The next hard topic:. Finding a new website/webmaster

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 12:43 PM

OK, to bring up the next hard topic to the community, where to host the community in a neutral fashion. AGN was the home from 1999-2021, but they are essentially moving their spirit to Discord and going the way of the dinosaur. Even if ZC.com survives, we need a new, neutral site where every person can feel welcome. While nothing's official, here's what I propose:

1. Pure hosts temporarily until the webmaster situation is settled.
2. We build a new website welcoming to all.

Open community discussion. When we have a consensus I will present to the council and devs and then after that, to War Lord. No action is on the table as of yet, only discussion.

#2 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 21 August 2021 - 01:03 PM

Is it really necessary to have another ZC forum? 

Since the thread update Discord has been seemingly the preferred avenue for bug reports/feature requests, so from a dev side I don't know if there's a real need for a forum anymore (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).  When the OpenZC forums were created, it attracted almost no userbase.  It's had probably 10 threads in all of 2021 most of which get 0 replies.  I don't think this was really anybody's fault, it's just... everybody's already in established forum communities.  Who is going to migrate?

An official website with downloads, info, and community links is of course needed and I have no input on who should be responsible for that.  But why can't the Discord just be the official discussion home?  That would save everyone from wasting a lot of effort building a new board that won't really ever get off the ground I think.

• Twilight Knight, Aslion, Mani Kanina and 1 other like this

#3 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 01:09 PM

It is a fair question, but file hosting is a concern.

Another option is to approach War Lord about a rebranding. Get rid of AGN (forum only), have a new site under him, keeps him involved.

-James
  • Mitchfork likes this

#4 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 01:56 PM

Agreed with Mitch here.

I really don't see the point/value in having a new website, other than one to officially host the program downloads. PureZC is already welcoming to all and the various Discord servers are all active/open. Any new forum would pretty much be destined to fail right off the bat, OpenZC is pretty much proof of that.

• Twilight Knight and Jared like this

#5 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 02:01 PM

So you think we should rebrand ZC.com.and talk to WL and let that host the files, or something else? That kinda does that.

-James

#6 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 03:19 PM

If you overwork the site and options....
...create a SFX wav category in the PureZC database!

Edited by Bagu, 21 August 2021 - 03:19 PM.

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#7 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 03:36 PM

As I've mentioned in the other topic I'm willing to help out of the development/maintenance part of such a website

I agree with what's being said regarding forums, adding one to the official website would be overkill

Regarding (file) hosting I think we could safely ask for donations since we're moving away from official Nintendo branding. I'd be willing to contribute a bit myself as well of course
Most likely it wouldn't be very expensive hosting either, probably under $100 a year? I'm unsure how much traffic zc.com has now

• Bagu likes this

#8 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 03:41 PM

I'd love the Twilight Knight, as our new Webmaster

Edited by Bagu, 21 August 2021 - 03:42 PM.

#9 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 03:43 PM

As I've mentioned in the other topic I'm willing to help out of the development/maintenance part of such a website

I agree with what's being said regarding forums, adding one to the official website would be overkill

Regarding (file) hosting I think we could safely ask for donations since we're moving away from official Nintendo branding. I'd be willing to contribute a bit myself as well of course
Most likely it wouldn't be very expensive hosting either, probably under $100 a year? I'm unsure how much traffic zc.com has now

Don't put the cart before the horse.  :)

• Bagu likes this

#10 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 04:16 PM

I don't think it's puttibg the cart before the horse.
You asked for a new webmaster, Twilight Knight offered himself.
...and I really support it, cause he's a an expired developer, scripter and one of the most active members on PureZC.
...no one has to make a decission, right now. But YES!!! 'i'd nominate Twilight Knight.

...or Moosh, if he'd offer himself.

Edited by Bagu, 21 August 2021 - 04:18 PM.

#11 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 04:21 PM

I don't think it's puttibg the cart before the horse.
You asked for a new webmaster, Twilight Knight offered himself.
...and I really support it, cause he's a an expired developer, scripter and one of the most active members on PureZC.
...no one has to make a decission, right now. But YES!!! 'i'd nominate Twilight Knight.

...or Moosh, if he'd offer himself.

OK, fair, jumped the gun. Just looking more for solutions than people at the moment, sorry.

-James
  • Bagu likes this

#12 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 August 2021 - 04:24 PM

So wait, is AGN planning on going offline? And possibly ZC.com along with it? I noticed the recent site outage but this is kinda coming out of left field to me. That site was a huge part of ZC's history. Much as I may not have always gotten along with its userbase, I'll miss it.

In general I'm in agreement with what everyone else is saying, if there does end up being a new hub site it doesn't need a new hub forum. Best case scenario for me is of course ZC.com staying online. Grug no like change. Grug hit change with bonk stick.

• Bagu likes this

#13 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 04:27 PM

So wait, is AGN planning on going offline? And possibly ZC.com along with it? I noticed the recent site outage but this is kinda coming out of left field to me. That site was a huge part of ZC's history. Much as I may not have always gotten along with its userbase, I'll miss it.

In general I'm in agreement with what everyone else is saying, if there does end up being a new hub site it doesn't need a new hub forum. Best case scenario for me is of course ZC.com staying online. Grug no like change. Grug hit change with bonk stick.

Hey, Moosh! I'd really LOOOOOVE you as our new webmaster (maybe in cooperation with Twily :)

...that would be great!!!

#14 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 August 2021 - 04:28 PM

Hey, Moosh! I'd really LOOOOOVE you as our new webmaster (maybe in cooperation with Twily :)

...that would be great!!!

I know absolutely nothing about webmastering. Probably not a good idea there. :P

• Bagu likes this

#15 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 04:28 PM

...ohhhh :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users