Photo

Screenshot of the Week 329

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (60 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:10 PM

aa2 - 4/10
Design is very simple, and can use improvement. There isn't much variety in the detail, and it looks very unnatural due to the amount of bordering that is in a straight line. I'm not big on the color combination either, especially with the high brightness of the orange grass. It is a workable screen, but nothing impressive. Look for some inspiration from others.

DigiPro31279 - 4/10
Functional, but boring. There really isn't much to look at here when it comes to design.

Lightwulf - 6/10
Even a classic screen can look decent with a good amount of effort, which this screen appears to have a lot more of than the previous two, even though it isn't the most impressive thing out there. The facade of the building is certainly nice, but from this perspective, it looks as if there are no walls on the side. Just a front, back, and roof, and I'm sure it was meant to have those side walls. But other than that, functionality is good, and there was plenty of thought process going on from what I can tell.

Pabru - 6/10
Decent looking throne room, but I have seen better being done. Not a necessity, but it might look better if you tried to change the shape of the room to something other than the standard maximum allowed rectangular shape for one screen. It seems to limit what you can do with such a screen, thus the urge to try to fill in otherwise empty corners with identical pots. If the default dimensions don't work, one option is to simply change them by making the room smaller and/or non-rectangular. A cross-shaped or t-shaped room might work, but there are certainly many other options.

Yoshidude - 7/10
Great overall design. Ground details are quite nice, the shadowing certainly gives it that extra touch of a third dimension, and the overall effort is without a doubt well done. If there is a way to have a good border around the upper river banks, that would certainly make the screen look even better.

Cukeman - 7/10
I think I sort of see what you did there with the upper part of the screen, which is supposed to be upside down. It's clearly meant to be a concept screen, which certainly adds that element of wonder for the viewer, which is also usually a good thing. To get down to the more technical elements, the design of the ground looks okay, so there is certainly room to improve there.

Jared - 7/10
Very dark, but that is clearly intentional here. From what I can see of it, the design looks nice. Goes to show that the spook element can still be strong in a room with three keese. The subscreen has grown on me since my earliest impressions.

Keiichi123 - 7/10
Another effortful screen. Not the #1 most interesting of the bunch for me, but it looks great for your everyday mostly natural (with some manmade) overworld screen.

linktopower - 6/10
I do have a soft side for the Adventure of Link, and thus an effort to recreate with those tiles. Too bad it would be mostly limited to sidescroller screens, but making them are certainly legit. I do wonder how far you can go with a screen like this, but I am guessing that you can go further. Can look better I think, but I like where you are going with it.

Lots of screens, but not one of the better weeks, in my opinion. However, that is not to say it is a bad week either. There are a share of good screens here, which I may have begged to differ if I just skimmed them all in a few seconds. Sometimes I get that impression from people who only make a very short statement about how nothing was impressive to them, regardless of how they vote.

As for the tilesets people choose to use, use what you like. Just because it doesn't work out for one doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work out for somebody else. People choose what tilesets to get used to and improve on. Never blame the tileset. Only blame one's lack of motivation or confidence at improving at a task.

Anyway, who did I vote for? I decided this time to vote for Yoshidude. Despite my disagreement on his comments (which have nothing to do with his screen), I still think his screen was the most pleasing among them.

#17 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

linktopower - 6/10- Nathaniel
I do have a soft side for the Adventure of Link, and thus an effort to recreate with those tiles. Too bad it would be mostly limited to sidescroller screens, but making them are certainly legit. I do wonder how far you can go with a screen like this, but I am guessing that you can go further. Can look better I think, but I like where you are going with it.

hey thanks if you want to you can try my demo of my game here-
--------------
http://www.purezc.co...showtopic=50508
--------------

#18 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

aaa2: I couldn't tell if this was serious or not. I recommend to stay in the first 3 CSets of DoR. Good luck! 2/10

DigiPro31279: Caverns are not shaped like this in real life. No cave is straight. Make it look more natural icon_wink.gif Like the palette and the choice of tiles, though! Also wall decorations are a must. 3/10

Lighwulf: I really like the design. But, ice surrounding stone mountains without some kind of transition...no. And the style clash isn't too bad. i would use darkened brick tiles for the top. 6/10

Pabru: Not going to lie. This is one of my favorites this week. The walls are strange, though. They just don't fit! 8/10

Yoshidude: Very nice! I love the design of the Hero's Pass remade, too. But, the top river looks strange without a transition. 9/10

Cukeman: Uhh....I don't know what to say. 7/10

Me: i like it. It's supposed to be dark, by the way.

