twilight princess remake hd wii u majoras mask wind waker ocarina

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#16 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

We need to wait at least another generation first. You can still play TP on a Wii U.

Tangent: My problem with the design of the newer Zeldas are the ridiculously long expositions... It takes at least an hour to get to anything interesting.

• Rambly, Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder and coolgamer012345 like this

#17 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:35 AM

DaviAwesome, it's okay to ask for a thread to get back on-topic, and I do agree that the TP vs. OoT discussion was quite derailing, but dial it back a little, please. No need to call out and criticize people like that.

As for my thoughts on a Twilight Princess remake, I think it doesn't happen for at least one more generation. I mean, a version is already playable on the Wii U, the Wii version, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Gamecube version was released for the eShop. If Gamecube Virtual Console still becomes a thing... which I hope it does... So it seems unlikely at this point that we'll see an HD remake of TP for the Wii U. They could totally prove many of us wrong and release one anyway, but it wouldn't happen for at least two years in that case, most likely.

And honestly I find TP to be a very great Zelda game, its only flaws being in music and story, and, well, admittedly the graphics don't carry the same charm to me as almost every other Zelda game does. The story I guess they couldn't really change, but I'd like it if a remake would remaster the soundtrack and make the visuals a little more... lively, I guess. Maybe add a little filter to make them pop a little more, they just look a little dull compared to other games in the series. Those would be all I'd hope for in a TP remake, and maybe a way to skip more cutscenes, like the postman for instance. TP was fantastic, but it did have a lot of slowdown...

#18 Legen Dary

Legen Dary

Freak Scene

• Members

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:20 AM

Saying Twilight Princess (or any game) is objectively better than Ocarina of Time (or any game) is stupid by itself, moreso if your argument is "because technical elements".

So, Transformers is objectively a better film than, I don't know, Casablanca. Yeah, because it's panoramic, in color, and has the greater special effects. OBJECTIVELY BETTER.

• strike likes this

#19 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:05 AM

Saying Twilight Princess (or any game) is objectively better than Ocarina of Time (or any game) is stupid by itself, moreso if your argument is "because technical elements".

So, Transformers is objectively a better film than, I don't know, Casablanca. Yeah, because it's panoramic, in color, and has the greater special effects. OBJECTIVELY BETTER.

Did you skip a few posts?

I disliked a lot of things about TP. Admittedly less than a lot of the more vocal critiquers. Honestly I always felt like a minority when it came to that game until the last few years when people seemed to more consistently criticize it. I remember it being very well received with its flaws being very minor and ignorable to most. Maybe it is a case of simply not aging well or leaving as lasting of an impression as many other Zeldas.

All things considered would I love to see TPHD(terrible acronym)? Sure! Do I think it is worth it in the next couple years? Nah. Honestly for the 30th anniversary I would rather see Nintendo show some real love for LOZ and the series as a whole. It would be much better to get a graphical update (possibly 2.5D treatment) for LoZ and better yet a Zelda Maker(still love you ZC).

On a side note I really don't see remakes getting in the way of new Zelda titles. Honestly I would really love to see another studio take on a major Zelda title.

#20 Legen Dary

Legen Dary

Freak Scene

• Members

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:42 AM

Late again :(

Truth is that remakes (or remasters, whatever) are quick and easy money. Maybe we'll see a TP remake, but it won't be soon (OoT, TWW, MM, and ALBW remembering us ALttP). Don't forget you can still play TP in a modern console too.

• The Satellite likes this

#21 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:46 AM

I liked Twilight Princess the first time I played through it in 2006, but when I returned to it a few weeks ago I was majorly disappointed with how poorly the game aged. The controls weren't natural and the graphics attempted to be impressive but just looked ugly in comparison to other games. In fact, I stopped playing and switched to Ocarina of Time, which, while less sophisticated, has survived the test of time better. I think a remake of Twilight Princess would make sense down the road for the same reasons Xenoblade Chronicles is being remade for the 3DS right now: it was a popular game with a gripping story and refined gameplay, but it was held back in some ways by the technical limitations of the game's original platform. I get the sense that Nintendo sees Twilight Princess as a rather controversial entry in the series... hopefully this doesn't hold them back.

