Photo

Screenshot of the Week 493

Shane Lunaria SkyLizardGirl joelmacool12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 493 (74 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

ShameToYourFamily - Great shot, reminds me of Peaceful Rest Valley from Earthbound. Really makes me wonder what I'd find if I swam across that river, too. Got my vote.

Lunar Module - It's got some neat tiles and sprites, but there's virtually no transition between tiles which makes it a bit clunky, plus the rock formation in the corner looks kinda odd

SkyLizardGirl - ~ Clashic.

Joel is Cool - The mountain is oddly rectangular, add some variation to the shape to give it a more natural look. You should also add some trees to the right side; it makes no sense to call it a forest if there isn't a single tree.

• Shane and Joelmacool like this

#17 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:30 PM

Wow, I haven't done an SSOTW review in years and years.

Shane
There is really nothing that is less than gorgeous in this shot. I love how the stone walls are both varied and occasionally end in rock rubble. I love how the dirt is varied and non-symmetrical, like everything else on the screen. I love how the trees are staggered, but not at all predictably so. I love how the peahats act as screenshot decorations! This screenshot has been given my vote, and it would do so again. Simply beautiful, and I thank you for it.

Lunaria
The room is themed very well! I definitely get a feeling of dampness coming from it. The color of the statues sitting in the water, and the rocks in the corner... nice. I wonder what it would look like if the rocks were distributed a little more randomly around the room. I also don't know if the water is unwalkable and swimmable, but that's to be expected when I haven't actually played the quest. I can't wait to hear the music from the dungeon.

SkyLizardGirl
The good news is that the screen definitely contains variation! There's no way that there wasn't a lot of effort put into the screen. If it was done to your liking, then I'm happy for you, and you can ignore everything that I'm about to say if you want because of it.

Spoiler

joelmacool12
It's strange. It's a great screenshot, but the farther from the center you get, the less happens, and less I'm able to bring myself to vote for it. Take a look at each corner. What do you see? Nothing? Exactly. I'm not saying that there needs to be a thing happening, but it's just really boring. The right third of the screen is a symmetrical entrance to a forest, which usually isn't all that symmetrical. That cliff in the top-left corner is all flat, and ends on a 90° angle. That's actually pretty boring, from a visual perspective. I think I'm actually overexaggerating my feeling, but if I am, then I do apologize, but I'm still not sure where they're coming from, but it's not necessarily eye candy that I'm looking at, I can't help but feel.

You are a very cool person. I did put tons of overlayer effort in the underwater realm below the Land realms for finding secrets deep diving underwaters.*

!0~0! you are the only one who cheers me ups todays. <3   thank youz.

Very interesting turnout this week. There were some really good screens and other not so good screens. I eventually voted for Shane's screen though. Here are my reasons for that and also comments and critiques for each submission:

Shane-

• This is an excellent screen once again, Shane. I like how the landscape migrates from land to water. I really like the structure of this screen, and visually, this screen does well. The details are really good. However, a variety of trees would be beneficial for this screen. Also, I feel like this screen could have a better palette to better fit the atmosphere. But otherwise, great job; I voted for this screen!
  • 9.0/10 (Amazing)

Lunaria-

• This is an okay screen. Atmospherically, the screen does really, really well. Unfortunately, this is really the only really strong point of the screen in my opinion. Everything else is slightly weaker, but still rather decent. Structurally, the screen doesn't do too well. The fact that the dungeon isn't freeform is acceptable due to the fact that this is using a version of the classic tileset, but other than that, the structure is off. I don't know if you noticed, but the door at the top is inaccessible (unless you have the two-way ladder or flippers) because of the water and statues blocking the way, and because of that, it just appears very strange. Visually, this dungeon screen also does okay. The green colors of the walls don't really match up with the brown colors of the floor in my opinion, and the corners of the water need to use the necessary corner water tiles so that the transition from the water to the land doesn't look so sharp. Also, if you look closely, the colors "below" the statues don't match with with the color of the floor around the statue. You have a little bit to improve here, but this is a decent start. :)
  • 7.0/10 (Good)

