Photo

Official "What video games are you playing right now?" topic

• Please log in to reply
4811 replies to this topic

#4516 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:14 AM

Just finished my replay of 3D Land. I take back almost every negative thing I've said about this game in the past. Almost every.

Well, okay. I've never been "negative" on this game so much as ambivalent, even when it was a new game. I thought the concept was neat but lacking and I was truly just looking for a new star-collection game, not what I thought amounted to "New Super Mario Bros. in 3D." Looking back though, it's not quite as simple as that, and it's still a fun little game with some solid level design and platforming. I don't know that I'd quite put it on the same level as the other 3D games still but overall it's still a great game.

But...

As I said before, the world map is boring and the boss variety isn't good at all. Not a single boss besides final Bowser is fun to fight, and Boom Boom and Pom Pom are incredibly weak bosses that shouldn't have come back in 3D World, but at least that game had a bit more boss variety. Also, while I skipped them thanks to using a completed file, the postgame special worlds are mostly remixed stages and just act as filler. There's a handful of stages that are new and original, but most of them aren't as good as the regular game levels. The final unlockable level is kind of haphazard and weak as well, consisting of many of the same kinds of platforming challenges and the only two interesting parts are a bit on the easy side.

Then there's unlocking it. Never again will I go through the pain of beating every level as Mario and Luigi and nabbing the top of the flagpole each time. That's just asinine, and maybe that's what soured my viewpoint on the game in retrospect. Taking that out, and I have little issue with the game. With that factor, the game gives me some hesitation... but only if I were playing a new file. If you have a completed file, this game is much more friendly to return to and enjoy.

Next up, Galaxy...

• Anthus likes this

#4517 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

I also started playing Galaxy 2, finally. I really, really hope we get an HD port with regular controls. Unlikely cause of how integral star bits are, but it's hard going back to a game that requires so much waggling, and pointing at the screen. It basically ruins Yoshi, imo. I still like the game itself, just not a fan of the controls.

#4518 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

Bought Majora's Mask 3D and Superstar Saga 3DS remake. Haven't played Majora's Mask in 6 years, kind of curious on how well will i like it because i remember not thinking much of it. Looking forward to the changes made to Superstar Saga.

Honestly, i needed to buy these games just to play something else. I've been playing Grim Dawn nearly non-stop for over a year and an half and this was made, i'll say, worse for lack of a better word when i became a beta tester for the game. Nearly 2k hours of playtime and i honestly can't blame myself because the amount of builds in this game seem almost endless.

#4519 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

I imagine if I was beta testing I'd want to suggest design changes, and they'd only want me to report bugs

#4520 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

They ask me to do both and more stuff. In my opinion, that's how beta testing should be.

• Cukeman likes this

#4521 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:35 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to mention another sort of negative with 3D Land, and that's its soundtrack. It's not very good. The main theme is catchy because you hear it a lot but it's not that great of a composition; the clock tower stage remix of it is especially uninteresting. The beach level theme as well as the final boss theme are great, but other than that, it's a boring and generic soundtrack. Hell, I think the Athletic SMB3 remix is stolen straight from Galaxy, but I'm not sure about that one. 3D World is a great improvement in this area, but a much better soundtrack would've done strides to make 3D Land a more memorable and better game in general.

#4522 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:46 PM

Got Skyrim on the Switch. I've played it/borrowed it a long time ago on PS3, so this will be my first real time. I'm enjoying it so far!

• Nathaniel and Matthew like this

#4523 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

Got Skyrim on the Switch. I've played it/borrowed it a long time ago on PS3, so this will be my first real time. I'm enjoying it so far!

I guess I'll see you in a few months then. :P

When you get far enough, you'll have to let us know whether you chose to join the Imperials or the Stormcloaks.  I'll put in my silent guess, based on what I think you might pick.  Of course I only played the PC version, so I'm not sure what changes they made, if any.

