Photo

Screenshot of the Week 58

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Which pic? (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Which pic?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE(Mr. Z @ Jun 16 2004, 11:02 AM)
It's just some other people's way of telling something sucks which disgusts me.

I'm guessing it's the "bland" you received in 2-3 different reviews of the screenshot.

While it isn't the best shot in the world, I really wouldn't blame you for not entering again because of people calling your shots bland without saying anything about improvement. I received the comment "bland" for several of my previous SoTW's that I worked hard on... with no help on what to improve... so I stopped entering so often. icon_shrug.gif

LinktheMaster: An above average Pure cave. I like the touches such as the supports under the catwalk and the statues. icon_wink.gif

Ian: Curses! I knew I should have entered a shot with that set! icon_razz.gif Anyway, this is second place for me. I love the originality of the shot in general with the mix of good tiles. icon_smile.gif

PolygonX8: I like the sprites and custom tiles. icon_smile.gif

Jaivaz: The mountain tiles and water look pretty good. However, I suggest adding ripples to the rock sitting in the middle of the water and possibly a better transition between the waterfall and edge of the mountain. icon_shrug.gif

Radien: I'm voting for this shot. It's got another nice mix of original tile ideas going on. icon_smile.gif

Mr. Z: There is probably not much you can really add easily to this shot considering it's a custom boss, but I'd suggest something like a symbol on the floor and some other floor details to spruce up that Ganondorf battle. icon_wink.gif

Hero Link: Another shot from that first quest looking remake. Nice. icon_smile.gif

NoeL: Nice original tiles. However, the main thing that might need a little work is the plain looking grass and dirt areas. You need more grass patches and stuff, possibly. Overall, good custom tile work. icon_thumbsup.gif

UpbeatPenguin: You have the right shot this week. Well, this is a good shot for what it does. I like the ice tiles, though. icon_smile.gif

#17 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:32 AM

I'm guessing it's the "bland" you received in 2-3 different reviews of the screenshot.

Well, by bland, I didn't mean it sucks. I just meant, that there isn't much detail. Maybe I could have found a better word for it. But, what I meant was that statues, or something on the floor could be added to make it a much more appealing shot. icon_shrug.gif
I'm sorry if I came off in a different way than I mean. icon_sorry.gif

#18 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:53 AM

Well, you got to know WHY the floor is so empty, it's because Ganondorf moves around using combo cycling. If I had markings on the floor I would have to at least double the combo pages used (and that is a lot)

*points at the beams Ganondorf fires*
Looky I made it, isn't it pretty? icon_cool.gif

#19 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:58 AM

LTM:
I like the design of the screen, the armos statues add a lot to it. I'm kinda stuck for words on this one >.< Though, the lava could have had one or two more fire thingies.

IaN:
Meh, it's ok I guess. I realized how bland it was after I submitted it, and by then it was too late. The JPEGness took away from it a lot though (I forgot to make it a .gif icon_sweat.gif My fualt) I wish I had of added something more to the mountians, somehow.The item borders are just soemthing I threw in there. Oh, and I'd like to thank Nick, as he ended up providing most of the tiles for this. (Radien: I made the front part of the boat myself. And yes, I'm pretty sure I got the waterfall animating properly icon_wink.gif )

PX8:
I love the custom tiles, everything looks magnificent (sp?). Though, it would have looked better if it didn't use BS graphics. Not becasue they're bad, but to me, they don't really suit a Metroid quest. They're a bit to...I dunno, bright I guess.

Jaivaz:
I very much like the layout in this one. The twistingness of it is great. Other than that though, it's kinda "bland". The water could have been varied a bit more wave-wise, and while the mountain tiles are great, they just don't appeal to me that much (I think it's just the style that I don't like, not the actual tiles) Still a great shot, nonetheless.

Radien:
Amazing shot here. What I really like about this is that the shadowing mixes perfect with the combination of ALttP trees and Pure trees. Looks like we chose the same flowers icon_razz.gif The house is a great addition, and I'm not going to mention the incredible player sprite! Astonishing work!

Mr. Z:
Now that i look at it more closely, this is a lot better than I had thoguht. I just noticed that it's outsde on top of a tower-like place (duh, why would it rain inside, right? icon_sweat.gif ) I like how you're using the Ganondorf sprite, and yeah, that's on pretty sweet fire beam thing icon_wink.gif icon_thumbsup.gif I think it's would have made all the difference if you put some kind of design on the floor. Or some way to vary it just a bit. Maybe make it like floor tiles somehow. Other than that, great job!

Hero Link:
One of the best classic edits I've ever seen. The Link sprite is awesome, along with the bush tiles. I don't really have much else to say other than great job! If I were a fan of the Classic tileset, this would be my pick!