SkyLizardGirl-

• This screen is rather chaotic, in my opinion. To a small degree, it appears as if you just stuck a bunch of random tiles together to create a screenshot. Now, don't get me wrong, because I don't actually think you did that (because I still see effort in the screen) but just based on the screen itself, I could see that that's a possible reaction from some people. I do have to admit, though, it does look very colorful visually, but structurally, I would be very confused maneuvering around if that screen were in a quest. For your future screenshots, please try to make things look a bit less hectic if you can (you don't have to though). This is still a decent screen, and if you like this style, that that's completely fine, but I'm not the most fond of it. Still, good job with the screen!
  • 7.2/10 (Good)

joelmacool12-

• This is a very good screen, though mostly at the center. It seems that the further away you get from the center of the screen, the less detailing there is. You need to try to keep that detailing throughout the screen if possible. Otherwise, this is a great screen nonetheless. Structurally, the screen looks great and I already explained the visual side of things. Great job with the screen!
  • 7.8/10 (Good)

Great job to all of the submitters! Also, please forgive me if I sounded a bit harsh sometimes, but I really do want to help people do well with their screens. :)

I hope you realize this is not the final modifying of it.  It is merely beta of the final product

However i wont be using firebird or DXing it.   I am making my own original tiles for the entire quest.

Later of course it will get very technological and you will begin to see more atlantian Alien machinery in future screenshots.

And everything is absolutely being over-layered my skills in overlayers has vastly expanded.* 

#18 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:46 PM

Back to business. Let's have fun!

• Nathaniel, Joelmacool, David and 1 other like this

#19 Plutia

Plutia

CPU of Planeptune

• Members

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:18 PM

You are a very cool person. I did put tons of overlayer effort in the underwater realm below the Land realms for finding secrets deep diving underwaters.*

!0~0! you are the only one who cheers me ups todays. <3   thank youz.

I hope you realize this is not the final modifying of it.  It is merely beta of the final product

However i wont be using firebird or DXing it.   I am making my own original tiles for the entire quest.

Later of course it will get very technological and you will begin to see more atlantian Alien machinery in future screenshots.

And everything is absolutely being over-layered my skills in overlayers has vastly expanded.* 

Machinery would probably only make it more cluttered, to be honest. There's too much moving stuff that takes the player's attention in that version of the screen. While it may be true it's not the final version of the screen, you should still take the criticism of it into consideration.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#20 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:47 PM

Decided to vote Shane this week. Can't put my finger on it, but it's the one that impressed me the most. Can't see a single thing that I would change apart from the inecusable use of the peahat menace in your screen. 7.8/10 - Too Much Peahat :P

Lunaria's screenshot kind of reminds me of one of the sections of Catfish's Maw from Link's Awakening for some reason (probably because of the shallow water stream slicing the room in half). I can't remember too much from the Classic tileset, but if it is possible, I would have put a bit more detail on the floor to break up the empty areas a little. Also, +1 for turning Link into Lana. Someone should really turn those Hyrule Warriors sprites into a set of tiles for the database.

SkyLizardGirl, got to give you credit for trying to make the screen detailed in a form of Classic but imo, the screen feels a bit too busy with certain parts clashing (most notably, the Coral and Grey/Black rocks with the Z1 mountains). I would probably recolour the Grey/Black rocks to make them blend with the mountains better and I would edit the coral to act like trees in other tilesets (make the parts that are not coral transparant and stick the bottom bit on a low layer, with the higher up part on a mid layer). Would also do that to the tops of the pillars too to make less collision issues during play. Finally, I don't know if it is because of the GIF or not, but I feel like the screen would be better without the fish. It might sound like I am picking holes, but I genuinely like the idea you have going on at the moment. A little bit of tidying up can do the screen wonders.

Finally, joelmacool. Tbh, it's not a bad screen. Definitely playable and easy to read. However, the bush where the hollow log is coming from feels a little plain. It's probably because I am too used to seeing trees on those tiles, but I feel like there should be some trees there. The mountain could use a bit of uneveness too imo. Other than that, the screen is pretty sound.

Good week everyone though! Hoping these screens lead into projects (if they aren't already) in the future.

• Shane likes this

#21 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

• Banned

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:08 PM

Decided to vote Shane this week. Can't put my finger on it, but it's the one that impressed me the most. Can't see a single thing that I would change apart from the inecusable use of the peahat menace in your screen. 7.8/10 - Too Much Peahat :P

Lunaria's screenshot kind of reminds me of one of the sections of Catfish's Maw from Link's Awakening for some reason (probably because of the shallow water stream slicing the room in half). I can't remember too much from the Classic tileset, but if it is possible, I would have put a bit more detail on the floor to break up the empty areas a little. Also, +1 for turning Link into Lana. Someone should really turn those Hyrule Warriors sprites into a set of tiles for the database.

