Photo

Graphics freezing, gameplay continues in background

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 khananaphone

khananaphone

• Members

Posted 22 December 2018 - 09:30 PM

Versions: 2.50.3, 2.53 (various beta releases)

Windows 10

What will happen is that the graphics just completely stop doing anything, even though I can still hear the game working, and I can still move/attack/etc. Here's a video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/349620890

Aside from the game graphics not working, none of the menus work either. If I try to close the window, the confirmation dialog doesn't show (even though I think it's probably there).

I haven't found any patterns that cause this to happen. It has happened within 10 minutes of opening the progress, but it has also happened 4 hours+ in. 

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:50 AM

This is a known bug that we lovingly refer to as the Rainbow Death Crash. The bad news is that apparently the cause is buried so deep in the Allegro library itself that Zoria can't isolate or fix it. Running ZC with DXGL might make it less frequent as well as fixing other performance issues, but aside from that the only way to deal with it when it does happen is:

1. Press F6 - This will open the End Current Game popup.
  2. Press enter - This will confirm to end the game.
  3. Press down once to select save. A sound should play when you do this.
  4. Press enter and wait a bit for it to save. You can confirm it's saved when pressing up or down makes a different sound, or by trying to load a quest with enter.
  5. Close out of ZC and press enter to confirm.

This way at least you won't lose your saved progress to the bug. On previous versions there was a catastrophic rare bug combination that could eat keyboard inputs and prevent saving, but 2.53 should have fixed this.

• Anthus likes this

#3 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:51 AM

Versions: 2.50.3, 2.53 (various beta releases)

Windows 10

What will happen is that the graphics just completely stop doing anything, even though I can still hear the game working, and I can still move/attack/etc. Here's a video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/349620890

Aside from the game graphics not working, none of the menus work either. If I try to close the window, the confirmation dialog doesn't show (even though I think it's probably there).

I haven't found any patterns that cause this to happen. It has happened within 10 minutes of opening the progress, but it has also happened 4 hours+ in. 

Using 2.53, either in ZLaunch (ZCL), or in zc.cfg, you should try changing the windowed mode video driver.

Start with DXGL, then GDIB, and the others, one at a time, and see what works for you. The easiest way to do this is to run ZLaunch.exe, and click on the Drivers tab (2.53 and above, only); then select a driver from the menu, and try it.

If all of those fail, then you move on to DXGL, which is a separate utility that you can run to allow old DX7/8 programmes to run properly on newer systems.

#4 khananaphone

khananaphone

• Members

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:45 PM

Alright cool thanks for the help, I'll try all the drivers and let you know.

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:35 AM

Alright cool thanks for the help, I'll try all the drivers and let you know.

Did either option solve this for you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users