#22 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:55 AM

I kinda like this vicious cycle going on. Will the internet be demanding for a Skyward Sword HD remake soon?

I know this has been popular lately, but for the longest time, ever since ALBW was released, I always imagined how cool it'd be to see LA getting a 3D remake (or even a sequel... somehow). That, or the oracle games, or maybe all three. It'd be neat to see, but I won't lose sleep if we don't get them. :P

As for a Twilight Princess remake... Twilight Princess is a good Zelda game for me. I love the medieval look, and it has the best atmosphere for me out of all the Zelda titles so far. The graphics show obvious age however. But regardless, I would love to see a remake, but not until a few more years. Remakes kinda need to be an occasional thing, and Nintendo has been working so hard on several titles and remakes, I don't think they can afford another remake just yet. :)

Edited by Shane, 08 November 2014 - 06:01 AM.

#23 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:20 AM

I've always loved Twilight Princess and is definitely my 2nd favourite Zelda game, just following Wind Waker. I really couldn't find any major problems with it and what everyone else has said, I just can't see it lol Well, I guess my only problem with the game is that the bosses were far too easy (except for Zant)... and that's about it. On topic though, seeing a remake of TP would be really awesome to see and I would love to play that.

But I predict the remake to come much later on, since we have got Zelda U coming up and other big projects being made right now.

Edited by EddyTheOliveira, 08 November 2014 - 06:20 AM.

• Shane likes this

#24 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

I wouldn't mind it if they incorporated Motion Plus controls and added an option to remove the fairy courser WITHOUT simultaneously disabling pointer aiming, also make more cutscenes skippable, add in a Master Quest and greatly improve the texture resolutions (The graphics are just abysmal for the type of visual aesthetic they were aiming for).

#25 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:36 AM

My biggest question is whether or not a remake would use the GCN or Wii version's geography. It's been said that the Gamecube geography is the canon one, so I imagine it would be the Gamecube version that got remade, however since it had Wii controls, I would imagine they'd want to incorporate that somehow. If they're smart, they'd have alternate control scheme options, for those of us who prefer Gamecube controls. Maybe this time they'd invest the effort into only flipping Link himself instead of the entire damn world. Or maybe they can just have two modes, one with Wii controls and flipped world, one with Gamecube controls and the unflipped world. Any of this could work. Also I do agree that some retexturing to improve the look of the game would help, even when it first came out I noticed some blurry textures that stood out more than they should have.

• nicklegends likes this

#26 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:40 AM

With regards to the world flipping, they'd just have it one way for the normal game and the other way for Master Quest just like they've done for OoT 3DS.

#27 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:01 AM

Truth is that remakes (or remasters, whatever) are quick and easy money.

Are you sure about that? Did we get a timetable on any of the remakes? From what I hear MM3D has been in development since just after OoT3D finished and it is still not going to be out until next year. That's longer than it took to make MM. I take heart in that it doesnt seem like they are half assing it.

I kinda like this vicious cycle going on. Will the internet be demanding for a Skyward Sword HD remake soon?

I know this has been popular lately, but for the longest time, ever since ALBW was released, I always imagined how cool it'd be to see LA getting a 3D remake (or even a sequel... somehow). That, or the oracle games, or maybe all three. It'd be neat to see, but I won't lose sleep if we don't get them. :P

Has the internet demanded a remake other than MM? I think it was kind of a special thing. Of course any remake in a series will result in a call for and speculation of other remakes in the series.