SkyLizardGirl, got to give you credit for trying to make the screen detailed in a form of Classic but imo, the screen feels a bit too busy with certain parts clashing (most notably, the Coral and Grey/Black rocks with the Z1 mountains). I would probably recolour the Grey/Black rocks to make them blend with the mountains better and I would edit the coral to act like trees in other tilesets (make the parts that are not coral transparant and stick the bottom bit on a low layer, with the higher up part on a mid layer). Would also do that to the tops of the pillars too to make less collision issues during play. Finally, I don't know if it is because of the GIF or not, but I feel like the screen would be better without the fish. It might sound like I am picking holes, but I genuinely like the idea you have going on at the moment. A little bit of tidying up can do the screen wonders.

Finally, joelmacool. Tbh, it's not a bad screen. Definitely playable and easy to read. However, the bush where the hollow log is coming from feels a little plain. It's probably because I am too used to seeing trees on those tiles, but I feel like there should be some trees there. The mountain could use a bit of uneveness too imo. Other than that, the screen is pretty sound.

Good week everyone though! Hoping these screens lead into projects (if they aren't already) in the future.

thank yous.*  the Fish by the way are actually enemies you can slash and kill using the trident in place of the sword as you change back constantly from Link's Sprite on Land to the Mermaid's sprite on land and underwater.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 04 February 2015 - 10:37 PM.

• Avaro and Aevin like this

#22 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:13 AM

Shane - This is the only screen that really appealed to me this week, thus it's easily my vote.  It is of sound design, and I can't find anything to critcize about its mechanics.  It's not the most interesting screen in the world for sure, like most overworld screens will tend to be, but it certainly shows good skill, and still feels somewhat different from your other recent showings in the same tileset.

Lunaira - It's functional, yet its design is pretty rudimentary, so for SotW, it doesn't stretch nearly enough to get a vote from me.  And yes, classic certainly can do a lot too.

SkyLizardGirl - In my honest opinion, I am not sure what is going on here, assuming something is supposed to.  I am not sure what your intent was when making this screen, but I will say that it doesn't make any sense to me.  It looks more like a collage of tiles than something that would be used in an actual ZC quest.  I do believe that you did put lots of effort into it, though.

joelmacool12 - Like DoR, Pure, and any other popular set out there, or was popular at some time in ZC's history, Firebird also proves that the quality of screens can certainly vary.  While this seems to do good on ground details, I find the straight wall to be rather bland.  I do like the concept of deep forests with log entrances, but this either occupies more of the screen than it should in the way it is, or more variety can be put into the unwalkable vegetation than one repeated pattern of foliage.  It might help to see what other people have done with the exact same concept, not to necessarily imitate it down to the letter, but to get more ideas on how to make it nicer.

• nicklegends and Shane like this

#23 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

• Banned

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:34 AM

Shane - This is the only screen that really appealed to me this week, thus it's easily my vote.  It is of sound design, and I can't find anything to critcize about its mechanics.  It's not the most interesting screen in the world for sure, like most overworld screens will tend to be, but it certainly shows good skill, and still feels somewhat different from your other recent showings in the same tileset.

Lunaira - It's functional, yet its design is pretty rudimentary, so for SotW, it doesn't stretch nearly enough to get a vote from me.  And yes, classic certainly can do a lot too.

SkyLizardGirl - In my honest opinion, I am not sure what is going on here, assuming something is supposed to.  I am not sure what your intent was when making this screen, but I will say that it doesn't make any sense to me.  It looks more like a collage of tiles than something that would be used in an actual ZC quest.  I do believe that you did put lots of effort into it, though.

joelmacool12 - Like DoR, Pure, and any other popular set out there, or was popular at some time in ZC's history, Firebird also proves that the quality of screens can certainly vary.  While this seems to do good on ground details, I find the straight wall to be rather bland.  I do like the concept of deep forests with log entrances, but this either occupies more of the screen than it should in the way it is, or more variety can be put into the unwalkable vegetation than one repeated pattern of foliage.  It might help to see what other people have done with the exact same concept, not to necessarily imitate it down to the letter, but to get more ideas on how to make it nicer.