Keiichi123: This looks WAY too similar to someone elses screens....and I think you know who. No offense...actually, forget that. Very nice, except for the tile error thing where the mountains meet in the top middle. 8/10

LinkToPower: Arn't you glad I gave you those tiles? icon_smile.gif
Looks amazing, bud! The background's a bit empty, though. 9/10

In the end, I voted for Yoshidude. Great job, pal. Keep going, and don't let anyone bring you down!

#19 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Jul 18 2011, 12:30 AM) View Post

Yoshidude: Very nice! I love the design of the Hero's Pass remade, too. But, the top river looks strange without a transition. 9/10
Believe me, I would have put a river transition, but GB doesn't have the tiles for that, (Unless somebody could give/make some custom ones for me icon_wink.gif )

#20 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Jul 17 2011, 10:30 PM) View Post

Keiichi123: This looks WAY too similar to someone elses screens....and I think you know who. No offense...actually, forget that. Very nice, except for the tile error thing where the mountains meet in the top middle. 8/10

Ummm, no. I really don't. I made this screen in about 2 minutes just for filler. I wouldn't go so low and copy someone else's screens. So unless you have absolute proof, please don't say it.

#21 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE(Yoshidude @ Jul 18 2011, 12:33 AM) View Post

Believe me, I would have put a river transition, but GB doesn't have the tiles for that, (Unless somebody could give/make some custom ones for me icon_wink.gif )

Don't worry, it's ot that hard. Try yourself! icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Jul 18 2011, 12:34 AM) View Post

Ummm, no. I really don't. I made this screen in about 2 minutes just for filler. I wouldn't go so low and copy someone else's screens. So unless you have absolute proof, please don't say it.

Actually, no. I was wrong. It just looked similar to Age of Destiny. Sorry.

#22 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:02 AM

Jared and Keiichi put so much thought and detail into their shots. I ended up voting for Keiichi it's a major improvement to his other shots it also reminded me of my Screenshot of the Week 315 entry.

#23 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:05 AM

Now that i saw my screen in comparison to the other ones i can see why it sucks, i guess i need to put more details such as leaves and other things and rough it up a bit. That said my personal favourite screen this week was Cukeman. Looks very surreal, what i really love. I always like surreal looking worlds

#24 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:17 AM

Cukeman's is best this week. Not only the detailing is great, but the idea... perfect. Extremely unique.

#25 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE(Christian @ Jul 17 2011, 10:04 PM) View Post

It's a tie between yoshidude and keichi123 for me.

This. Not only am I very impressed with how far the two of you have come, but both of these shots are quite pleasing. I'm stumped.

#26 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

aaa2
I'm interested in what's going on here with all the crazy colours. But there's plenty of room for improvement. The grass seems very straight and boxy. Try varying this up by having the grass come in and out a bit. There isn't much detail and the grass pattern is repetitive. To fix this, try adding some things like flowers, and use the SD3 grass to its fullest extent by using the rest of those grass tiles. I find the rocks in the bottom left a bit strange. While sure it blocks the corner, there are other ways to do it that look better. I'm also not fond of the fence on the top being so straight. While sure, it may make sense to have a straight fence, it doesn't look very interesting. I understand you may be trying to block the player from going north, but there are other ways you can go about this. Experiment and see what you can do to vary it up a little. icon_smile.gif

DigiPro31279
It's a pretty straight forward Pure cave. The walls are very straight, something I'd avoid. Make them wave in and out, since caves aren't perfectly straight like that and it looks better that way anyway. It helps vary the screen up. Now, I'd also invest some into getting some ground detail going on. Also, if I may, I'd recommend replacing those passages with actual doorways. In some cases, a passage looks good, but in this case I'd say a doorway would look better.

