Photo

Spriter's challenge thread! Newbies welcome here, too!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 10 September 2022 - 11:15 AM

Hi! This is the sister thread to the Scripter's Challenge thread. Every two weeks I'll post a spriting challenge here. (On the off-weeks I'll be posting over there instead.)

This isn't a contest! Please feel free to ask for help if you need it. This time around I'll actually know what I'm talking about, so that's exciting. Criticism is welcome by default, but if anyone specifies that they don't want it, please respect their wishes.

Ideeeeeeeeally I'd appreciate it if people posted in this thread, but I understand that this is 2022, so feel free to play along in a Discord server or just try the challenges by yourself! If you don't want to post but do want to show your work, feel free to send me a Discord message.

___

Prompt images

Let's pretend this is all one unified architectural vision. Draw tiles for an area based on this. External tree-houses, wall tiles, furniture, go as far as you want to go.

• Joelmacool and SkyLizardGirl like this

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 September 2022 - 11:24 PM

So I do have something that is tree... adjacent I guess? It's wood. Idk if it's really worth submitting though because in order to be used it would need more tiles (which I won't be drawing any time soon), and recolored. plus it doesn't fit into any existing set or style, really. These were made with the intent of being used in a top-down style, but they could also work for a side scrolling area as well. Feel free to critique them but I probably won't be making any changes or updating them unless I need them for something. These were more or less made as practice for me than they were for an actual quest project.

If you want to use them, go for it, just give credit as they are custom.

Example:

unknown.png

Actual tiles for ripping:

weirdwoodtiles.png

The borders are intended to be layered over the darker wood parts. the red tiles are for the floor.

• Shane and SkyLizardGirl like this

#3 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 14 September 2022 - 12:44 AM

kD6mjUF.png

m6AUDlf.png

LlDVQR0.png

jUWY9d0.png

Finished  \0~0/  for Ether sis.*

Ok i finished my version of the Tree for this project.

Also i am confused if i am supposed to make tilesets or actual screenshots.

I took parts i could to blend them in different ways and some are custom parts also.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 14 September 2022 - 05:23 AM.

• Sheik and coolgamer012345 like this

#4 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 15 September 2022 - 01:15 PM

General idea is for sprites more than screens, but I'm not gonna say no to screens! I think your first screen is my favorite of the ones you posted--the big tree does really interesting things with pieces of existing tiles, combining them in a way I've never seen before. I think the leaves added later clash with the GBC style, though--white outlines don't really fit in there very well.

I find it a little hard to parse the interior screens--the first one especially. The perspective is really confusing. I originally parsed those lighter tiles as walkable instead of being a very very tall wall, and I'm...still not 100% sure which is the correct read? The windows are angled in a way that suggests that the lighter tiles are DOWN, further away from the viewer.

Also I'm working on my own entry. There's a lot of it! I maaaaaaaaay have veered off from the prompt itself to just start drawing trees, this is definitely going to end in a database submission.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#5 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 15 September 2022 - 11:22 PM

I've drawn a bunch of trees and I plan to draw even more, but this is what I've got as far as stuff that's directly relevant to the challenge. I might do diagonals for the second set, but this mostly covers things anyway and I'm more excited about TREES right now.

5pdsvZUJ_o.png

V7gZnher_o.png

pwrb6tBv_o.png

Fair warning that the colors on those walls are a biiiiiiit closer together than what I think is normal for palettes.

EDIT: 

unknown.png

Edited by Ether, 16 September 2022 - 03:15 PM.

• Anthus, Shane and SkyLizardGirl like this

#6 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 16 September 2022 - 12:22 AM

General idea is for sprites more than screens, but I'm not gonna say no to screens! I think your first screen is my favorite of the ones you posted--the big tree does really interesting things with pieces of existing tiles, combining them in a way I've never seen before. I think the leaves added later clash with the GBC style, though--white outlines don't really fit in there very well.

I find it a little hard to parse the interior screens--the first one especially. The perspective is really confusing. I originally parsed those lighter tiles as walkable instead of being a very very tall wall, and I'm...still not 100% sure which is the correct read? The windows are angled in a way that suggests that the lighter tiles are DOWN, further away from the viewer.

Also I'm working on my own entry. There's a lot of it! I maaaaaaaaay have veered off from the prompt itself to just start drawing trees, this is definitely going to end in a database submission.

I am using a trick where you use FreeFormCombos to place parts overlayerd where they would normally 'be impossible' to be placed at on a screen.

Yeah all the screens i made are just simple examples mostly to what kind of

Custom tile parts

would be needed to craft the live scenery of the photos posted above.

I am very sure improved parts can be made to fit the photo examples more.

Lastly about the tub and sink in the bathroom, 

I think an upside down Seashell for sink or open boulder rock for tub might fit alot better, but needs a custom draw.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 16 September 2022 - 12:29 AM.

#7 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 24 September 2022 - 11:01 AM

Okay, well...challenge 2, then.

This is Waifu Labs, a fine purveyor of AI-generated anime girls. Go generate a character or a few, then sprite them.

By the way, if you didn't see already, there's trees!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users