NoeL:
First off, lemme say that the barn is wicked. Basically everything in the shot is custom, and that's what I like to see. I think I'll just make a list of what is great: the chicken, fence tiles, the flowers, the mountain tiles, the B-rang, and yeah, the sword sprite. My only complaint is the that lighter green grass has a bit too much contrast with the darker green.

UBP:
Very nice Newfirst (?) edit. I think it would have been much better, had it been taken in ZC with Link and enemies n there, but I still like it. Keep it up!

#20 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE(Mr. Z @ Jun 16 2004, 10:53 AM)
Well, you got to know WHY the floor is so empty, it's because Ganondorf moves around using combo cycling. If I had markings on the floor I would have to at least double the combo pages used (and that is a lot)

What about putting any details you want to use on Layers 1 or 2? icon_razz.gif

#21 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:38 PM

Because then they will appear over Ganon. I'm assuming his Ganon is on layer 0, since it's cycling.

#22 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:14 PM

Aw Geez... I won't even start. All of these shots are phenominal, and to say one is better than another... No way Sam, you won't drag me down to your level! icon_smile.gif icon_biggrin.gif

To compare Hero Link's shot to the others is like comparing peanut butter to caviar. Many people LOVE peanut butter, but many other people LOVE Caviar! .. But to compare one to another, can't be done. They're not compatible. So I hope people that like the Classis set are voting for Hero Link, and I hope people who like Z3 are voting for Z3. That's what would be logically correct. .. At least based on that 'argument,' anyway. icon_shrug.gif

... But of course, it all comes down to a few things. Effort, Detail, Artistic Sense, .. and the word "quality" includes them all. Is there a shot lacking any of these? Sure. But that is surely compacted by other reasons, such as Mr. Z's shot. In theory, it looks almost boring, but the amount of action in that shot is actually quite significant. It's difficult to judge which is really the best shot for that reason.

I will not vote.

#23 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:54 PM

I'm not going to take the time to explain to everyone why I didn't vote for yours. However, I am going to tell you why I voted for the one I did.

Radien is the one who received my vote. His screen shot offered a peaceful feel with a little humor to it that I liked. I also like the color, its easy on my eyes and the way he set up is screen makes it all the better.

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

#24 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 05:19 PM

About what Mr.Z said. I saw that shadow, after I posted my comment. I didn't feel like going back, and editing. Well, good job, IaN. I like the shadows.

#25 yabazaba

yabazaba

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:56 PM

Too many awsome pics....my head is spinnin' icon_wacky.gif ....Anyway icon_sweat.gif , my choice was a tough one, but the one factor that help finalize the decision was screen layout, and I think Radien did the best job of this. So he gets my vote. Congrats Rad, keep up the good work! (That goes for the other nominees too! icon_wink.gif )

#26 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:23 AM

I can't pick any.. They're all really nice.

LTM: Do I see original tiles? Well paint me blue and call me a smurf. Very nice job.. Wish I could've made a cave like that. icon_smile.gif

Ian - At first, I could've SWORN those were the AI mountains.. But, now I see that's the lttp set's mountains recolored very well. All in all, a very nice shot.

Poly: Can we say... Original? Truly something I'm looking foward to playing.

Jaivaz: Interesting mountains.. Unlike anything I've seen thus far. Trees are a little funky, though. Consider adding some detail to that plain part, unless they're animated.

Radien: Although I've seen this shot, this is truly some of the best work with the pure set that I've seen in awhile. It puts my work in CoD to shame. Excellent job.

Mr. Z: Okay so, what.. You're just picking random shots from tgott.... er dc and showing them off? I mean, c'mon dude... Let's have one of those classic Z shots that we all know and love. BRING BACK THE MIST! icon_bounce.gif

Hero Link: Funky monkey. Very nice job recoloring the classic set.

NoeL: Damn. icon_drool.gif That barn pops out in a major way... The realistic, yet cartoon feeling of the tiles you've created is something that I greatly enjoy looking at. Keep 'em coming.

UBP: Now THAT'S how you do an ice dungeon. Original looking tiles, lack of walls, other colors.. Man, good job.

I'm null voting this week.

#27 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:54 AM

WARNING: If you cannot take honest and maybe a bit harsh feedback, SKIP this post. I will not try to please everyone and make unnecessary complimets. I will say things how I think they are (But remember, it's just my opinion. I'm a harsh critic and I always will be) and I just hope that might help the authors of the shots make their screens better in the future. That is my only intention believe it or not.

