Photo

Screenshot of the Week 213

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 213 (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite screen!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

Ya, well, I didn't like the way EathBound used them. It's just easier for me to use them this way. Horrible or not, my EB quest will use them.

#32 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:11 PM

Well, I worked on the shot a bit, I think it looks a lot better now. Too bad I couldn't submit this one instead. I'm still working on the wood roofing of the building, but I can't find a good way to texture it. To clarify, it IS a building, the problem is that the door is on the North end.

Old
IPB Image
New
IPB Image

To Russ: If you're going to use the mountains the way you do, I suggest editing them so they look good that way, otherwise, you really should change your style.

Blaman: It's a great shot concerning screen design, and I love it whenever someone uses my subscreen frames. But the shot itself, is the kind of shot I swear I've seen a million times.

GrayOx: I think this screen is one of the best here, it looks like it could've been in an official gameboy zelda. The screen though, it lacks action, if you simply added a few tektites to this screen when you submitted, it could've been better.

LiH: My first problem with this screen, is how LOUD it is. I suggest ditching clipped bush combos for ground details. That block mountain in the bottom right corner, is really bugging me as well. The colors could use some softening as well.

Moonwhisper: My only advice here is to unstraighten the mountains a bit. Or make hanging canopies of earth hanging on the edge, so it just start at the top, and descend straight down to the bottom. Rather, make it lumpy on the way down.

Nuvo: It apparently sucks.

Plissken: The screen design is beautiful, and the transparent water is a nice touch. However, game wise, I can just see that this screen is a worthless screen to have. It's all dead-ends, unless one of those bushes has a staircase under it. I suggest a bridge of some sort.

Russ: You use these "snes" graphics in a GB style, which isn't good, (but seeing as how you're not going to change it...). It could've been a lot better if you stayed true to the style. Also, if these aren't earthbound's true colors already, I suggest mellowing out the colors a bit, adding blue hues to it would be an easy fix.

#33 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:12 PM

Russ' don't look as good, but the way EarthBound used them looked like it would use a ridiculous amount of tiles.

Nuvo- new version is way better, but why did you change the mountains to silver? I like the Brown Ones better for that type of screen.

Edited by LostInHyru1e, 03 June 2008 - 09:13 PM.

#34 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:17 PM

I changed them to gray because my original palette with the brown mountains didn't have a single gray in it, so I put them back in to have a concrete building, and gray rocks. I suppose I could take the browns I already have, and put them on the mountains, but that's gonna take a bit of time to replace every single gray mountain combo in the screens I have to brown. But if I get enough support enough to put it back to brown mountains, I'll do the work.

#35 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE(Nuvo @ Jun 3 2008, 10:11 PM) View Post

Plissken: The screen design is beautiful, and the transparent water is a nice touch. However, game wise, I can just see that this screen is a worthless screen to have. It's all dead-ends, unless one of those bushes has a staircase under it. I suggest a bridge of some sort.

Funny you should say that, I realized that right after I sent the PM . I loved it so much that I had it basically replaced the one beside it, but I changed it up a bit and it serves it's purpose. I just sent the PM and was like, "...****"

#36 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:13 PM

Nuvo, that new one looks great!

#37 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:57 AM

Wow,
Nuvo, that second shot looks waaay better. I disagree with LostInHyru1e, I think that the grey mountains look much better. But I don't like the colour of the ground, I think that it would look way better if it was less "Pure-like" in apperance.

#38 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:31 AM

QUOTE(Nuvo @ Jun 4 2008, 04:11 AM) View Post

Old
IPB Image
New
IPB Image

Altough I already voted for you, the second is so much better that it is bound to be one of the best screens I ever saw. I like the brown mountains better by default, but the gray ones are at least newer, plus maybe they fit this screen better. The roof is absolutely OK for me, at least I probably couldn't do better. But you could, that plank roof is wonderful there.

#39 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE(jimmyb @ Jun 4 2008, 02:57 AM) View Post

Wow,
Nuvo, that second shot looks waaay better. I disagree with LostInHyru1e, I think that the grey mountains look much better. But I don't like the colour of the ground, I think that it would look way better if it was less "Pure-like" in apperance.

Well, which colors don't you like? The dirt? The grass? I'm actually gonna do grass textures sometime.

#40 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:16 AM

Wow, it looks like this is going to be a difficult pick this week. Many enjoyable screens from quests I hope to play. Well, I better get to commentting, and voting.

blaman- Good looking Forest screen. I like that you have a ledge in there to seperate the areas instead of a hedge. (lol A ledge instead of a hedge) Easy on the eyes. Good work.

gray0x- Still loving it man. I think this is a better looking screen as far as setup compared to last weeks. I like the setup. But one thing. >.> How do you know the difference between deep and shallow water? Is there going to be a color difference? (Probably, just thought I'd ask just in case.)

LostInHyru1e- I like this screen. It has a very good setup and everything. There is one little issue I think. In my opinion, it almost seems a little crowded for a beach. When I think of a beach, I think of open, or semi-open space, not meaning there should only be sand. I guess if you have any questions, just PM me, and I might have what I'm trying to say figured out on how to say it.

Moonwhipser- NIce screen. I like how you have things laid out. It's got a nice balance in it also. One thing though, the submenu kinda seems to clash with the playfield. It almost feels like it doesn't belong or something. Perhaps you could tone it down a little, like making it a darker blue.

Nuvo- Good screen Nuvo. Good setup, and good concept. Just be sure to be quiet though, while walking past, don't wanna wake him. ^_^ Good work.

Plissken- Wonderful screen Plissken. Love the colors you have, and I think the transparent water is just completely awesome. I like the setup of the screen too. The submenu is quite pleasent to look at also. All in all, I think this is a superb screen all around. Great job. *Votes*

Russ- Wow, what a bright screen. I would have to say, yes, those are very good SNES graphics. I like how you used them too. Good setup, and neat idea. Good job.

Difficult pickings this week. Everyone sent in some great shots. It's nice to see so many great looking shots. Good work guys!

#41 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:54 PM

This week's SotW winner is...... Plissken! Congrats on the win! You will move on to SotM. icon_razz.gif

The next SotW will be posted shortly. Thanks. icon_razz.gif

#42 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:21 PM

I was the only one who vote gray0x how convenient!

Grrr, i like gb graphics's so sue me -_-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users