#1 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 12 November 2020 - 04:26 PM

Dear devs,

Summary
I'm not sure if this is intentional or actually a bug

I really love that we are able to add item pickup strings out of the box with 2.55, especially that you can have them play only once. However, when you have a pickup string and did not check "Always", that string will still play another time after you died/continued/saved.

Like this:
xIgIJdj.png

(I've let some friends non-familiar to Zelda play my quest, but some didn't understand the purpose of picking up a heart. Before you shoot me for having a pickup string for such an obvious item :P )

Version info
2.55 alpha 83

OS info
Windows 10

Details
I really love that we are able to add item pickup strings out of the box with 2.55, especially that you can have them play only once. However, when you have a pickup string and did not check "Always", that string will still play another time after you died/continued/saved.

I hope this is something that can be resolved, for I believe it will be very difficult to efficiently script a pickup string that only plays once. If this is not the case, I'd appreciate any directions regarding scripting that

How to reproduce

1. Set a pickup string for an item
  2. Do not check "Always"
  3. Play your quest and pickup that item > the string should play
  4. Pick it up again in the same session > the string doesn't play
  5. Continue/save
  6. Pick up that item in a new session > the string plays again

Thanks in advance!

• Bagu likes this

#2 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:24 PM

I'd say it'd be nice to have the option, in case you want to do a Skyward Sword thing.

I mean, it's one of my biggest annoyances with SS, but you might still want to do it!

• Bagu likes this

#3 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:24 AM

That one was intentional. It is meant to reflect how most games handle this, as the developer has no way to know the amount of time that has elapsed between the player suspending and resuming a saved game. It could be seconds, it could be years. In may case, years is not that terribly uncommon, so being reminded once (and only once) per game session seems fair and ideal. 

Note that it is easy-enough to offer saving without needing to exit, too; should that be a concern. 

Ad for making an option to not re-display--ever, that will require extensions to the .sav format. I will wait to do all of those at one time, as even a minor change will invalidate all saved games (the entire .sav file) and require starting every game the user was playing, over; or finishing them in the older version. When I do revise the .sav format, I will be adding padding to it to allow for new values and data, which will increase the file size, and loading times, but it will ensure the integrity of saved games across versions. 

• Twilight Knight and Bagu like this

#4 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:15 AM

Thank you Zoria

That explains it for me.

I'm going to try make an efficient script for this using a global array. I think what I'll do is assign an index of that array to every item you want a one-time message for. Like, heart is key 0, bombs is key 1, rupees is key 2, etc. It'll require manually tracking which key/index belongs to which item, but that'll be easy with a spreadsheet or something.

And the built in message could still be useful for items where the string must always play, or every session (like a HCP for example)

Edit: is there some system in this forum for marking bugs as fixed?

Edited by Twilight Knight, 16 November 2020 - 06:16 AM.

• Bagu likes this

#5 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:31 AM

Thank you Zoria

That explains it for me.

I'm going to try make an efficient script for this using a global array. I think what I'll do is assign an index of that array to every item you want a one-time message for. Like, heart is key 0, bombs is key 1, rupees is key 2, etc. It'll require manually tracking which key/index belongs to which item, but that'll be easy with a spreadsheet or something.

And the built in message could still be useful for items where the string must always play, or every session (like a HCP for example)

Edit: is there some system in this forum for marking bugs as fixed?

Please share this script in the databank, when it's finished.
Sounds really useful. 

I WANT IT! :)

• Twilight Knight likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users