Photo

Screenshot of the Week 649

Joelmacool Shoshon the Elegant ywkls

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 649 (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:00 PM

Shoshon the Elegant
Shoshon%20the%20Elegant.png
Prometheus has a message for Eddy.

ywkls
ywkls.png
I'm going to have to come here more than once, aren't I?- Nayru

Joelmacool
Joelmacool.png
Is this normal?
  • Joelmacool likes this

#2 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:02 PM

none. 

voted JoelMaCool that's a nice mermaid and I thought the dog was the player for
a sec but oh well just boring old LInk yayayayaya

• Joelmacool and Matthew like this

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:17 PM

Not gonna lie, I can't understand the perspective in either Shoshon's or ywkls's shots. Especially ywkls's, is the player standing on higher elevation? Lower? The same? I just can't tell.

Voted for Joel's here, which is a well-composed shot. The water borders shifting in color is a little jarring, I'm sure it's the intent looking at the rest of the screen, but it's a lot less smooth there than it is in the grass and tree tiles.

• Joelmacool likes this

#4 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:24 PM

Didn't vote since I'm in this one.

Shoshon the Elegant- I think the joke was funnier when it was in smaller print. For added comic relief, it should have been in Aurebesh. Otherwise, the screen isn't particularly complicated.

Joelmacool- Lots of pretty, bright colors and an interesting screen. I like.

On the perspective in mine, it's a dungeon with raised and lowered floors. The idea was sort of inspired by a discussion with Eppy, but in the end I settled on the concept of a dungeon within a dungeon; where getting the main item makes you have to go back to places you'd already been to reach new stuff.

May the best screenshot win!

• Matthew and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:31 AM

Shoshon, I can see what you're going for with the perspective, and while it makes sense, I agree with TS that it's really difficult to make out because the walls and floors have very little color variation. I did a quick edit recoloring the floor and making the walls in light and shadow to make it easier to see what's going on. Dunno if you wanna go to all the work of doing something like that, but it does make it much easier to read (and to see what's going on) :

k4tuhi.jpg

I voted JMC because it's really appealing and playful, and I like the colors. I do agree that water borders should all be orange or purple though, so it's not so jarring.

Edited by Cukeman, 12 February 2018 - 02:34 AM.

• Joelmacool likes this

#6 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:43 AM

Well, the scale of my screen makes more sense on the scale of the dungeon than as an individual screen really. It's just a secret room on the highest portion of the gorgon den. So the walls are all going down from this perspective, except for the ones right by the player that go up.

I votes for Joel by the way. Nice composition and love the colors.
  • Joelmacool likes this

#7 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:07 AM

Yes

voted for joel

• Joelmacool likes this

#8 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

I do suppose mixing the colours on the border was a tad too much. Though, the idea of the screen was to mix all colours to try and unify them to create one, complete screen. 

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#9 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:36 AM

Yeah the water borders didn't work but I do think overall you did a good job with your goal. It feels very complete to me. Definitely the clear best shot in my opinion.

-Strike

• Joelmacool likes this

#10 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:57 AM

The real, real question Soshon needs to be asked: 2018, or Mega Man X8?

#11 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:58 AM

I do suppose mixing the colours on the border was a tad too much. Though, the idea of the screen was to mix all colours to try and unify them to create one, complete screen.

I actually like what you did, gives a surrealistic vibe, like a dream shot. I digs. :D
  • Joelmacool likes this

#12 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:15 PM

Shoshon the Elegant - My thoughts are generally similar to that of everyone else. The perspective makes sense, but I guess it isn't clear enough unless you look at it for a while. Still though, nice easter egg you have here :P However, the sword going towards the message means that you just killed finishing AR3 and so you just cancelled the quest again >=(

ywkls - Seems fairly complex, I assume those wind tiles on the floor are going to be making some kind of use. Detail is a bit lacking for the most part and the shot looks a bit plain. Maybe try to add a bit of wall detail or maybe add some more objects like pots or torches.

Joelmacool - My favourite this week, I really like the wacky colours of this one. I do agree that the water borders changing colour is a bit weird, but that's probably the only minor thing I can think of. Nice job overall, and I have no clue how that mermaid got on the roof like that lol.

I voted for Joel this week.

• Shane and Joelmacool like this

#13 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:53 AM

the middle one.
  • ywkls likes this

#14 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:02 PM

Easy mermaid house vote

#15 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:31 AM

Shoshon: I... really have no idea what's going on here. :(

ywkls: I enjoy the screen's palette and overall balance, but like others I find it hard to interpret the different elevations at a glance.

Joelmacool: It's a funky screen, to be certain, but amid the funk there's a sense of magic. The greenish shadows on the colored trees are ugly and stand out to me. They're not enough to deter me from giving you my vote.
  • Joelmacool likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joelmacool, Shoshon the Elegant, ywkls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users