90 unless your computer can't run it. 2.1s will definitely not work. 2.5 will probably give you troubles with staircases that may ruin previously unsaved progress. Zelda Classic 1.90 is a DOS program, so your computer needs to be able to run DOS games to use 1.90. after you have chosen a file/character name, pressing "alt" twice brings up a navigation menu window that allows you to browse in order to choose which quest file to load into the game program. I suggest using a controller and not the keyboard. I also suggest you set the controller up when the popup menu first allows you to. if you downloaded a copy of the quest before July 6th, 2014, get the updated version linked below.*

this is the most recent version: HowHigh.qst
this is the program you will need to run it: ZeldaClassic1.90

if you cannot run Zelda Classic 1.90, try: ZeldaClassic1.92b184
knowing that the quest definitely won't run correctly, you might try more current versions of Zelda Classic.

here's the PureZC database page: HowHigh@PureZC
please go to the database page and post a review, if you played a good bit into this quest. I'm very appreciative of the reviews and good ratings! if you can record video of your playing of this quest in 1.90, it'd be awesome if you did such a thing.

*the game is free. I don't profit from it and, by downloading, you agree not to, either. some of the tiles were taken from other games, but most have been uniquely modified. any perceived trademark is parodied or unintentional. if you have a problem with the game, don't download it and/or delete it from your computer. any possible adverse effects to your computer (and the systems networked with it) that may be the result of downloading and executing the file are your risks that are to be remedied at nobody's expense beyond your own.

Wolfo made the euphonious soundtrack that is finally featured in the newest update. if you hear or see something that isn't quite right, please let me know about it. I'm not shy about resubmitting to the database with your fix help implemented. if you have ideas to improve the quest, please don't be shy.
Spoiler

feedback has been key in the decade-long (and counting) development of the game. while I still do not consider this thing to be totally finished (expect at least one more update for better cross-version compatibility), previous versions earned the quoted words that follow from players.

v: “this quest is awesome....very funny....full of wonderful colors and original ideas....full of greats surprises....beautiful"

f: “this is a strange quest....a really interesting quest....it's pretty addictive. it's also pretty hard....requires one to think outside the box a bit, and that's a good thing....very creatively done....darn good”

s: “incredibly clever....took a bit of thinking and skill to complete, and while it was difficult, it was never impossible”

t: “one of the best quests I've played in a while....great overworld design....coupled with fantastic gameplay”

p: "one of my favorite quests....stretched the limits....maintained the difficulty....having fun"

y: “the tiles are amazing”

i: “good concept”

m: “interesting”

j: "great"

w: “fun”

I want to thank everybody who has played this quest and provided feedback; it is appreciated! much respect to Wolfo, the composer. oh, and none of this would be possible without the invaluable help of S. Norton Duhrugges and Elle Ickenbochs.

Edited by trudatman, 10 July 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#2 JPappi

JPappi

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:10 AM

Where is the key for the first looked door in lvl 1?
Got the boomer and the sword, find some few bombs, lvl 2 and 9. But cant find the key.

Edited by JPappi, 05 December 2008 - 07:11 AM.

#3 vravelo

vravelo

I was killed a lot""---, try me now..!

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE(Trudatman @ Dec 4 2008, 11:27 PM) View Post

thanks, staff, for the quick upload of the howhigh.qst 2008 update. now, if I could get y'all to try playing it....

holler!

edit: if anybody wants to add/change music for this quest, go for it! it could use it.

Trudatman...! I remember playing this quest a while back (remember me??)
there was an awful bug a t the second dungeon, and still the same problem
when I enter the bottom door to go outside,--- then when I come back ,,Still got stock !!
I means, once inside , link go back to the outside by itself and nothing can be done
need to reset the system and start againg
If you want me to post some pictures with the location,, let me know ! icon_freak.gif

#4 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:20 PM

the keys are available. sorry I didn't fix this level two issue before, but I don't remember you having that problem. off to look at it now. I'll be back.

edit: I ran it (in 1.90, mind you!) and found no problems with the door in level two. I guess a screenshot of immediately before and after would be ideal. or try it on 1.90. sorry and thanks for playing! there should be many changes from the 2004 upload, for those that played it long ago.

Edited by Trudatman, 05 December 2008 - 01:41 PM.

#5 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:58 PM

Yup that 2nd dungeon bug got me too. It's a pain having to start it all over again.

#6 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:14 PM

please explain! I don't encounter it and I don't understand his English.

#7 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:13 AM

In the 2nd dungeon there's a room with wallmasters that have to be killed in order for the top door to open. If you die there and then hit continue it automatically puts the player inside the top wall where the unopened door is. Even if you save it that same problem happens and we end up having to restart the quest all over again. It's probably a 2.10 issue as that's what vravelo and I are using to play your quest.

#8 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:23 AM

try it in 1.90, one of you, please!

#9 vravelo

vravelo

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(Trudatman @ Dec 5 2008, 11:23 PM) View Post

try it in 1.90, one of you, please!

v1.90...???.... I rather died than using that,! --- is obsolete!
I'll try something else ..... lather on!

#10 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

well, I have a feeling it's a compatibility issue. I guess my quest isn't worth downloading a separate program for. I suspect there would be other troubles further on. I think I understand the issue and I'll look at it again when I get home.

#11 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

When you submitted your update to Zeldaclassic.com's database, your .qst file came up as a 404. I can't process your submission there unless you can provide something reliable! Also, can you fill in the description and story too? This is important so people will know this is an advanced version of your old quest. You kinda left a lot blank.

#12 vravelo

vravelo

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(Trudatman @ Dec 6 2008, 03:47 PM) View Post

well, I have a feeling it's a compatibility issue. I guess my quest isn't worth downloading a separate program for. I suspect there would be other troubles further on. I think I understand the issue and I'll look at it again when I get home.

Trudatman >>> your quest is a beautiful one!! full of wonderful colors and original ideas!
using a lighter instead a " candle" that's very original with good taste though!
Also many other good surprises I saw in here!
many Eye catcher colored dungeons like intense orange and crispy red"
I'll try to play with one of these latest Zc version like 846 or so,,(sometimes work)
Also I see you take your work very seriously -- you got my support
I'm ready to give my personal rating to this quest,, "when possible""

#13 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:45 PM

your Zeldaclassic.com issue has been taken care of. Gleeok forgot to delete your submission from the submitted content database when it was processed. Everything should be there on the site if you want to look at it.

#14 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:57 AM

thanks, y'all. I noticed they both went up quick, so this community is clearly a serious one, but nobody will use the old program that runs my silly game that I'm proud of. it plays a bit more like if link was me. I'm building another one (this wasn't my first, but don't bother playing trudatman.qst), but I doubt it'll be any better than HowHigh, so I hope people play and enjoy it. maybe I just need to learn the newer programs. some of the screen shots of trees and grass look GREAT. if anybody wants to email me a working set of tiles like that, I'd love to play around with one you recommend. glad these sites are here and I hope you all make awesome games; I've liked a few.

#15 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:18 AM

Actually, people use all sorts of versions for playing specific quests.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users