The Nintendo Switch

• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#646 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:30 PM

What is it with Nintendo's aversion to putting a reset button on their systems?

#647 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:54 AM

Maybe because "Home" takes more than one click, so less likely to lose your game?

#648 Arthas

Arthas

Adept

• Members

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:32 AM

These days with how obtrusive and frequent system updates are and what can go on behind the scenes while playing a game, it would be very bad to be able to repeatedly interrupt and reset your console. It could corrupt the flash memory in the console or corrupt the game card itself. I've killed a bunch of SD cards and portable drives simply by pulling them out while there was read/write activity. That's what you're doing when you hard reset something.

This is why short of ripping the battery out in a handheld or ripping the power supply out of wall in other consoles they've made 'reset' functions an afterthought. You usually have to first suspend any activity in order to reset the system.

Edited by Arthas, 04 November 2017 - 04:35 AM.

• Daniel likes this

#649 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:29 AM

good thinking

#650 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:22 AM

Hm, I never thought about it that way, it makes sense. The Switch's menus are pretty snappy, and it's easy to suspend the software, so you really don't need it.

#651 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:23 PM

Yeah, the Switch UI and OS are very fluid and streamlined, I like it. I do hope for custom background themes in the future but I'm otherwise happy with it. After all, I don't spend much time in the menus, just in the games. As it should be, I feel. :P

• nicklegends likes this

#652 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:57 PM

This took less than a year. I don't buy into Nintendo's optimism that it'll outsell the Wii, but it's still impressive and not really unexpected that it outsold the Wii U this fast.

• nicklegends and Jared like this

#653 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:29 PM

I think if they eventually do Wii, and GameCube VC it could easily surpass the original Wii. I also read somewhere that the Switch also out paced both the Wii, and PS4 in year one sales, but no source so take it with a grain of salt. Not surprising though, as they didn't botch the launch this time.

Random fact about me: Out of five of my friends, we all have Wiis. Two of us have WiiUs and I'm the only one with a Switch currently, but my one friend bought one and sold it.

#654 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:00 PM

Well this is one unique way to play the Switch...

Oh yeah, also they finally announced their subscription service will launch in September.

#655 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

Well this is one unique way to play the Switch...

Oh yeah, also they finally announced their subscription service will launch in September.

I could see that working for a ping pong game too.

#656 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:33 PM

Happy one year anniversary, Nintendo Switch. :) (And BoTW).

• Anthus likes this

#657 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:53 PM

And what a year it has been! This might be the most content rich system by Nintendo since the SNES (or maybe the Wii, more realistically).

• Jared likes this

#658 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

A year later and I'm still waiting on a Netflix app. :heh:

EDIT: Just to clarify, I love my Switch. But I would love it that much more if I could use it for Netflix. 

Edited by Adem, 03 March 2018 - 02:02 PM.

#659 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:22 PM

Yeahh, I don't get the lack of Netflix myself. The Wii, Wii U, and even the 3DS all have it. Hell, if it wasn't for my Wii U, and neighboring bar's wifi, I would have not had anything to watch when I lived up in "No Internet Land" as my phone was too shitty, and basic to pick up the wifi for whatever reason.

But where I am now, it's not that bad, since I am able to use it on my phone now. But considering Netflix is on virtually every other system, and built into every TV set made in the last five years, it is a weird omission.

#660 Arthas

Arthas

Adept

• Members

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:56 AM

App will come but I really can't stomach watching movies or tv shows on a tiny screen.

Update 5.0 has been released, might pave the way for many apps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users