• Jared likes this

#4524 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:42 PM

I would like to give Skyrim another shot, actually. I had it for 360 back when it came out, and I liked it, but got stuck, and had a much shorter attention span for games. It would be nice to be able to take it anywhere though, which is the biggest draw to owning the Switch version. It uses the assets from the Remastered version, and has optional motion controls for combat.

My only complaint is it is a full price $60 game, but it is also available on Steam/ PC (with a plethora of mods, and a huge community available), PS4, and Xbone for half that price or less. Well, at least it come with all the DLC, which is cool, and portable. :D

I started a playthrough of Oracle of Seasons again, for the millionth time, maybe I'll finish it this time. I was close last time, but I lost my save when I re-modded my 3DS. I got a password generator from Zelda Dungeon, and I'm playing a linked game. The game thinks I beat OoA, but I didn't, and probably won't. I rarely say this, but this is one game where I think it is best enjoyed with an emulator. The main reason is, the screen is bigger, and you can speed up some of the slower parts, if you want to, but I only do this in the very beginning. I've seen the first three dungeons so many times, I wish I could just start at Dancing Dragon. :P

• Jared likes this

#4525 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:16 AM

Been going through Galaxy and enjoying it, mostly. There's the occasional moments of dull level design, a fair few annoying camera screws, and some instances of the controls not responding as well as you'd like thanks to the shifty gravity, but it's overall a really fun ride as always. Another kind of nitpick that came to mind though is that... coins are absolutely worthless in this game other than health refill. Seriously, there's no point to picking them up. You get an extra life for collecting 50, but you get that with star bits too... and they're infinitely more plentiful. Tossing a few coins in here and there would've been fine, but there are times when they're thrown all over the place and you have absolutely no use for them. In that sense, they feel like a waste of time being there, at least when they appear in large numbers. At least Galaxy 2 added Lumas that want to devour your coins... as unhealthy as that might sound.

Also, I will always find it baffling they thought they could get away with taking Honeyhive Galaxy and mirroring it to pass it off as a whole new galaxy (Gold Leaf Galaxy). Honeyhive was super boring to begin with; mirroring it's not gonna fix that. I'm actually going to skip it, that's how little I care about it.

But yeah, other than these, the game's still great. It has a spectacular scale and score and has a wonderful charm to it, from the visuals (which still look great even after just playing Odyssey) to the sound design. And Rosalina's storybook is still a wonderful way to tell a character's backstory while also hitting you right in the feels; I'd kill to have a physical version of this book and save it to tell bedtime stories to my future kids. I'm thinking from memory that Galaxy 2's still a lot better, but that doesn't make this game not awesome in its own way.

Also, apparently I'd made it to 83 stars as Luigi on my original file... ? Maybe I'll just finish up the main game on the new file and perhaps a few extras, then go fully complete that Luigi file so that I can at last say I've actually 100%'d Galaxy. It and Sunshine are the only 3D Mario games I've never gotten 100% in.

#4526 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

Got some good games from Black Friday:

From Half-Price Books:

Dark Cloud 2 (FINALLY a complete copy, and it was cheaper than usual!)

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (Now I have physical copies of every FE game released in America; cart had both Eirika and Ephraim with creature campaign, and a lot of characters with 3 strength, for some reason)

Arc the Lad Collection (Actually, it's a Christmas Gift for my sister. No manual, but still, $40 for a Working Designs RPG is a nice deal)

From GameStop:

Dragon Quest 8 3DS (I own the Ps2 version, but I'm actually going to play the 3ds version, because it's portable)

Paper Mario: Color Splash (It was 50% off, so I decided to get it. It's... actually a lot of fun. Great deal at this price!)

From Best Buy:

Guardian Amiibo (It looks super badass.)

From Steam: 

The massive 59 Genesis games pack (about $15.50 for 59 Genesis games? Sold.)

Wizardry 6-8 (I've been itching to get into Wizardry 8 for a LONG time, and it was only 75 cents more to also get 6/7. It's going to take a LONG time to play through 8.)