I would love to see LA get the ALBW treatment. A remake or a revisiting of Koholint with the charm, great story, and ideas that made LA such an amazing game, and one of my favorites, would be amazing. As far as a full on 3D remake of LA I dunno. It would be nice to see a 3D Zelda take place in Koholint with the Nightmares but as far as remaking LA in 3d I think it would lose a lot of what made it.

#28 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

I'd rather them remake a game that hasn't aged as well as the others, like Zelda 1 and 2.  Gimme an HD 2D remake.

• HavoX likes this

#29 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:29 AM

Are you sure about that? Did we get a timetable on any of the remakes? From what I hear MM3D has been in development since just after OoT3D finished and it is still not going to be out until next year. That's longer than it took to make MM. I take heart in that it doesnt seem like they are half assing it.

Has the internet demanded a remake other than MM? I think it was kind of a special thing. Of course any remake in a series will result in a call for and speculation of other remakes in the series.

I would love to see LA get the ALBW treatment. A remake or a revisiting of Koholint with the charm, great story, and ideas that made LA such an amazing game, and one of my favorites, would be amazing. As far as a full on 3D remake of LA I dunno. It would be nice to see a 3D Zelda take place in Koholint with the Nightmares but as far as remaking LA in 3d I think it would lose a lot of what made it.

It's hard to say how long they've been working on MM3D, because game developers usually don't finish one project and then jump to the next: it's more like once you start getting close to going gold with project A, you separate a small part of the original team and have them start work on project B, and once the other team is finished with project A, they move the rest over to B and go all in. I'm not sure if Nintendo does this with Grezzo though, I really have no idea. They don't release that kind of information, so there's no way for any of us to actually figure this out.

We can however look at MM3D as a product, and right now it looks very much like they're mostly reusing assets from their Ocarina of Time remake. This reduces the cost of development by a great deal, but unless I am completely wrong, this is also a brand new engine compared to the modified Mario 64 engine that was used in the original two games. Meaning that they probably can't just import everything from MM, add the new textures on top and call it a day. I'm not sure exactly what point I'm trying to make here, but either way I can guarantee you that it's cheaper to make a remake of Majora's Mask, than it is to build a new Zelda game from scratch. That is almost always the case, the only real exceptions to this are the kind of remakes that really are more like complete reboots. There's not a lot of those, which I'm sure is tied to the fact that it costs more money to do this. You can't really escape that fact either, because there's so much more work that goes into creating a game from scratch. The conceptualization stage for example, is probably completely removed from Majora's Mask 3D-development, because they already went through that back when they made the original. That's just one example, but there's plenty of things that goes into it, so yeah, you can actually say that remakes are always cheaper to make, because 99.9% of the time, it's true. I'd even argue that the last 0.1% can't really be called remakes to begin with. A good example of this might be the new Resident Evil-remake, but it's a little early to say. It looks like it's more or less a game remade from scratch though, something MM3D is not, despite its different engine.

They might not always be faster to make though, but that too is very hard to really figure out without actually knowing how long they spent making either game. Development studios have grown so much in the last couple of years, but Grezzo, according to the interwebs, has less than 50 employees, which is not a whole lot in this day and age. Heck, it's possible the original Majora's Mask team was much bigger, though if I had to guess I think they would have more people on that game, though not by a whole lot.

#30 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

Here's my theory on this, and I've touched briefly on this in other threads. I think they will definitely re-release it. As far as anniversary releases go, this too could support this theory, cause TP would be 10 years old in 2016. I would not be surprised at all if they announced it in 2016, after the new WiiU Zelda comes out, and dies down a bit. Also, there is another pattern of N64 games to the 3DS, and Gamecube games going to the WiiU. We got OoT3D, then WWHD, and now MM3D, so come one.. it's really a no brainer.

Twilight Princess is a good Zelda game. It's not the best, but it is one of my favorites, and I'd love an HD remake. I still need to get my hands on WWHD though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twilight, princess, remake, hd, wii u, majoras, mask, wind, waker, ocarina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users