Sorry for that kind of start of the post, but PureZC members are quite young and they seem to get very upset easily. I just want to remind you that I don't want to hurt any feelings and that I don't want any more hate PMs "because my opinion is wrong and I'm too harsh". icon_frown.gif

LTM - Basic stuff I'd say, but very well done. Good layout and the shot is interesting. It's always good to see some action going on.
7 / 10

Ian - Looks good. The new tiles are nice, as are the colors. But I agree with Ian himself, the jpgness reduces the shot's beauty and the shot is a bit bland (ugh, I hate that word, like everyone else I suppose) but I don't think there's much to add really... You should submit more often, Ian!
7 / 10

PolygonX8 - Ugh. The tiles clash very badly. And the shot just looks plain weird. It's like, overhead and like sidescroller both in the same shot... well it's tough to explain but I just don't like PolygonX8's graphical style. The tiles are ok and the sprites are pretty good as usual, but I just can't stomach these kinds of shots. (Sorry, nothing personal Poly, you're a cool guy.)
4 / 10

Jaivaz - An ok shot. The mountain tiles are pretty weird though. Those lines don't make the mts look good at all... But the layout is good. The biggest problem with this shot is that there's nothing going on and the lack of details lowers the score.
5 / 10

Radien - Looks very good. The versatility, the layout, the attention to detail, those layers... wow. The tiles are ok, but with amazing original tiles this shot would be a perfect 10! Look and learn people. Radien shows the trick how to make interesting and good looking shots!
8 / 10

Mr. Z - Ah, I love custom bosses! But the problem with most custom bosses is that their screen looks really bland because of combo cycling, warps and that kind of stuff. This isn't any different... actually, it's the blandest custom boss shot I've seen in a long time. (TIP: If you want to take good looking shots, do not use the "take a snapshot" feature during a custom boss icon_wink.gif )
5 / 10

Hero Link - Heh. The colors are pleasent to the eye. I like this shot. Really good work with classic tiles!
7 / 10

NoeL - Ugh those colors. Too bright. And the lack of details too... but because of the cool barn and original graphics I won't bash this shot anymore.
6 / 10

UpBeatPenguin - Oh yes, I love all kinds of ice/snow shots. Too bad this one's too simple. But at least it's a bit different from all those numerous basic ice dungeon shots. That's a big plus.
5 / 10

#28 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:27 AM

Some nice shots this week.

LinktheMaster: Pretty good shot. Looks interesting, and I like those Armoses. icon_thumbsup.gif
IaN: I like this one. Nice layout, interesting shot.. and I like the menus. Good. icon_smile.gif
PolygonX8: Nice. I'm looking foward to MtPP. icon_smile.gif
Jaivaz: Not bad layout wise.. however, the mountains look funny (icon_freak.gif) and the water looks like blue sand.. however, those trees are good. Not bad. icon_smile.gif
Radien: This is just.. AMAZING. Excellent layout, nice tiles, the shadows are perfect.. and even a bit of humor. This instantly gets my vote. ^_^ icon_thumbsup.gif
Mr. Z: A lot of people seem to be calling this shot bland.. however, I completely disagree. It's a very nice shot. icon_smile.gif I saw some tiles from the rest of the boss, and this looks like an awesome boss. I like those beams, too. icon_razz.gif
Hero Link: Pretty good, especially for classic. This is a great shot. icon_thumbsup.gif
NoeL: Damn, those colors.. icon_dead.gif But, it's very original, and has some great tiles, especially the barn. I like. icon_smile.gif
UpbeatPenguin This is a great shot. It's kind of hard to believe this came from Newfirst, but I find it to be an excellent shot. icon_thumbsup.gif

That's all.. yep. icon_freak.gif

Edited by Ben, 17 June 2004 - 09:27 AM.

#29 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 June 2004 - 10:52 AM

I voted for myself! icon_razz.gif and thanks for voting for me Phil icon_thumbsup.gif

Pity you cant take criticism Mr. Z, cause i think you're alright! Hey, no-one liked my tiles either ( icon_disgust.gif but i like em, and at least they're fresh and original, no more seeing the same thing over and over again...hope the quest turns out alright though icon_shrug.gif )

Oh and Raiden, just for the record she's not a Kokiri girl, she's Link and Malon's daughter, Maya (aint she the cutest?) Oh and Serenia looks pretty cool too, did you draw her?

Oh one more thing, the chickens are killable.. if that gets me more votes

Edit after reading page two:

I realise my tiles are bright, and that they arent packed with detail, but personally i like the feel they have. dont worry though, the quest doesnt have an "overworld" so you wont have to look at this colourset for half the game like most other quests. also i didnt want to pack the screen with leaves and tufts of grass etc because personally i hate crowded screens, like Radien's (sorry bud)

But seriously, i've taken you're comments into consideration and hopefully it'll lead to a better quest.. which ill be relasing a demo of soon featuring the first act (farm, kokiri forest, lost woods) OOO! Feel the excitement!

Edited by NoeL, 17 June 2004 - 11:33 AM.

#30 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 21 June 2004 - 01:18 PM

We have a tie. Here's what I'm going to do. Both will be entered in SOTM. I will put one pic on the main page today, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Sometime Thursday, I will change it to the other and let it run until next week's winner is declared. And I currently need shots for SOTW59. I don't think I have any.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users