Lightwulf
Interesting classic screen here. It's pretty good, but there's a few problems I have. There's a noticeable amount of style clash that stands out too much. The hammer posts don't really look like they belong, and the roof look strange in the classic environment. It also seems cramped to me, with very little walk-able space.

Pabru
It's a pretty simple dungeon shot, but the major issue here is that the walls are not used correctly and look very strange. They're supposed to be two tiles, not just one. I'd try to spice it up with some more variance in some ground detail, since it looks very symmetrical. While this is okay for dungeons to some degree, you can still add some extra details like rubble, skulls or something to make the two sides different and make it a bit more interesting.

Yoshidude
Roikai falls? Hee hee.

Ahem.

Solid GB screen. My biggest gripe is how there's no transition from the ground and water in the upper portion. That, and how there's only one tile of walking space on the right when the player enters the screen. I can't really offer much in the way of suggestions or anything. Well done.

Cukeman
So trippy. It's definitely interesting though and the designs all right. I would suggest more variance in the ground detail. Very very interesting...I can't really say much else.

Jared
Dark, eerie dungeon shot. Love it. Solid design and a great feeling of danger. It seems like there's something truly challenging beyond that door. My only issue is the arrow pointing down seems so out of place. But dang, I like what I see here.

Keiichi123
A very solid entry. Design's good and everything seems in check. There's a few smaller things that seem off, like how the brush is kind of extending over the mountain, and that mountain portion going upward doesn't seem to mesh well with how you've got it. I'm almost certain there's tiles that allow for these situations, but I'm not sure. Great work. icon_smile.gif

linktopower
Ooh, Zelda 2 kind of stuff going on here? I like it. It's simple, clean and to the point. The pillars seem off to me for some reason or another, but it's a solid screen. Nicely done. :3

In the end, I went with Jared. I love a good dungeon shot, and his definitely delivered this. icon_smile.gif

#27 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

This week's a real split between Yoshidude and Keiichi for me. To be honest, I never thought I'd be split like that, but you've both improved so much recently. Yoshidude, I think it's safe to say GB is the tileset for you. I've seen that screen before, but not in that tileset, and none of the other tilesets you've shown it in really give it proper justice. Keiichi, I have one complaint. The forest brush looks like it's handing over the edge of the cliff, which creates some problems with the laws of nature. But still, a good screen. In fact, my vote goes here.

#28 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Jul 18 2011, 01:02 AM) View Post

Jared and Keiichi put so much thought and detail into their shots. I ended up voting for Keiichi it's a major improvement to his other shots it also reminded me of my Screenshot of the Week 315 entry.
It wasn't so easy to make my screen either. icon_confused.gif

#29 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:52 PM

First of all, I'd like to say I was surprised when I saw the lineup. I think there are a lot of great screens and ideas presented. I say good job everyone!

I know who M.C. Escher is, so I thought that was cool!

QUOTE(SpacemanDan @ Jul 18 2011, 11:33 AM) View Post

Interesting classic screen here. It's pretty good, but there's a few problems I have. There's a noticeable amount of style clash that stands out too much. The hammer posts don't really look like they belong, and the roof look strange in the classic environment. It also seems cramped to me, with very little walk-able space.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I was a little iffy about my palace design, and I figured it was high time some feedback would be in order.

I was faced with the dilemma that a "palace" wouldn't just just have one of the standard dungeon entrances. So, I fused a brick tile with some of the standard tiles for the walls. I may just have been hasty with choosing the roof tiles because I had used the roof tiles for other houses (in different CSets as well). Not sure what I'll change them to that would fit the 'style'. Does anyone think that a large 2D entrance (vice the 3D overhead shot that my screen has) would be a better idea?

As for the transition, I planned this area to have a kind of magic barrier inside of which everything is cold.

However, I know what you mean about it being cramped. I originally just had dungeon entrance tiles, so it kind of became cramped when I created the palace. I can fix that, though! Thanks for pointing it out. (I created this screen a while ago.)

SpacemanDan, I wasn't sure exactly what you meant about the posts. Do you mean the post tiles themselves or where I placed the posts on the screen?

#30 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

Yoshi, you nailed it. And I usually hate transparent overhangs in GB. But you make it look so good. I'm impressed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users