• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:59 PM

Oh ok, I'll go back and check again =P

I'd put at least two columns between the overworld and dungeon tiles, and gaps of about half a column after the different sections (so between the floors and the trees, trees and mountains etc.)

I think a major problem is in some places the lack of tiles made for layering, and in other the opposite.
The mountains need corners with different colours on them to fit different situations; the trees need transparent base tiles so they can be layered if necessary.

Oh, and to make the Subrosia palette useful, I had to colour quite a few tiles to use a pink colour instead of the constant light yellow, and I also had to tone down the brightness of that colour aswell.

Edited by Joe123, 02 December 2007 - 02:01 PM.

#32 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

Akkabus, the tileset is able to be used effectively. I should know, I'm using it for the two week quest contest. icon_razz.gif It's VERY true to the original games. Of course, that may be its biggest downfall... I found myself adding transparencies to MANY tiles. The result is Gameboy graphics that can be used to create a more SNES feel. Still, that's not how this tileset shold go; I think it should be as faithful as possible, and that's exactly what it is.

#33 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:01 PM

I love this tileset - you even put in DoR trees!
The one thing I don't really like is that CSet 2 for most of the dungeon palletes have the dungeon walls as being green. I'm using custom palletes for my dungeons, though, so that's not really a problem for me.

#34 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:07 PM

Wow, three of us are using this tileset for the 2 week contest.

#35 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:26 AM

I'd put at least two columns between the overworld and dungeon tiles, and gaps of about half a column after the different sections (so between the floors and the trees, trees and mountains etc.)

the latest update incorporates this change (i still need to tweak the spacings). ironically, the more space you add between sections, the harder it is to find what you're looking for, so i took a conservative approach to space-adding.

I think a major problem is in some places the lack of tiles made for layering, and in other the opposite.
The mountains need corners with different colours on them to fit different situations; the trees need transparent base tiles so they can be layered if necessary.

this is probably, as ebola implied, a feature of the tileset rather than a flaw. although, yes, there are huge problems with some tiles. for example, try drawing the question-mark trees on sandy ground--yikes! the good news is that it's brain-dead easy to edit/recolor the tiles to get the effect you want.

Oh, and to make the Subrosia palette useful, I had to colour quite a few tiles to use a pink colour instead of the constant light yellow, and I also had to tone down the brightness of that colour aswell.

download the latest update and rip the subrosia palette, csets 2 and 3. you might still need to recolor sand tiles to draw subrosia 100% correctly. or, i believe the original cgbz has the correct Subrosia tiles and its corresponding palette.

I found myself adding transparencies to MANY tiles. The result is Gameboy graphics that can be used to create a more SNES feel.

i actually like the GB tiling style, as long as the screens are drawn well. no one's going to notice the mismatches if you make it a point that that's the style of the graphics. if you choose the SNES approach, however, you bind yourself to following that style for each and every screen. debugging the game (especially when layers are involved) can turn into a potential nightmare!

I love this tileset - you even put in DoR trees!

how'd those get in there?! =P yeah, you'll find that i added some "bonus" tiles to supplement the GB graphics here and there. if they're too new-age, just delete the ones you don't want. ^_^

The one thing I don't really like is that CSet 2 for most of the dungeon palletes have the dungeon walls as being green.

it's awkward, but it preserves consistency. the green color has to go somewhere--either cset 2 or 3. i'd much rather draw dungeon walls in cset 3 than draw trees and bushes with that cset.

Edited by Akkabus, 03 December 2007 - 01:29 AM.

#36 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:06 PM

Akkabus, you're almost done but their are few key things you need to work on.
One, fix the tiles on the tilesheet we use to place them.
Relocate the water tiles to where the water tiles are supost to go. icon_razz.gif

#37 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:21 PM

you mean the tiles on the scrap pages? i didn't bother organizing those because i left it up to the user to do whatever he wants with them. i don't understand your post very well. >.<

----

following ebola's comments on GB vs SNES style, i put transparencies on some tiles that looked glaringly awful when placed on layer 0.

Edited by Akkabus, 03 December 2007 - 05:27 PM.

#38 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

Where's the graveyard palette hiding? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

EDIT: OK, nevermind, I've made my own.

Edited by Joe123, 05 December 2007 - 06:54 PM.

#39 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:55 PM

i'm going to have to edit the palettes a bit. some areas are missing, like the graveyard, and other palette colors are just plain wrong. thanks for inadvertently pointing this out. =P

#40 Zemious

Zemious

• Members

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:24 PM

Akkabus, this is what I was talking about.
IPB Image
Clean up your variety of tiles we use for the tilesheet.

#41 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:26 PM

You see that blank combo just before the ladder?

Make it a solid, transparent tile. They do wonders icon_biggrin.gif

#42 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:42 PM

ohh, zemious, you mean get rid of those combos on the first page? they look ugly but they make questbuilding a lot easier. maybe i've looked at them so much that i don't see anything wrong with them anymore? i'm still confused, sorry!

good call, joe. i'll do that, thank you.

Edited by Akkabus, 06 December 2007 - 06:43 PM.

#43 Zemious

Zemious

• Members

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

People who discuss what they're going to submit to PZC are often given a good rating.

I like your tileset.

#44 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

http://www.spriters-...ladx_tilese.png
icon_eek.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users