Photo

Screenshot of the Week 296

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (34 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:59 AM

You do have a lot of appealing things in this shot, but I have to say I don't think the back-to-back walls and doors look good in the center of the screen. It's better to work with the natural screen divisions in ZC since it uses NES Zelda scrolling. Also I've never been a fan of excessive use of trees inside dungeons, but I realize plenty of people disagree.

Master Maniac:

Very nice subscreen and area. This would win my vote if it weren't for a few little problems. First, the subscreen "parchment" frame seems cut-off from not having enough room. Also, there seems to be something wrong with the heart meter graphics. I'd check them out in the tile editor.

Your area layout is valid, but there is so much grassy area that it feels like it should be walkable. If there is no way for Link to get up there, I'd recommend strewing around more solid greenery to fill the space, like trees and brush.

dragonsword:

It's all right for a Classic screen, but even relative to Classic, it still looks a little bare. There's no texture for the floor, the walls are mostly empty, etc. I like the torches. The door would be fine except it has no door frame. The walls I'm not too fond of due to their extremely blocky, angular, basic design. Even Classic had a little variation.

Moo2wo:

We see a LOT of screens with "action" that is identical to yours, but I do like how you've laid this screen out and used a few different tiles and a slightly different palette. You also have a very nice subscreen. One thing about it, though: The heart meter frame clashes with the style of the map frame. One is extremely minimalist while the other is fancy. I'd change either one or the other.

My vote went to Moo2wo. icon_smile.gif

#17 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:43 AM

Actually, the parchment isn't cut off at all. That's how it looks in the tile editor. I would know because it was a pain for me to rip perfectly to size XD

And yeah. Seems the thing that caused me to lose this one is the right side of the screen. This screen is actually in Kakariko Village (still overworld but meh).

And with the cliff/mountain tiles, I wanted it to look like there was a dip in the ground. It looked a lot better though with the trees around it though.

Also, I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the owl? XD I ripped it from Zemious's FSA sprites thread.

#18 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

I was going to, but then decided it was probably nothing more than just some detail.

#19 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE(Master Maniac @ Aug 25 2010, 03:43 AM) View Post
Actually, the parchment isn't cut off at all. That's how it looks in the tile editor. I would know because it was a pain for me to rip perfectly to size XD

Really? Well then, I probably got that impression because it is pressed up against the edge of the screen. Even one pixel between the parchment and the edge of the screen would help. I dunno, just a thought. I realize things can get a bit tight when you put outside graphics into ZC.

And yeah. Seems the thing that caused me to lose this one is the right side of the screen. This screen is actually in Kakariko Village (still overworld but meh).

I suppose so. Personally I'd fill out the entire "upper" area with more unwalkables to make it clear that it's off-limits. The tall grass looks fine, except some players will be bothered to see slashable combos that they can't access. It's just human instinct, heh.

And with the cliff/mountain tiles, I wanted it to look like there was a dip in the ground. It looked a lot better though with the trees around it though.

That looks fine. icon_smile.gif There's not much walkable space, but it's okay to do that every now and then.

Also, I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the owl? XD I ripped it from Zemious's FSA sprites thread.

Oh, I noticed it, but I'd just recently looked at the sprite sheet so I knew where you got it from. Link isn't talking to the owl, so I didn't comment on the owl itself.

Some people just put in lots of NPCs and don't allow you to talk to most of them, making them nothing more than decoration. I don't necessarily think you're doing that, but I'd discourage it.

#20 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Aug 25 2010, 02:54 PM) View Post

Really? Well then, I probably got that impression because it is pressed up against the edge of the screen. Even one pixel between the parchment and the edge of the screen would help. I dunno, just a thought. I realize things can get a bit tight when you put outside graphics into ZC.

Yeah. I'll see if I can't fix it. You're talking about the top, correct?

I suppose so. Personally I'd fill out the entire "upper" area with more unwalkables to make it clear that it's off-limits. The tall grass looks fine, except some players will be bothered to see slashable combos that they can't access. It's just human instinct, heh.

The left side is accessable. But the right side is not. I'll work on that. I just added the tall grass as a space-filler.

That looks fine. icon_smile.gif There's not much walkable space, but it's okay to do that every now and then.

Yeah. This particular screen is actually pretty important. I think that the small walking space fits better than the large area, personally.

Oh, I noticed it, but I'd just recently looked at the sprite sheet so I knew where you got it from. Link isn't talking to the owl, so I didn't comment on the owl itself.

Some people just put in lots of NPCs and don't allow you to talk to most of them, making them nothing more than decoration. I don't necessarily think you're doing that, but I'd discourage it.

All of my NPCs are scripted, but the owl will act like OoT's owl. Floating in, giving advice, etc.

#21 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

I voted for Moo2wo. It looks like the best designed to me.

#22 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

Master Maniac - 3 votes = [10.00%]
dragonsword - 1 vote = [3.33%]
Moo2wo - 21 votes = [70.00%]
Total Votes = 30

Moo2wo
IPB Image

Congratulations to Moo2wo on a stellar victory this week!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users