I want to see other people's examples of an Underwater Screen shot in the future - challenge here: instead of overworld nonstop all the time.

~Including using firebird tiles.

& believe me,  .. i am getting there.*   this is merely just a beta test 

Unknown.jpg462.jpg6195_1.jpg

^Lego your Colors are too bright ~ // * <3   !0~^!

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 05 February 2015 - 01:00 AM.

• Shane likes this

#24 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:37 AM

I would love to see more underwater screens.  In fact, that could be a "Challenge Accepted" contest at some point in the future, if it hasn't already been done.  Take note Russ and Moosh. :)

I think people tend to do overworld screens the most because perhaps they feel that their best looking screens are of that type.  That is my guess at why.

• Shane, Aevin and SkyLizardGirl like this

#25 thediaz

thediaz

The ignite knight

• Members

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:39 AM

I like Shane's more than the others. It looks like a calm place to be, even with those monsters (kill them and build a house :P).

The second and third seems, for me, that they tried to put as much details as they could, but in the wrong way, and turned as a complete mess (the third more than the second). Details are fine, but they must be used carefully. They are a good screenshots though, but too much for the eye.

I don't have much to say about the third one. I like it, it's a nice use of the tileset.

• Shane likes this

#26 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

Sky Lizard Girl wins my vote by default cause MERMAIDS!

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#27 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

I don't really reply to criticism since I like the criticism to stand on it's own. But since there is some confusion, I'll clarify a few things:

That's the solid type water, meaning it's swim-able, but not drown-able if you lack flippers.
The top door is a non-problem in regards to entering and exiting, even if it's not evident so well here.
Just a taste thing, but since it's NES style, and I'm sucker for authenticity, I try to keep stuff to one layer, if possible. :P

#28 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

^ It's probably because I use water tiles very similar to those ones shown on the screeny and because of how the water looks to obstruct one of the doors, but I initially thought that was shallow water. Also, I now see where Lana comes into all of this (saw your Sig. Will be looking into that once it is ready for download :) )

... Think I might have thought of something else that could work for the screen. You know the two dragon(?) statues in the water? You could try editing the sprites a little to make them look sunk into the water, like how EZGBZ has sunken Armos (from Oracle of Seasons) in it's tiles. I don't think NES has seperate water tiles for deep water, so something like that could help give a warning that the water is deeper than it looks.

• Shane likes this

#29 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

• Banned

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:42 PM

I don't really reply to criticism since I like the criticism to stand on it's own. But since there is some confusion, I'll clarify a few things:

That's the solid type water, meaning it's swim-able, but not drown-able if you lack flippers.
The top door is a non-problem in regards to entering and exiting, even if it's not evident so well here.
Just a taste thing, but since it's NES style, and I'm sucker for authenticity, I try to keep stuff to one layer, if possible. :P

^ It's probably because I use water tiles very similar to those ones shown on the screeny and because of how the water looks to obstruct one of the doors, but I initially thought that was shallow water. Also, I now see where Lana comes into all of this (saw your Sig. Will be looking into that once it is ready for download :) )

... Think I might have thought of something else that could work for the screen. You know the two dragon(?) statues in the water? You could try editing the sprites a little to make them look sunk into the water, like how EZGBZ has sunken Armos (from Oracle of Seasons) in it's tiles. I don't think NES has seperate water tiles for deep water, so something like that could help give a warning that the water is deeper than it looks.

Yes the mermaid i am thinking may in fact have a shadow under her giving the illusion she is floating deep in the bright underwater etc or mid-flying/floating.'

I likes the sunken statue idea, i will be sure to include its, and i also turned the fairy statues into mermaid shaped statues.

The Stairs you see keep going lead to top stairways of lakes on Land breathable overworld maps.

I am splicing the Top-down Lighting i got from RPG maker 2003/XP/VX and adding it as an overhead layer effects, in some future pics i may show here also soon in game.

Alsoz: is included underwater very soons.' 

Plus Underwater Dodongos which i replace the

sprites with man-eating fish - simply called WaveSisters Enemy Sprites.

92523f92.jpg

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 06 February 2015 - 06:47 PM.

#30 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:31 PM

SkyLizardGirl's shot is complete chaos and gave me a seizure.  Voted!

• Jared, Hari and SkyLizardGirl like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shane, Lunaria, SkyLizardGirl, joelmacool12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users