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#4527 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:12 AM

I also started playing Galaxy 2, finally. I really, really hope we get an HD port with regular controls. Unlikely cause of how integral star bits are, but it's hard going back to a game that requires so much waggling, and pointing at the screen. It basically ruins Yoshi, imo. I still like the game itself, just not a fan of the controls.

Also I missed this before, but just wanted to say I found this comment humorous considering there's arguably more waggle in Odyssey. In Galaxy there's just the spin attack; in Odyssey, there's faster rolling, faster climbing, additional moves from various captures including faster movement, easier spin throw, homing cap throw, etc. I guess it depends whether or not you opt to take advantage of those, but I did most of the time and honestly I caught myself shaking the Wiimote in Galaxy trying to climb poles faster to no avail. :P

Odyssey doesn't have pointing though I guess.

#4528 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

Well, my Switch collection has grown way too much in the past month. My most recent games, are ones that I will be trying to play over the next while. Those include...

-Fire Emblem Warriors (x2 wtf??) I'm quite thrilled about this game, even though I haven't played a single Fire Emblem game before. It's fun regardless.

-Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack - I'm finding this game to be a lot of fun, it's very Mega Man like, and is a lot of fun from what I've played so far.

-Tiny Barbarian DX- I wasn't really expecting a lot out of this game, but it's got a great old-school feel to it, and I have had quite a bit of fun with it already.

-RiME- This is a fairly fun game with an interesting concept behind it, although it needs some work, and hopefully gets some updates to improve performance.

-Superbeat: Xonic- This game is nuts, but quite fun. It's a very difficult (to me) rhythm game, but I'm enjoying it so far.

-Sine Mora EX- A game that's very Galaga-like, and I've had a blast with it in the couple hours I've been able to put into it.

-Axiom Verge- GREAT game, and very Super Metroid-like in it's design, and I can't get enough of the music.

-Ittle Dew 2+- I just recently played the first game on Steam which influenced my decision to get this game. This one is pretty challenging, but is well designed and enjoyable.

-Snipperclips Plus: Cut It Out, Together- Fun game with friends or family.

-Splatoon 2- Not really a new game, but it's got the new stages trickling in, so it's got some freshness :lol: to it.

A few game that I need to get back to and finish would include...

-Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon

-Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

-Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star

-Cave Story+

-Disgaea 5 Complete

I've got a lot of games that I have been playing, or need to get back to, so I won't need to worry about needing to find a game to play for a while. I love my Switch!1

• Anthus likes this

#4529 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:12 PM

Odyssey doesn't have pointing though I guess.

Yeah, that was the thing. It's not the motion controls themselves I don't like, it's the pointing. But I'm weird, cause I like the pointing to aim the bow in SS, and TP, but don't like collecting star bits, or more egregiously, using Yoshi's tongue. That could have easily been a button. It worked just fine in Sunshine with a button. For me at least, it just feels really off to be pointing at the screen, using the B button to lick, and A to jump. You also have no way to move the camera while doing this, and when the camera moves dynamically, it can get disorienting. I don't mind Odyssey's motion controls cause they are largely optional, and yes, no mandatory pointing. Unless you are going for 100%, you would never need to use them. I do use them though, especially now, but I didn't at first.

edit: I wanted to get RiME, it looks really nice. I've heard, and seen that the Switch port was not handled as good as it could have been though, which is sad cause the game looks pretty fun. Kinda reminds me of Ico/ The Last Guardian a bit.

#4530 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:46 AM

Alright, got my fill of Galaxy's single-player stars and beat the game, switching over to my old Luigi file. It had been... very thorough. I didn't open any of the worlds in the garden room yet but every single other star up until that point had been collected. Including most of the hardest stars in the game. So that makes things a little easier on me... I went ahead and beat Deep Dark Galaxy as well as Matter Splatter Galaxy, so now I'm at 93 stars. I think I actually had 87 stars before instead of 83 and I just misread the number when I posted about it last. I didn't beat Bowser yet in this file, which I'm going to have to so I can do all the purple comets... Looking forward to that one the least. And then I can finally say I 100%'d Galaxy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users